test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most Hardcore Character?

admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
edited May 2017 in Ten Forward
This is a poll, obviously. A poll to decide which of the characters I have chosen is the most hardcore of all Star Trek. Ok, so you can probably imagine how I would have described them, but the censor probably would've censored it, so hardcore is what we get. Obviously, my choices may be biased, so an "other" option has been added for your convenience. Vote away!

PS. If you all come up with better options than I do, I may be open to making this poll a trilogy. :lol:
2jwMZnF.gif
Winning.
It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
Oh, look, an explosion...

Most Hardcore Character? 19 votes

Spock
0%
Montgomery Scott
10%
artan42bwleon7 2 votes
Jean-Luc Picard
0%
William T. Riker
0%
Data
5%
aten66 1 vote
Worf
15%
ikonn#1068ashstorm1neocatstar 3 votes
Benjamin Sisko
36%
garaks31crashdragongalatttheraven2378starswordcadmiralnatzebgodwin 7 votes
Martok
0%
Malcolm Reed
10%
markhawkmanjosemialot 2 votes
Other (Please Specify)
21%
coldnapalmantonine3258walligigjorantomalak 4 votes

Comments

• neocatstarneocatstar Member Posts: 240 Arc User
    Worf
    Nope Worf was the most awesome. he did it all
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JspTr5TdR4k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8MFp3-ebEQ
    leaving the enterprise was what made him epic imo
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    Worf
    I'd place Worf and Picard on equal grounds as far as hard-core goes.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Benjamin Sisko
    Sisko, he even intimidated Worf
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      Malcolm Reed
      Yeah, the Sisko is my #2 choice.

Must resist urge to post youtube clip of Worf getting beaten senseless repeatedly......
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      Montgomery Scott
      Montgomery 'what the bloody hell are the laws of physics?' Scott. Either one of him. Prime or KT.

Malcolm 'only sane man on the NX-01' Reed comes a close second. Picard, Sisko and so on are no suprises. They're all great leaders but Scotty and Reed are just exceptional normal people that just so happen to be as hard-core as all hell.
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
      Worf
      Yeah, the Sisko is my #2 choice.

Must resist urge to post youtube clip of Worf getting beaten senseless repeatedly......

I posted that scene because he spent days beating them until he began to wear out, and even then they couldnt defeat him...no character or even klingon in the empire could of pulled off the tank job he did to buy time!!
      2016-07-27-star-trek02.jpg
      ^hes also possessed the sword of kayless
    • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
      Other (Please Specify)
      Captain Kathrine Janeway

I mean seriously the lady committed genocide as a hobby went through the delta quadrant like ceaser and his legions and did it all while drinking a cup of coffee.
    • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
      Jadzia Dax didn't make the list.

Jadzia didn't lose. She didn't allow you to ever think she could lose. If she did lose she would try again and win.

Jadzia didn't take spit from nobody. You could not intimidate her. She could outfight a room full of Klingons, then out-brag them while outdrinking them too. In fact, the only Klingon to whom she ever lost a fight was Worf, and she let him win so he'd get all excited.

Jadzia was a better captain of Defiant than Sisko or Worf: smarter than Sisko, more aggressive than Worf. She fought to the end.

It wasn't the Dax symbiont. Ezri was still a whiny little girl after being given Jadzia's memories. It was all Jazia.
    • walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
      edited May 2017
      Other (Please Specify)
      Garak. Among other things the man murdered a Romulan Senator in a plot to get them to join the Dominion War. Sisko may have gone along with it, but it was Garak's idea and he was the one who pulled it off. He knew how to get things done and didn't let morality get in the way.
      sstosig2.png
    • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
      Benjamin Sisko
      You know, you raise some interesting points. We may need to run another poll with a different characters, and then maybe, just maybe, run a poll between the 2 winners.​​
      2jwMZnF.gif
      Winning.
      It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
      Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
      Bad writing aside, Janeway did keep her ship in one piece and got her crew home... WITHOUT support from a Starbase or reinforcements.

Honestly get sick of hearing "psycho" this and "genocidal" that. Blame the writers. Janeway did what she had to within reason to protect her crew.

Did Voyager make some mistakes on the way? Yes. Nobody's perfect. I'm sure even Picard might make a few mistakes were he in the same situation. But at the end of the day, Janeway DID do something no one in Starfleet has really done for over 100 years at least. Hell... even Kirk had support from starbases on his 5 Year Mission. The only other Captain I can think of who truly dealt with the unknown was actually Archer.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      edited May 2017
      Benjamin Sisko
      rattler2 wrote: »
      Bad writing aside, Janeway did keep her ship in one piece and got her crew home... WITHOUT support from a Starbase or reinforcements.

Honestly get sick of hearing "psycho" this and "genocidal" that. Blame the writers. Janeway did what she had to within reason to protect her crew.

Did Voyager make some mistakes on the way? Yes. Nobody's perfect. I'm sure even Picard might make a few mistakes were he in the same situation. But at the end of the day, Janeway DID do something no one in Starfleet has really done for over 100 years at least. Hell... even Kirk had support from starbases on his 5 Year Mission. The only other Captain I can think of who truly dealt with the unknown was actually Archer.

