test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Logic Dictates: It is best that R&D Ships are RnG! #spock

With the great new smuggler promo in full swing, I think its important that people take a moment to think about *why* things like this have to come from RNG packs. It isn't venality on the part of the developers, there is a logical reason for why it is best for players and the community that it works this way.

To not run afoul of the no-necro rule, I post a new thread rather than bump an old one. It is what it is!

There are three good outcomes to look for with prize ships in STO.

1) The prize ships are rare and desirable.
-If nothing is rare and desirable, the game is tepid and boring.

2) Everyone has a chance to get one. -If not everyone has a chance to get one, it is unfair, and pay2win.

3) The company earns revenue and profit. -This is absolutely necessary for the game to continue being run. Business has to earn profit.

-

If we make them available to anyone who wants one at a fixed price in the c-store, but that price is low, then they are no longer rare and desirable, and we sacrifice outcome 1.

-

The only way to make the promo ships very rare and desirable, if they are offered to anyone who wants one at a fixed price in the c-store, is to make that price very high.

The market prices them at about 15k zen, which takes into account the consolation prizes in the promo boxes as well as the odds of winning a ship. In terms of zen expenditure to get one, its closer to 25k zen.

However, if they were offered at that high price, almost no one would have a chance to get them, and also, the owners would not get much revenue.

-

Since having the ships rare and desirable is a good outcome, and the game earning profit is a good outcome as well, and everyone having a chance to get the prize ship is a good outcome as well, we should not give up any one outcome in order to secure two of the others, when instead we can get all three outcomes at the same time.

1) It is good that the ship is rare and desirable
2) It is good that everyone has a chance to get one
3) It is good if the company earns revenue and profit.

The good in these outcomes is cumulative. Having two outcomes is better than having one, and having all three is better than having either two or one.

We can only have all three of these good outcomes if the ships are awarded from RNG boxes.

Since all three outcomes is better than just two, or just one, we should unequivocally support the ships being released in RNG boxes, since it leads to the best possible outcome for the game.
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Comments

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    This thread again with no new arguments?

Someone seems to be trapped in a temporal bubble.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Since we are in a Temporal Loop:

Rule of Aquisition 239
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I've no problem with them being rare; my complaint is how low the drop rate is, especially on R&D promos where the 'runner-up' prize is only worth what you can sell it on for*. When it comes to desirability, it's horses for courses of course, but I certainly don't think about getting a new ship just because it's rare. It has to be good in some way.

*Hands up if you buy regular R&D boxes with zen. Anyone?
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Yeah. Where's that Silver Bullet when you need it!? :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    There is of course a third option.

Decide you don't need the super expensive promo ship, keep your wallet closed and move on. ;)
    This isn't even a ship that has to do with any NPC Faction we have fought against or been in any contact with through the normal run of the game. Not a hero ship either. Just a one-off that even Memory Alpha just mentions it as an 'unnamed combat vessel'. The clamor has to be from an OP set up, Console, Trait or whatever.

Don't see this going for T6 Constitution type prices. The logical thing is for this to just fizzle out.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »

Decide you don't need the super expensive promo ship, keep your wallet closed and move on. ;)

I choose this option.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User

I support this course of action.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    And tried to sell it for twice the purchase price.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • spacehermitspacehermit Member Posts: 355 Arc User

People haven't needed 'new argument' for the pythagorean theorem in an awfully long time.

Year after year it remains, true and unchanged.

Pythagoras doesn't keep reminding everyone, however.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Honestly I have no idea why anyone would want this ugly ship anyway so you can have your RNG this time, I'm just waiting for the next infinity promo box so I can try my luck again on getting the universe class ... though then again I might just buy the T6 Miranda and use that for the toon I was going to give the universe to ...

Now that i think about it I'm hitting a point where all my characters have ships I'm happy with aesthetically, going forward it'll be hard to get me excited about a new ship unless it's a redo of one I already have but with a better specialization. Wanted a T6 Miranda for years, but now I can't decide if I'm going to buy it or not cause I only have 1 fed toon that I haven't settled on a permanent ship for.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Honestly I have no idea why anyone would want this ugly ship anyway so you can have your RNG this time, I'm just waiting for the next infinity promo box so I can try my luck again on getting the universe class ... though then again I might just buy the T6 Miranda and use that for the toon I was going to give the universe to ...

Now that i think about it I'm hitting a point where all my characters have ships I'm happy with aesthetically, going forward it'll be hard to get me excited about a new ship unless it's a redo of one I already have but with a better specialization. Wanted a T6 Miranda for years, but now I can't decide if I'm going to buy it or not cause I only have 1 fed toon that I haven't settled on a permanent ship for.

This is how I feel. I don't need every new 'shiny' that comes along. Most all my toons are happy with what they have for the most part. Before I buy new ships they would have to be pretty spectacular to pry them out of the ones they fly.

My friend feels exactly the same way.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Different people want different things

This is true too. It's what makes the community interesting.

What I want is probably very different from what you want or someone else wants
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »

I support this course of action.

I do too and have been since gamble boxes came into the game.

Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I'm not sure it is an especially desireable ship in terms of the trek lore. I doubt a cstore specced one sold for zen would be getting much attention.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    I think there's a reason the Ferengi were made to look like greedy evil little trolls.
  • kikskenkiksken Member Posts: 664 Arc User
    2) Everyone has a chance to get one. -If not everyone has a chance to get one, it is unfair, and pay2win.
    So, you say this is NOT pay2win, and thus fair?
    And how about those that simply cannot afford to buy keys for instance?
    Anyway you turn this, it IS pay2win or a gambling system.
    The less fortunate never will be able to get such ship.
    Klingons don't get drunk.
    They just get less sober.