test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will New Exchange CAP increase serve to increase price gouging?

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Yeah man you're missing the n/a option if anything it will FIX price gouging and drive prices down on things like promo boats because now there's a comparable market supply and knowledge of such instead of it being whoever happens to be in a trade channel at any given time

Price-gouging will continue to exist, as it's simply too easy. Pulling trades out of third-party channels should at least make it far more easy for people to see what's available. And that's a good thing.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And therein, deeply buried within a wall of text, lies the deception again, at "the market price appears to be: X." Because X is not a given number, but the price you put it on the market for yourselves! Circular deceit again: "We, the tycoons, put it up for 500 mil, the market now has it listed for 500 mil, therefore it's worth 500 mil. And now everything lower than that, we buy up again, and relist it for a 'market-price' we set ourselves." Riiight.
    Nooo, listing stuffz at X amount and hoping it'll sell, that's running the risk of getting undercut and the market dropping. The exchange is like day trading, and to truly benefit from it, needs live monitoring and undivided attention.

My method, is that I keep all my commodities in my inventory, and keep searching the ascending price of whatever commodity it is, so I'm always seeing the most current low price. Anything above that, ignore it. Study the commodity for a couple of days so you get the feel for its fluctuation. Next day, you can get yourself all set up, keep hitting that search for the latest price, and when it's right, that's when you buy or sell. Undercut the lowest price, and your item will sell, but don't undercut too much, afterall, you're trying to sell at the high-point, of that lowest cost. If you push too low, you're losing profit, and if you list too many items at once, others will just re-list theirs below your price. Relisting below them, again, it's a slippery slope. Depending on how low they want to list, I'll either let it go, or I'll just buy their stock. They get the price they want, I get more commodities to sell at the price I want ;) Once the price goes significantly toward the low point, either log off and do a daily, or, take the opportunity to pick up more stock :)

If you were to just think 'I'm going to sell this key at 5.3M', then log off and go do something else yes, you might eventually get a sale, but you also run the risk of people undercutting. Definitely easier to give it your full attention, so you know your list prices are reflecting the fluctuation of the market :)
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    And therein, deeply buried within a wall of text, lies the deception again, at "the market price appears to be: X." Because X is not a given number, but the price you put it on the market for yourselves! Circular deceit again: "We, the tycoons, put it up for 500 mil, the market now has it listed for 500 mil, therefore it's worth 500 mil. And now everything lower than that, we buy up again, and relist it for a 'market-price' we set ourselves." Riiight.
    Nooo, listing stuffz at X amount and hoping it'll sell, that's running the risk of getting undercut and the market dropping. The exchange is like day trading, and to truly benefit from it, needs live monitoring and undivided attention.

My method, is that I keep all my commodities in my inventory, and keep searching the ascending price of whatever commodity it is, so I'm always seeing the most current low price. Anything above that, ignore it. Study the commodity for a couple of days so you get the feel for its fluctuation. Next day, you can get yourself all set up, keep hitting that search for the latest price, and when it's right, that's when you buy or sell. Undercut the lowest price, and your item will sell, but don't undercut too much, afterall, you're trying to sell at the high-point, of that lowest cost. If you push too low, you're losing profit, and if you list too many items at once, others will just re-list theirs below your price. Relisting below them, again, it's a slippery slope. Depending on how low they want to list, I'll either let it go, or I'll just buy their stock. They get the price they want, I get more commodities to sell at the price I want ;) Once the price goes significantly toward the low point, either log off and do a daily, or, take the opportunity to pick up more stock :)

If you were to just think 'I'm going to sell this key at 5.3M', then log off and go do something else yes, you might eventually get a sale, but you also run the risk of people undercutting. Definitely easier to give it your full attention, so you know your list prices are reflecting the fluctuation of the market :)

And what makes you think the tycoons aren't giving it their full attention?! :) Part of price-gouging is the NEED, almost, to be ever vigilent, to swoop up 'undercut' listings, so as to relist; else, indeed, it all falls apart.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

And what makes you think the tycoons aren't giving it their full attention?! :) Part of price-gouging is the NEED, almost, to be ever vigilent, to swoop up 'undercut' listings, so as to relist; else, indeed, it all falls apart.
    Oh, I know They are, every time I make bulk sales to the same buyer, I think 'yup, that's a trader...' What I'm advising, is that someone who wants to hit up the exchange to make some ec, needs to realize that as soon as they get to the exchange, that is the PvP arena. That's Thunderdome. It's not a place to run in, list an item, then beam out again. At least, not if they're serious about treating it as a serious way to build their ec. If they're just looking to offload an unwanted item 'for whatever', then yes, list and leave :) If they want to make consistent profit, that means setting aside the time to trade :)

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth

Sorry for quoting myself, but don't want to deal with edit bug again.

