test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which show are you looking forward to more? Discovery or the Orville

2»

Comments

• lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    The Orville
    That Orville is winning and it's not even close is a bad sign for Discovery, I blame the weird looking Klingons.
  • potentialbff#9168 potentialbff Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    TBH honest both look pretty good so I guess my answer is both!
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Other
    The Orville doesn't look like a good show to me, in the least. Oh, it has decent looking SFX, the uniforms seem decent enough and some of the characters look decent.

But the thing that's keeping me from liking it is Seth MacFarlane. His style of comedy is very hit or miss with me. Mostly miss. And from what I heard as far as dialog goes from the clips I've seen leads me to believe this will be a miss as well.

The show may look good, but that doesn't mean it will be good. I don't plan on watching it at all simply because even if it turns out to be the best show made in the last 10 years, with ratings not seen since the series finale of M*A*S*H*, Fox will cancel it after 9 episodes. Because this is Fox we're talking about.

ST:D on the other hand looks to have decent SFX, the uniforms look good and some of the characters seem to fit the look of Star Trek. I can adapt to the changes in the look of the "future technology" considering this show will take place 10 years before the cardboard and Styrofoam sets from ToS. ToS was 50+ years ago and if it were created today would end up looking very similar to ST:D.

That said, I'm not holding out much hope for this series. So many naysayers are burying the show before even one episode has been shown that in order to overcome the negativity, the show would have to pull in numbers like the Super Bowl for the fan-critics to shut up. And I don't see that happening.

Don't misunderstand, I want to like it as it's official Star Trek and I've been waiting a long time for Trek to come back to TV. Too bad it's not ON TV though. With any luck it will survive long enough to hit home video as that will be the only way I will see it. I won't pay for their stupid service to watch one show. Especially since my internet connection is fairly slow and I can't even stream YouTube without doing low quality or having to buffer every 10 seconds.

So I guess my vote would have to go to 'other'.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery
    iamynaught wrote: »
    ST:D on the other hand looks to have decent SFX, the uniforms look good and some of the characters seem to fit the look of Star Trek. I can adapt to the changes in the look of the "future technology" considering this show will take place 10 years before the cardboard and Styrofoam sets from ToS. ToS was 50+ years ago and if it were created today would end up looking very similar to ST:D.
    So much this. Gene once said in an interview, that part of why he liked making TAS was that they could come up with almost any outlandish setting they could imagine, and not worry about the costs of building sets or props. Anything an animator could draw could get on screen... ANY thing!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery
    I do like the ship in the trailer, nice step up from the NX
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
      Other
      The release of The Punisher season1, and Season ! of the Defenders on Netflix
    • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
      Star Trek Discovery
      Gonna post this here... Alex Kurtzman talked about Discovery while promoting his new movie remake of The Mummy.

This, at least, shows a couple of things that the OP's video potentially got DEAD WRONG:
      • Kurtzman is still involved with the show.
      • Fuller apparently left Discovery because the demands of showrunning it and American Gods was too much to handle.
      • Much of what Fuller envisioned is still intact.

While it's not exactly clear if the designs of Discovery were Fuller's ideas (although, Nicholas Meyer says the show looks the way it does intentionally, and it "fills a niche" in the timeline, largely thanks to Fuller)... but that doesn't matter. The moral of the story is: don't believe random hype on the internet, and take it for what it is.
      d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg