test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

$ Solution to STO's Monetary/Currency Problem: Decimation $

Comments

• hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Thank you to the Devs for raising the caps.
    hanover2 wrote: »
    In before someone screeches for moderator intervention....

Why would they?

Because someone said something vaguely political, and there are posters here who just cannot help but appoint themselves enforcers of thread content policy.
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Personally, I found that very questionable Dev behavior. Cryptic should not cater to the wims of a handful of super-rich.

If you say so.
    They did what was best for everyone though.

Well, everyone except the ship-flippers.

This is on the level with "the government should not cater to the whims of a handful of super-smart climate scientists, the people want coal, and they want it now."

Exchange troofers are really the STO equivalent of climate change troofers.

I've seen my share of odd hypotheses, having studied rocks myself. o_O
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Of the 'Pet' kind? :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Of many kinds actually. No pet rocks, although having one would very likely be indicative of the strange merging of reality with pixels on a computer screen that I see folks in this mmo commonly do. :P
    Actually, in the late 70s they were 'real', marketed and sold. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    I don't think you understand what I meant there. ;)
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Cue the space poors who can't figure out a fake video game economy to whine about the "super rich cabal" or whatever.

Cue the space rich who can't figure out a video game should not be catering to 5 or so superwealthy people and their ilk.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Take 30 minutes and learn how the game economy works. It's not hard at all!
    How about giving the instructions on a nice series of images you guys can make to explain to those who would love to learn how the game economy works, then?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    It took me about 5 minutes -- and that's a very liberal estimate -- to fill up all my ec caps again. Decimation really is the only option that makes sense for the many players in the game with more ec than the cap allows.

Cue the space poors who can't figure out a fake video game economy to whine about the "super rich cabal" or whatever.
    What method(s) do you use? Admiralty? Crafting? Doffing? Reputations? Selling Stuffz? All of the above?

The only one of those I do, is selling stuffz, and seeing as I turned 20'000 into 33M in about a week, almost entirely through use of the daily fluctuations of stuff, with some reasonable markups on some ships, with no crazy price gouging, I think that shows I have a good grasp of trading and can make it work for me.

Now, if there's a better way to do even more, and it only takes five minutes (and is replicatable by Any New Player, not just someone with seven years worth of quality resources under their belt ;) ) I'd like to know how to go about doing that :)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    Someone once told me many or most of life's lessons could be found in 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Here's one:

'Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain'.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Someone once told me many or most of life's lessons could be found in 'The Wizard of Oz'.

Here's one:

https://media.giphy.com/media/7iNOMPvd3nG12/giphy

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth

Here's one:

Here's another pearl of wisdom, 'Let not a gouger, nor a gougee be.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nccmax2nccmax2 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    -
    nccmax2 wrote: »
    why would we do that, how is your problem, our problem. we figured it out, so that means you can to. if you don't wont to, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

How's about you use some proper punctuation, and spelling checker, when you're going to belittle someone?! We figured it out, so that means you can too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2017
    nccmax2 wrote: »
    why would we do that, how is your problem, our problem. we figured it out, so that means you can to. if you don't wont to, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

How's about you use some proper punctuation, and spelling checker, when you're going to belittle someone?! We figured it out, so that means you can too.
    :D Pwned by a girl in a bonnet* :D

* ;)<3
    Post edited by silverlobes#2676 on

• vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    The Solution in my opinion is quite simple. Create more sinks and increase the amount of EC for the current sinks. I would suggest increase fleet projects cost in EC by 5, rep projects by 10. Create vanity items for sale by NPC vendors, starting in the millions and up. Remove EC from the admiralty system, maybe cost 50k to run a project, as it rewards dil and other goodies. As others have suggested make items in the GPL store worth while to encourage people to play dabo.

And last but not least, run the phoenix box at least once a year and make it cost EC. Something along the lines of 10m EC each. That would greatly help combat EC inflation. Some of these are as easy as changing values in the game. Cryptic wants to encourage people to play more but not grind to their eyeballs bleed then having the rep and fleet projects harder to fill with EC would accomplish both those goals. 15k to run one rep project? 500k to start one fleet project is laughable. Even when I was a simple space millionaire I could easily afford those costs. Any level 50+ player with a basic understanding of the game can easily do that by themselves per day.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
    We are probably getting another Phoenix Prize Pack Event shortly as they made changes to the Phoenix 'Store' in the latest patch on Tribble. They use that to drain Dilitium out of the Economy. They won't switch Phoenix to EC.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    Derailing your own thread? :smirk:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I've got 2b ec I would pay tonight for a device that caused nearby player characters to turn and salute me.

Call it a Veteran Officer's Decoration or something.

Im not as rich as you but the distinction of having that emote would be worth 500m to a billion to me. The problem with that idea is I would believe most of us space rich hoard our wealth, at least I do.
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    It's not a derail - there have been a lot of different ideas kicked around in this thread on how to handle ec, from raised caps to ec sinks to decimation. That comment is very much in line with the general subject matter of the thread.

As Druk likes to say: "Education is the silver bullet."

That goes for mods, too!

Ah! I get it. As an EC sink. Sorry, I was tired when I read it the first time and didn't make the connection.

Wait... Did you just threaten me with a silver bullet??? :open_mouth::wink:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    We are probably getting another Phoenix Prize Pack Event shortly as they made changes to the Phoenix 'Store' in the latest patch on Tribble. They use that to drain Dilitium out of the Economy. They won't switch Phoenix to EC.

Hmm, I fear the change may just have been this:

New items have been added to the Phoenix Prize Redemption Stores!
    Tier 3
    Elachi Subspace Rift Module
    Tritanium Rending Bat'leth (KDF only)
    Young Nanov - Vanity Pet (ROM only)

By the goddess, I was really hoping for that Phoenix box. :(
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I've got 2b ec I would pay tonight for a device that caused nearby player characters to turn and salute me.

And I'd subsequently pay 2.1 billion EC for a 'Salute nullifier.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited June 2017

See the sink would work.

A good sink is one that people buy zen, convert to EC, and sink into the thing.

It's why the Phoenix Box is such a good sink, and fleets used to be. People buy zen to get dil to do the phoenix box.

Definitely.

On the matter of EC Inflation, they should either create worthwhile EC sinks, or -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- remove the outrageous, gratuitous EC rewards from the Admiralty.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

See the sink would work.

A good sink is one that people buy zen, convert to EC, and sink into the thing.

It's why the Phoenix Box is such a good sink, and fleets used to be. People buy zen to get dil to do the phoenix box.

Definitely.

On the matter of EC Inflation, they should either create worthwhile EC sinks, or -- and I can't believe I'm saying this -- remove the outrageous, gratuitous EC rewards from the Admiralty.

I say they do both. Admirality should <i>not</i> generating EC, it should be costing EC. As it rewards Dil and other goodies. Another idea is to create more vanity projects for the holdings and/or re-release the old ones and have the currency as EC instead of Dil. The other which I think long overdue is having a Starbase 6th Tier. With the previous progession model intact. Now coming up with the rewards for such a venture is the issue there. I believe one thing that would help motivate more fleet activity is having fleet holdings cost the user something to be invited. Why build your own Tier 5 Starbase when NoP will invite you to thiers for free? Maybe a vendor token or something.

Admiral%20sig%202.png