Anyway, I was going to add, that the beauty of price-gouging is, that even when you're not 100% vigilent, as seller, and someone severely undercuts you, those items listed at undercut prices will dwindle like snow under the sun! So, 5 minutes later, you're back to only having your high prices listed. Neat how that works for them, eh? :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Oh, I know They are, every time I make bulk sales to the same buyer, I think 'yup, that's a trader...' What I'm advising, is that someone who wants to hit up the exchange to make some ec, needs to realize that as soon as they get to the exchange, that is the PvP arena. That's Thunderdome. It's not a place to run in, list an item, then beam out again. At least, not if they're serious about treating it as a serious way to build their ec. If they're just looking to offload an unwanted item 'for whatever', then yes, list and leave :) If they want to make consistent profit, that means setting aside the time to trade :)

I love your analogies! :) Yep, the game is staying vigilent. "If you snooze, you lose!"

Funnily enough (and I only heard this, but it has the ring of truth to it) there be certain items you can list for very high prices, forget about, and eventually someone will buy it at that price. Allegedly works well on crafted consoles and such.
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Sorry for quoting myself, but don't want to deal with edit bug again.

Anyway, I was going to add, that the beauty of price-gouging is, that even when you're not 100% vigilent, as seller, and someone severely undercuts you, those items listed at undercut prices will dwindle like snow under the sun! So, 5 minutes later, you're back to only having your high prices listed. Neat how that works for them, eh? :)
    Oh absolutely, it's definitely possible for someone to think 'hahahaha, I can list this squib for 500'000 less than that A-hole, and they won't get the sale, and I still get 2'500'000! hahahaha, I winz!' When that happens, I just laugh and let them get on with it, because I know I'm still going to get the 3'000'000 sale (and another 3'000'000 sale if I buy their squib :p )

I love your analogies! :) Yep, the game is staying vigilent. "If you snooze, you lose!"

Funnily enough (and I only heard this, but it has the ring of truth to it) there be certain items you can list for very high prices, forget about, and eventually someone will buy it at that price. Allegedly works well on crafted consoles and such.
    Thank you :) I think Some things, yes, they can command a higher price, but, my issue with consoles, equipment and weapons as a trading medium is that I would have to know that someone is going to Want to buy that item, rather than something else. Keys, fleet modules, regenerators etc, those're the commodities which people will always want, so they'ds the easy money :) Ship-flipping comes under the same issue: Some ships will always be in demand, and ironically, I've always seen the Mirror Escorts as a consistently lucrative market. They're good little ships, and I can see why someone would buy one when they hit the right rank, rather than what Quinn and Laurel are offering.* I'm tempted to load a stack of hypos for 20'000'000 next time I log in, just to see if some Space Rich tycoon buys it for the lols

*I bought the Hestia class a fair while back for my main, and as I was levelling my tactical AoY alt, I bought them a Mirror Escort (I actually prefer that seating to the Hestia) and in the ship tailor, just loaded the skin from the main's. As the alt levelled, I then reclaimed the Hestia from the C Store, and again did the tailor load. Definitely fun to be flying round in the low-powered 'fake' :D

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    I'm tempted to load a stack of hypos for 20'000'000 next time I log in, just to see if some Space Rich tycoon buys it for the lols

tycoons become tycoons by being smart, not stupid​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I'm tempted to load a stack of hypos for 20'000'000 next time I log in, just to see if some Space Rich tycoon buys it for the lols

I know, but there's also such a thing as crazy eccentrics who do stuff for the lols, and anyone with a billion ec and nothing much to do with their time, who knows... If the sale expires, oh well, no loss, but if it sells, hey, I get a nice chunk out of it :D

• freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Misclicks happen. And since there is zero cost to post the item, there is really zero risk to doing such thing. They really should have a posting fee.

What would the fee pay for?
    • It would be an EC sink and thus keep inflation in check (at least somewhat)
    • It would reduce the amount auctions as a whole, because if you had to pay (say 10% of the listed price as a fee), you'd think twice if it's really worth it, putting something up for auction, since it might not be bought.
    • It would reduce the amount of scam auctions (you know, putting similar named items in the same price range and hope that somebody mis-clicks) and joke auctions.

Personally i would like to see every item you bought from the exchange become bind to account, as soon as you bought it. Same with trading. You'd only be able to buy things you'd really need and we would finally be able to see what kind of
    demand there really is for certain items.
    People would still open lockboxes to get the rewards and should still be able to sell those if they don't like them, so that aspect would go unchanged.
  • freenos85freenos85 Member Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    freenos85 wrote: »
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Misclicks happen. And since there is zero cost to post the item, there is really zero risk to doing such thing. They really should have a posting fee.

