Install Arc

The Summer Event!

Comments

• unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    9e1eefff091234d09645a629a50894821495836173.jpg
    Pikachu and Tigger too!

YAY!

Nice Risian Cats!
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Make with the carrier stats already.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    swamarian wrote: »
    You had to complete a number of sub-events to get a specific level of doff. I think that you needed MR for the purple ones.

Ah okay, didn't know that, thanks. For the normal I think it isn't. And I probably never noticed this since I usually start buying other stuff than gliders and clothing only at the end of the festival when I know how many lolnuts I got, by which time my new toons are already so masterful at relaxing. Really, they're huge at it.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The more events the better IMO.

We still need an Autumn/Fall event.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    which SHOULD be something halloween-related as befitting its status as a major holiday instead of that lame vulcan clone mission we keep getting - and which isn't even unique to halloween​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    The Risa event is my favorite event by far of all the events on STO. I look forward to it every year. Those new outfits look great and the new caracals are adorable!

The daily task for the ship takes me less than five minutes. No more than between two-three mins.

Then it's on to fun things like farming Favors for me n my pal.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just thought about something - are sandcastles back? I remember they removed the sandcastle event last time and I really missed that. Please put it back pig-9.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jenicazarinajenicazarina Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I just thought about something - are sandcastles back? I remember they removed the sandcastle event last time and I really missed that. Please put it back pig-9.gif​​

The Sandcastles were still there, they were just taken out of the announcement rotation.
    Resistance is never futile!

800S3a8.jpg
    The Sandcastles were still there, they were just taken out of the announcement rotation.

Exactly, which caused the spots to be very, very deserted. I liked the rotation of doing the hunt, a race, then go to the beach and build castles. It was a routine I liked, it wasn't the same without.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Fix the drooping wings problem on the Risan Luxury Cruiser, please.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User

^^^ THIS!

It's been broken for a long time, and it seems like every time the devs come out with a new patch, they break even more and -leave it broken-. Maybe they should just concentrate on fixing what they have instead of trying to push out content that will break what's in the game even more.

I mean, this Summer Event will be the first one without a nighttime on Risa. That's something that was even integral to some content within the Summer Event, and it is now impossible to have it because the devs were too short-sighted to realize their new lighting system couldn't handle day and night like the older 'inferior' system could. I still can't get used to the fireworks in daytime, let alone that there are no more nighttime campfire parties to look forwards to.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but it seems the devs are chasing 'being cool to the new generation of gamers on consoles' at the expense of 'keeping what is great about STO'. The loss of nighttime on Risa is simply inexcusable, and will largely diminish my enjoyment of this year's event.

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    danqueller wrote: »

^^^ THIS!

It's been broken for a long time, and it seems like every time the devs come out with a new patch, they break even more and -leave it broken-. Maybe they should just concentrate on fixing what they have instead of trying to push out content that will break what's in the game even more.

I mean, this Summer Event will be the first one without a nighttime on Risa. That's something that was even integral to some content within the Summer Event, and it is now impossible to have it because the devs were too short-sighted to realize their new lighting system couldn't handle day and night like the older 'inferior' system could. I still can't get used to the fireworks in daytime, let alone that there are no more nighttime campfire parties to look forwards to.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but it seems the devs are chasing 'being cool to the new generation of gamers on consoles' at the expense of 'keeping what is great about STO'. The loss of nighttime on Risa is simply inexcusable, and will largely diminish my enjoyment of this year's event.

Problem with programming is that sometimes when one alters a section of it, something else will be effected as well, even if it's a correction, sometimes something totally different gets effected.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    xyquarze wrote: »
    swamarian wrote: »
    You had to complete a number of sub-events to get a specific level of doff. I think that you needed MR for the purple ones.

Ah okay, didn't know that, thanks. For the normal I think it isn't. And I probably never noticed this since I usually start buying other stuff than gliders and clothing only at the end of the festival when I know how many lolnuts I got, by which time my new toons are already so masterful at relaxing. Really, they're huge at it.

Unless the Devs changed things, you can get a lot of it before the Event begins.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • danquellerdanqueller Member Posts: 501 Arc User

Problem with programming is that sometimes when one alters a section of it, something else will be effected as well, even if it's a correction, sometimes something totally different gets effected.

Yes, this is true, and I think everyone understands how that can happen. However, when such malfunctions do get past testing, it is also reasonable to assume the priority becomes to repair the code error. In STO, however, it seems that quite a few of these malfunctions (the Risian Luxury Cruiser solar sails being only one of the more obvious ones) are left unrepaired due to the emphasis on jumping on the next project rather than looking at the damage done by the last project. Perhaps it is due to the devs believing that no one will really care about such things (and thus repair of such things can be put off indefinitely), or that the belief that an aggressive release schedule is more important than taking time to patch the holes that accumulate as more errors are introduced by successive code alterations.

That said, the elimination of the day/night cycle due to an inability to actually build a graphics engine capable of it will still leave me with the conviction that this Summer Event will not have the level of enjoyment or sense of actually -being- in the world of Star Trek that previous versions of the event offered.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I could be more excited about another carrier if pets actually got fixed like they said they were going to be. Plus, not a fan of the Vorgon look. There never was a Vorgon ship in the TV shows (as far as I remember) so it just doesn't have any emotional/nostalgic resonance, if you know what I mean. The Risian ones had the 'party' look to them so that was ok and the Nandi was Ferengi style so that worked for me too. Vorgons... meh. Better to find a race that actually had a ship in the show to base the summer event ship off of, imo.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    angrytarg wrote: »

Exactly, which caused the spots to be very, very deserted. I liked the rotation of doing the hunt, a race, then go to the beach and build castles. It was a routine I liked, it wasn't the same without.​​

Actually...I believe that sandcastle building can now be done ANY TIME.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Actually...I believe that sandcastle building can now be done ANY TIME.

