test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MMORPG.com: "Devs Teasing Out NPCs from ST: TNG"

Comments

• irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    Just one question though. WTF have they been feeding Worf ? Klingon fertiliser ?
  • mailman650mailman650 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    That hair Beverly has is spot on.
  • cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Humm.. excluding Tasha and The Doctor, none of them seems imposible to make on the tailor. Picard, Data and Riker are not even close.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    What hair style does Troi and Crusher have? I want them too! :D

Nice work guys.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User

Yeah a lot of them do look pretty bad. However it's cool that they have found a way to use parts that are not in the costume editor. For example, the hair part of Data and Beverly Crusher are not in the editor. So they found a way to use costume parts that are not even available to normal players. I wonder how?

The costumes are a simple human-readable text format saved on your local machine. However, they have a CRC of sorts, so simply changing values won't work. I would suspect either a leaked (or even not leaked) dev tool, or 3rd party reverse-engineered tool.

tnl3Zwx.png
  • oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    conspiracy-1-450x300.jpg
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2017
    That's definitely not the devs. I can't quite make out the fleet patch in the picture, but it looks to me to be the same group of players who were running around with appearances taken from TOS characters (through some sort of tailor exploit, I assume). I'm guessing they found game assets that will be used in some TNG promotion in the near future.
  • ev1taev1ta Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    It won't really feel like a TNG promo until Picard makes a return appearance!
  • binkleyboy#3920 binkleyboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    By the way. Some people are like "hey, they aren't hurting anybody. What's the big deal?". Well, I'll tell you. If Cryptic allows people to run around with Shatner or Stewart's face, and they haven't paid those actors to get their likeness, they might get in legal trouble. So while it might seem like innocent fun to run around using celebrity likenesses, it could wind up hurting the game you enjoy. Sometimes you have to take the time to think before you act!
  • josemialotjosemialot Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Devs just confirm it was only a "joke". A player make this by useing demorecord and Photoshop.
  • binkleyboy#3920 binkleyboy Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    josemialot wrote: »
    Devs just confirm it was only a "joke". A player make this by useing demorecord and Photoshop.

Unfortunately that is propaganda spread by the perpetrators to try to stay out of trouble. The truth is that if it were just client side demo-record meddling, no one other than the perpetrators would be able to see it. But since other people have seen their little attention seeking shtick on the live server, they have actually done some behind the scenes editing of files(which is obviously against the rules).

For emphasis, here are the 3 main points to remember:

1: if it were client side meddling, no one else would see it.

2: If other people see it, it means they are using actual hacks.

3: They are only claiming it is demo/photoshop to try to stay out of trouble.

Not too long ago these same miscreants were running around on Risa showing off their TRIBBLE costumes.

It's one thing to know how to do something fun and enjoy it within your own personal circle of friends, but when you start flaunting your hacking behavior in public, you can't expect not to get called out.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    Hey guys,

As mentioned above, this was a practical joke, and I've been shown proof of that. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.