What would the fee pay for?
    • It would be an EC sink and thus keep inflation in check (at least somewhat)
    • It would reduce the amount auctions as a whole, because if you had to pay (say 10% of the listed price as a fee), you'd think twice if it's really worth it, putting something up for auction, since it might not be bought.
    • It would reduce the amount of scam auctions (you know, putting similar named items in the same price range and hope that somebody mis-clicks) and joke auctions.

Personally i would like to see every item you bought from the exchange become bind to account, as soon as you bought it. Same with trading. You'd only be able to buy things you'd really need and we would finally be able to see what kind of
    demand there really is for certain items.
    People would still open lockboxes to get the rewards and should still be able to sell those if they don't like them, so that aspect would go unchanged.

So it wouldn't pay for anything, it would just be deleting people's hard earned ec?

If you want EC sinks make good ones, not lazy or immoral ones.

Immoral ones?! :D
    It's a usage fee. Plain and simple. You get to use the exchange, that's what you are paying for.

You could also introduce a on-sale fee which would indirectly be payed by the buyer. Meaning you'll only get 90% (for example) of your listed price, while the buyer has to pay the full price. Simply sell your items for a bit more and you'll make the same amount of ec as you currently do. This however has only the benefit of stalling inflation and nothing more ...
    On the upside, it would not prohibit someone with insufficient funds to post an expensive item for sale on the exchange.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Please stop posting these giant graphics.
    Telling a mod what to do in regards to their job here? That's... not smart.
    Telling amateur hour his experiment is getting out of hand? Necessary feedback.

Having regular, attentive moderation has been a breath of fresh air on these boards. I even liked the early banner-sized ones - they showed some wit and grace getting the job done in limited space. These new ones... BLOATED AND OBNOXIOUS.
    nikeix wrote: »
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Please stop posting these giant graphics.
    Telling a mod what to do in regards to their job here? That's... not smart.
    Telling amateur hour his experiment is getting out of hand? Necessary feedback.

Having regular, attentive moderation has been a breath of fresh air on these boards. I even liked the early banner-sized ones - they showed some wit and grace getting the job done in limited space. These new ones... BLOATED AND OBNOXIOUS.
    I like them, and think the size is appropriate to the message conveyed, be it 'you've overstepped the mark' or just a mild 'keep things civil', the size, serves as a reminder of moderator presence. A moderator who doesn't just lurk to swoop in on miscreants, or who might throw their weight around or play favorites, but one who actively participates and engages the community (which they were once 'just another member of') One who gives a reasonable amount of leeway, but who cracks the whip when needbe. This is how a good moderator should interact. Baddmoonrizin's presence shouldn't elicit that 'scarper, it's the fuzz!' response, they should be able to participate just like any other, and I think the banners allow that: Everyone gets the same treatment, everyone gets the same warning, it's totally fair, and as mentioned, the size, thus creating viaibility, acts as a reminder that there Is a functional mod, even if their presence isn't obvious :)

I wasn't going to get involved in this, because it's distracting from the thread topic, so I'll say this much and be done. I thank everyone for their feedback, positive and negative, regarding my moderator postings. It's true my original banner-sized postings were purposefully made that size, so that they wouldn't overwhelm yet still stand out. The current larger size of the images, though, is directly related to feedback I received from earlier postings. The original ones were difficult for some to read, especially if one happened to be reading the forums from their cellphone. The size was, therefore, increased to accommodate that. I apologize if that seems to be an inconvenience to others. All civil private correpondence is welcome, and if one would like to start a thread to discuss it openly with the community, that is fine, too. For now, though, let's allow the thread to stay on topic. Thank you. - BaddMoonRizin

nothing wrong with the size, it gets the message intended meant known.

Plus they look cool. B)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    You have to understand that there are two sides to every price, the supply curve, which is a graph showing how many united of a given thing the people in the market are willing to sell for a given price, and the demand curve, which is a similar graph showing how many units of a thing the people in the market are willing to buy at a given price.

Are you really explaining 'Supply & Demand' again here?! What would we be without your great wisdom, O mighty Educator!
    The other is to look at costs, supply, demand, evidence from the market, etc, and say "the market price appears to be: X, and that's what the item is worth, according to the behavior of all the different people making decisions about buying and selling the item."