Yes, but with low favor payout which means nobody does it and it wasn't the same building a sandcastle on a deserted island all by myself. I like to get out of sight once in a while, but I liked the full beach, watching people build their castles and kicking them over pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Ugh, I had forgotten about the artifact hunt, I only ever found one but after that I just couldn't find any anymore, I hope it's not present this year for a change.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Ugh, I had forgotten about the artifact hunt, I only ever found one but after that I just couldn't find any anymore, I hope it's not present this year for a change.

Indeed, I almost forgot that THIS was the replacement for the sandcastles...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • apedilbertapedilbert Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    I'd been saying for months that I'd come back if the event ship this year was a T6 Corvette. Guess I'm still gone until next year.
  • chucktcchucktc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Maybe they should have days on even instances and nights on odd ones.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    chucktc wrote: »

I believe something similar was suggested....and shot down by the Devs already...somewhere.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    toiva wrote: »
    Good point about the day-night cycle. This is THE place to complain: Booooooo! Cryptic, you gotta work on that. It was one half of the Risa fun, and we're losing the second half every year as it is (untainted wilderness on the map - every new event, a couple buildings, camps are raised and pure beautiful hideouts disappear).
    Boooo!

Guys, the devs have stated on a number of occasions that the return of the day night cycle is not possible to (practically) replicate with the game in its current state. The reason: lighting 2.0.

We can of course hope that one day a wonderful and truly ingenious technical work around will be found, totally unforeseen by the devs now, that blows open the door on the wildest lighting possibilities we can imagine (at the moment: the return of ambient lighting changes). But that's a big hope and not one likely to come (especially soon.)

So, definitely take a step back and consider what "mob action" is really going to achieve. It won't change facts, it's just winding up for a go at a dead horse (I think we can put our energy into more constructive ventures. :))

I know what was stated. I only want them to understand I loved the day-night cycle (hopefully so did others) and thus want them to keep looking into it and trying to find a way to make it possible again. I simply don't want them to write it off as a non-issue. And the only way I know I can do that is by mentioning it on the forums.

Yeah, that'd be great. One can hope for next year and a potential T6 Risian ship (along with a Risian interior, at last?).
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User

^^^ THIS!

99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs...

Take one down and patch it around

257,632 bugs in the code.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    In STO, however, it seems that quite a few of these malfunctions (the Risian Luxury Cruiser solar sails being only one of the more obvious ones) are left unrepaired due to the emphasis on jumping on the next project rather than looking at the damage done by the last project.
    And, apparently, a non-realization that the likes of 'haste makes waste' are sayings for a reason.
    Perhaps it is due to the devs believing that no one will really care about such things (and thus repair of such things can be put off indefinitely), or that the belief that an aggressive release schedule is more important than taking time to patch the holes that accumulate as more errors are introduced by successive code alterations.
    Thing is, as they should well know, that allowing such errors and holes to accumulate will inevitably lead to a mess whose solution would turn out to be more difficult and expensive than it would have been to address issues as they arise (and actually put some effort into attempting to prevent new ones).
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    chucktc wrote: »

I believe something similar was suggested....and shot down by the Devs already...somewhere.

I have followed those topics and haven't heard about that being shot down. Sure, they'd have to remake all Risa textures as night textures but it would at least be something to the Lighting 2.0 downgrade that obliterated Risa, Bajor, and all other hope for some dynamic anything in this game.

Summer event used to be my favorite. Now I'll refuse to get the ship or participate in the activities on perpetual high-noon land.

Metrics to hell with you for whoever made the decision to introduce Lighting 2.0. They should have kept it console only.

I'll be on Auraxis this summer enjoying their dynamic scenery and proper daylight cycles, and just about every other game that's got dynamic environments that STO used to be able to do, but thanks to whoever's genius decision no longer can.

Star Trek Online: Risa R.I.P. -- June 27 2013 - 25 Oct 2016
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    So you'll refuse to participate simply because there's no day-night cycle? What an adult reaction. Throw out an ultimatum-fix the day-night cycle or I'm boycotting it.

I'm not letting that slightly insignificant detail to stop me from enjoying the party that is the Summer Event.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I'm looking forward to the new Vorgon carrier. I just hope it's more of a tactical carrier like the T6 Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier and not yet another generic jack-of-all-trades (master of none) carrier.

I also hope there's a REALLY good ship trait for carrier pets and a good two-piece console bonus with the console from the Vorgon escort.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Gotta wonder if there will be a regular mission we can do that awards a lefty portion of the required tokens to get the ship, kinda like we have in the Winter Event.

It's my first Summer Event, so please forgive my ignorance in this matter.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited June 2017
    Gotta wonder if there will be a regular mission we can do that awards a lefty portion of the required tokens to get the ship, kinda like we have in the Winter Event.

It's my first Summer Event, so please forgive my ignorance in this matter.

Normally only anniversary event does a mission to award the first 400 because its a shorter event. For summer event you buy a jetpack and fly round 3 short courses on the island. When you get used to flying with mouselook its a doddle to do and super quick.

Edit: read above as "save up your lohlunat favours and buy a speedy jetpack as a matter of urgency"

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles