test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which show are you looking forward to more? Discovery or the Orville

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited May 2017 in Ten Forward
Ok after watching the following video, I am having huge concerns over the new Star Trek show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I3y3_QmBsQ

Sounds like CBS is just repeating a ton of the mistakes of the past, and really not caring what the fans have to say. I took my eye of this project for a few months, then when I checked to see what was going on. I get what's in that video, and I am not happy. Now I am looking to shows like The Orville, that at least shows some respect to Star Trek, even with it's spoof setting that it has. I just don't know guys, is CBS really trying to DOOM Star Trek? Do they just don't get it over there? sure it's a wait and see, but I am not liking what I am seeing so far.

Which show are you looking forward to more? Discovery or the Orville 38 votes

Star Trek Discovery
34%
solarigonduncanidaho11sf911kurumimorishitamustrumridcully0artan42mhall85eldarion79valoreahmarkhawkmantheraven2378starswordcrobofearth 13 votes
The Orville
52%
nightkencoldnapalmgaraks31alexraptorrallyoftheforcewhere2r1megawolf0jcsteeletunebreakerpatrickngoranvagetheanothernamehawkwing43galattlordgyordalolornjorantomalaktrekpuppydavid#5676silverlobes#2676 20 votes
Other
13%
cptjhunterdaveynyiamynaughtcrashdragonwildthyme467989 5 votes

Comments

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Star Trek Discovery
    Considering that I only heard of The Orville a week ago and that it's being shown on bloody Fox, a.k.a. F**ks, as in the things they don't give about science fiction, you tell me. (No, I will never forgive them for what they did to Firefly.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
    The Orville
    You had to bring up the firefly mess. Hey maybe they fired the fools the cancelled that show, lol
    Star Trek Discovery
    > @hawkwing43 said:
    > You had to bring up the firefly mess. Hey maybe they fired the fools the cancelled that show, lol

And Dark Angel. And Sarah Connor Chronicles. And Almost Human. And that's just the ones I can think of without Google. In contrast CBS gave their most recent sci-fi outing (Person of Interest) five seasons and didn't TRIBBLE with the episode order ever.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I'm not expecting much of Discovery, but that's only because there isn't much to say about it at this point. The trailer was a rather generic piece of sci-fi which may or may not have toyed with the expectation of seeing the show in a classic era. The Orville has put everything about the show out there and you know what you get - and it is a very sympathetic piece that looks like a lot of fun. Since I am generally more sympathetic to light hearted shows and know how fast shows that treat themselves too seriously can go down the drain I am looking forward to the Orville more, at this point. But that has nothind to do with casting doom on Star Trek or some other nonsense like this. I just... don't trust CBS with much these days pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    The Orville
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @hawkwing43 said:
    > You had to bring up the firefly mess. Hey maybe they fired the fools the cancelled that show, lol

And Dark Angel. And Sarah Connor Chronicles. And Almost Human. And that's just the ones I can think of without Google. In contrast CBS gave their most recent sci-fi outing (Person of Interest) five seasons and didn't **** with the episode order ever.

You make a good point, it's why I said I hope they fired the guys who cancelled the other shows.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    The Orville
    I dont like what i see from TRIBBLE it just doesnt look like a interesting watch and i sure wont pay cbs to watch it.

The orville looks like its gonna be a fun show to watch really looking forward to this one :)
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Star Trek Discovery
    Because I'm a Star Trek fan willing to give it a try.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    > @hawkwing43 said:

And Dark Angel. And Sarah Connor Chronicles. And Almost Human. And that's just the ones I can think of without Google. In contrast CBS gave their most recent sci-fi outing (Person of Interest) five seasons and didn't **** with the episode order ever.
    You make a good point, it's why I said I hope they fired the guys who cancelled the other shows.
    In fairness, part of that was due to that stupid writer's strike. I blame unions for the cancelation of T:SCC.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    The Orville
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    > @hawkwing43 said:

In fairness, part of that was due to that stupid writer's strike. I blame unions for the cancelation of T:SCC.
    Yeah, that really was criminal, T:SCC was an excellent addition to the Terminator franchise.
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Other
    Both, though Seth McFarlane's' show does look like it's gonna be another Big Bang type hit.

I also believe that unless The Orville is a real stinker, it's gonna be tough for FOX to cancel it after only one season.
    McFarlane is one of the biggest makers of money for that company, they'll probably give him at least two seasons to give it a go.

B)

STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Star Trek Discovery
    I watched the same video, and while it's one of the few decent breakdowns of the CBS/Paramount split I've ever seen... it's TRIBBLE.
    • We don't know why Bryan Fuller left the series, but no one seems to be talking about the fact that he was already signed on to produce TWO other shows, even being the showrunner of one of them (American Gods). I've never heard of a Hollywood producer being called the "showrunner" of two shows in simultaneous production. (And no, Rick Berman was never that for Trek back in the day... he's never held the title of "showrunner," unless he did for the tail end of TNG.) Further, Discovery was delayed once on Fuller's watch, and it was rumored he wanted a second delay before leaving the production. (Funny enough, the second delay was ultimately granted.) I can certainly buy CBS putting pressure on the production team to make the show "good." But, I don't buy this garbage about Canon Champion Fuller getting canned by Evil Trek Hater Moonves. In Fuller's case, the easiest example seems likely: an already overloaded producer had to leave the production because he couldn't meet the rigors the studio demanded.
    • Fans need to get this through their heads: J.J. Abrams, and Bad Robot, have NEVER been involved in the production of Discovery. Alex Kurtzman is NOT an employee of Bad Robot, as HE HAS HIS OWN PRODUCTION COMPANY. Kurtzman wasn't involved with Star Trek Beyond, and his break with Abrams happened around the time of 2013. Kurtzman was also never announced as the showrunner, so to assume he's "backed out" because... we haven't heard from him (?)... Kurtzman has his hands in a number of shows, some of which are on CBS. In other words, just because he wrote the first two Kelvin films does NOT mean he was in charge of the creative vision of Discovery. (In fact, I'd argue that's a proven fact, since CBS made a big deal that Fuller was the creative hire in the deal, not Kurtzman.) Oh, and IMDb is NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE FOR PRODUCTION INFORMATION, and is often proven premature, if not outright WRONG.
    • Need I remind "concerned fans" that the rumors of Discovery called the show an anthology, and said the first season would be placed between The Undiscovered Country and TNG? And those proved to be WRONG.

So, yeah... while this video is a concise breakdown of current rumors and hype... I wouldn't put much stock in it beyond that, not until the premiere.
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    The Orville
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    The Orville looks like trek at least. How sad is it that the none trek shows looks more trek than the actual trek show?!?
    I agree, it's a shame too, I was hoping they would pickup the new Trek show after Voyager got home, but yet again we have to revisit the past, and play this fill in the blanks, while tossing out cannon. Just you wait and see, I can feel it going to happen.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery
    The Orville looks like trek at least. How sad is it that the none trek shows looks more trek than the actual trek show?!?
    Really? where? It looks about as much like Star Trek as SeaQuest did.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    The Orville
    Really? where? It looks about as much like Star Trek as SeaQuest did.....
    How's the weather over in the fine state of Denial? :D:D

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
    Star Trek Discovery
    > @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > The Orville looks like trek at least. How sad is it that the none trek shows looks more trek than the actual trek show?!?
    >
    >
    >
    > Really? where? It looks about as much like Star Trek as SeaQuest did.....
    >
    >
    >
    > How's the weather over in the fine state of Denial? :D :D

In my experience if you ask any ten Trekkies what Star Trek needs to look like, you'll get twelve and a half answers.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

The Orville
    > @silverlobes#2676 said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > coldnapalm wrote: »
    >
    > The Orville looks like trek at least. How sad is it that the none trek shows looks more trek than the actual trek show?!?
    >
    >
    >
    > Really? where? It looks about as much like Star Trek as SeaQuest did.....
    >
    >
    >
    > How's the weather over in the fine state of Denial? :D:D

In my experience if you ask any ten Trekkies what Star Trek needs to look like, you'll get twelve and a half answers.
    True dat.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Star Trek Discovery
    I am looking forward more to DSC. It's Star Trek.

I reserve some skepticism on both. DSC could suck because they tell a bad story or have plain bad acting or characters. But it might be wonderful.

Regarding Orville, I am not sure I can really enjoy a humoristic sci fi show for long. It's not that I dislike light-hearted stuff, but I think I prefer mixtures like Doctor Who or Scrubs - shows that venture between silly fun to heart-breaking drama. The Orville trailer only showed the light-hearted aspects so far, and that might just not be as filling.

I hope they are all good. Discovery, Orville, Doctor Who, Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Expanse... That would be a lot of interesting Sci-Fi going on..
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    Regarding Orville, I am not sure I can really enjoy a humoristic sci fi show for long. It's not that I dislike light-hearted stuff, but I think I prefer mixtures like Doctor Who or Scrubs - shows that venture between silly fun to heart-breaking drama. The Orville trailer only showed the light-hearted aspects so far, and that might just not be as filling.

I hope they are all good. Discovery, Orville, Doctor Who, Dark Matter, Killjoys, The Expanse... That would be a lot of interesting Sci-Fi going on..

Yea... when you have a decent mix of serious and humor, you tend to get a good show. Look at Stargate SG-1. 10 years, and we had a good spread of snark and serious. And Babylon 5 also had 5 years with both seriousness and silly.

Humor as a tension breaker works.
    And Dark Angel. And Sarah Connor Chronicles. And Almost Human. And that's just the ones I can think of without Google.

Yea... Fox does seem to have a particular dislike of anything that isn't competition "Reality" shows. ESPECIALLY if its Sci-Fi.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'm going to need some time to ponder this. The magnitude of this decision is just too much.
  • david#5676 david Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    The Orville
    The Orville, since I don't have to pay to watch it like with Star Trek Discovery.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    The Orville
    Probably not going to watch either in the near future, but I'm actually more interested in Orville than Discovery.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Star Trek Discovery
    As I'm into my serious sci-fi, I'll give discovery a chance
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
      Star Trek Discovery
      As a Trek fan, Discovery, but I am looking forward to Orville. That is a poor video that is poorly researched.
    • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      My belief is that Orville is Seth McFarlane's attempt at an unofficial TOS Reboot. Orville seems to fit more as a spiritual successor to TOS compared to any of the other Star Trek series. The other series seem far more serious than TOS. Discovery seems to be more of the same that we have seen in the other Star Trek series.