See, price-gouging in the STO is very easy. It's like a grocery store which sells all its milk for $100 a bottle/carton. Nobody is their right mind would ever buy their milk there, as they'd just go elsewhere... Ay, there's the rub: there is no elsewhere in STO! To protract the analogy, you and your ilk have scooped up all bottles for cheap, and relisted them all at $100.** Aka, you have done something that would be virtually impossible in RL. In real life, not being able to sell any at $100, you would have hasted to adjust your pricing, or be out of business the next week, if not sooner. But in STO you can, and you do. That's why all your generic 'education' about 'Supply & Demand' is fail (or, at least, only partially applicable to STO).
    One approach might seem solipsistic, ignorant, or narcissistic, but I think it has less to do with defects of personality than from lack of knowledge. Because of this, I think that if you educate people, then anyone willing to accept education instead of reject it can learn and become better. And making society better, even space society, is a public service.

*Now* who's setting himself up as "the supreme authority"?! It's really a bit unbecoming, honestly. You're just rich. So is Trump. Get over yourself.

** You didn't list the milk at $1,000 a bottle, as then you'd have overplayed your hand. But you carefully set the price so high, that ppl can still afford it (albeit barely), and grudgingly have to buy it at the exorbitant prices, or have nothing at all. Well played!

That's the policy of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.
    Same thing with a comic/hobby shop in the small, rural town I live in. The only shop here, and some of the stuff is at least twice as much, or sometimes triple, yet he's the only shop nearby, and my town is literally in the middle of nowhere. The old robber even puts high prices on BROKEN collectibles like a Generation 1 Transformer that's missing an arm, a foot, no gun and looks like it went through a trip in a wood chipper.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

I thought it was from exploitation, deception and being a jerk. That's how the Rockefeller and Rothschild clans got so rich and powerful...lying, cheating, stealing and not giving a damn about morals or ethics.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    That reminds me, from time to time you can sell a BOFF training manual like A2Sif II which you can buyvat a NPC vendor for 2k for 200k on the exchange. It's not much but quite the profit margin. Of course that niche dies when the market gets over saturated (might happen now? XD)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    I say, port the game to 64 bit and raise the EC cap to 9 quintillion. :P
    You have to understand that there are two sides to every price, the supply curve, which is a graph showing how many united of a given thing the people in the market are willing to sell for a given price, and the demand curve, which is a similar graph showing how many units of a thing the people in the market are willing to buy at a given price.

Are you really explaining 'Supply & Demand' again here?! What would we be without your great wisdom, O mighty Educator!
    The other is to look at costs, supply, demand, evidence from the market, etc, and say "the market price appears to be: X, and that's what the item is worth, according to the behavior of all the different people making decisions about buying and selling the item."

See, price-gouging in the STO is very easy. It's like a grocery store which sells all its milk for $100 a bottle/carton. Nobody is their right mind would ever buy their milk there, as they'd just go elsewhere... Ay, there's the rub: there is no elsewhere in STO! To protract the analogy, you and your ilk have scooped up all bottles for cheap, and relisted them all at $100.** Aka, you have done something that would be virtually impossible in RL. In real life, not being able to sell any at $100, you would have hasted to adjust your pricing, or be out of business the next week, if not sooner. But in STO you can, and you do. That's why all your generic 'education' about 'Supply & Demand' is fail (or, at least, only partially applicable to STO).
    One approach might seem solipsistic, ignorant, or narcissistic, but I think it has less to do with defects of personality than from lack of knowledge. Because of this, I think that if you educate people, then anyone willing to accept education instead of reject it can learn and become better. And making society better, even space society, is a public service.

*Now* who's setting himself up as "the supreme authority"?! It's really a bit unbecoming, honestly. You're just rich. So is Trump. Get over yourself.

** You didn't list the milk at $1,000 a bottle, as then you'd have overplayed your hand. But you carefully set the price so high, that ppl can still afford it (albeit barely), and grudgingly have to buy it at the exorbitant prices, or have nothing at all. Well played!

That's the policy of Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.
    Same thing with a comic/hobby shop in the small, rural town I live in. The only shop here, and some of the stuff is at least twice as much, or sometimes triple, yet he's the only shop nearby, and my town is literally in the middle of nowhere. The old robber even puts high prices on BROKEN collectibles like a Generation 1 Transformer that's missing an arm, a foot, no gun and looks like it went through a trip in a wood chipper.

Finally someone who gets it! :) Thank you! Of course, the Tycoons got it too, but keeps pretending they have no idea what's happening. *g*
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    All civil private correpondence is welcome, and if one would like to start a thread to discuss it openly with the community, that is fine, too. For now, though, let's allow the thread to stay on topic. Thank you. - BaddMoonRizin

I may take you up on that. The concept is excellent. Execution... is a work in progess. I see the reason some viewing formats may require a different size, but the new ones mostly see bigger for bigness sake while the font size isn't actually that much larger. It raises questions of does the newest batch really improve readability proportionate to the amount of visual clutter the larger size imposes?