Ransom. He managed a similar voyage as Voyager for, what, 6 years? His ship was a hell of a lot smaller and less prepared for any voyages of any particularly long length, and still survived, albeit in more pieces and with a few skeletons in their closets.

Also, I'm definitely going to have to make a second poll with all the other characters we've been thinking up (so far I've got 5), and then have the 2 poll's winners (more likely their top 5, to max out all the possible options) put in a poll of their own. But I'll wait, you all got until Saturday until I make the next poll, and the next Saturday until we find out who the true hardcore character to end all hardcore characters really is.

(Also, should I dare add Khan to my second list? I was gonna use him in this one, but ended up including Malcolm instead. Thoughts?)​​
      2jwMZnF.gif
      Winning.

• galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
      Benjamin Sisko
      Sisko. One of the few people on the list brave enough to have children.
      sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
      Worf
      galatt wrote: »
      Sisko. One of the few people on the list brave enough to have children.

kirk had a kid, he was killed in star trek 3
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3s3qvQNuSk

Siskos son joined the press corps! Who would of guessed that Rom's son would turn out better of the two??
      Benjamin Sisko
      Just watch For the Uniform and In the Pale Moonlight, Sisko did some questionable things in those episodes
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
        Other (Please Specify)
        Garak is infilitrating this poll.
        Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
        Benjamin Sisko
        Ok, I'd just like to make it clear, there will be another poll that will include Garak, and that "other" literally can't win as any new character suggested will be in said next poll. :lol:​​
        2jwMZnF.gif
        Winning.

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
        edited May 2017
        Other (Please Specify)
        admiralnat wrote: »
        Ok, I'd just like to make it clear, there will be another poll that will include Garak, and that "other" literally can't win as any new character suggested will be in said next poll. :lol:​​

I got another "other" nat

Gowron
        nothing says hardcore then someone with crazy eyes
        5940cf9999cb6d2942ec7f9c5926444ca85e45b1c2a08eaf57c581b431f72aee.jpg
        Benjamin Sisko
        Ok, I'd just like to make it clear, there will be another poll that will include Garak, and that "other" literally can't win as any new character suggested will be in said next poll. :lol:

I got another "other" nat

Gowron
        nothing says hardcore then someone with crazy eyes
        5940cf9999cb6d2942ec7f9c5926444ca85e45b1c2a08eaf57c581b431f72aee.jpg

Done. Also, the second poll has been rescheduled to whenever we figure out 4 more names.​​
        2jwMZnF.gif
        Winning.

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        Benjamin Sisko
        The Sisko is of Bajor. He punched a god* in the mouth and got away with it. And they only called it USS Defiant because USS Ben Sisko's Motherf***ing Pimp Hand wouldn't fit.

* For all intents and purposes.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/

Ransom. He managed a similar voyage as Voyager for, what, 6 years? His ship was a hell of a lot smaller and less prepared for any voyages of any particularly long length, and still survived, albeit in more pieces and with a few skeletons in their closets.

Skeletons? Ransom lost his morality and started using sentient transdimensional beings as fuel, and tried to wreck Voyager when they found out! Ransom did redeem himself in the end, but still... using living beings as fuel to enhance the Warp Core is BAD.
        starswordc wrote: »
        The Sisko is of Bajor. He punched a god* in the mouth and got away with it. And they only called it USS Defiant because USS Ben Sisko's Motherf***ing Pimp Hand wouldn't fit.

* For all intents and purposes.

I will agree Sisko punched Q and got away with it. I will also agree that he was more willing to fight, which helped in the Dominion War. But he also used Trilithium Resin to render a Maquis world uninhabitable, which I believe would constitute a Weapon of Mass Destruction, and was willing to use it on more planets until one particular guy surrendered.

But he did punch Q and design a pretty tough little ship.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
        Benjamin Sisko

Skeletons? Ransom lost his morality and started using sentient transdimensional beings as fuel, and tried to wreck Voyager when they found out! Ransom did redeem himself in the end, but still... using living beings as fuel to enhance the Warp Core is BAD.

Like I said, skeletons. He made some bad decisions, sure, but he did keep his ship going for 6 years without any support; technically longer than Janeway at the time, since the Equinox obviously didn't show up after the Caretaker array was destroyed. Even then, how does one rank what was essentially genocide against Species 8472, and saving the Borg at that; I'd argue that might actually be worse. Which is worse; committing some genocide to save your crew, or committing some genocide to save your crew and the entire Borg Collective, who would in turn assimilate billions more afterwards?​​
        2jwMZnF.gif
        Winning.

I view it as a case of siding with the Devil you KNOW over the Devil you don't. And I'm pretty sure Janeway anticipated the Borg would stab them in the back, hence the quick reaction when the Borg did turn on her. Starfleet knows how to fight the Borg, and knows how the Borg fight. 8472... was a total unknown and showed no interest in negotiating with anyone. It was less genocide and more leveling the playing field. And considering how the Borg still got plastered, I don't think they adapted the equipment Voyager came up with as easily, if at all. And we have to consider that Borg territory is VAST. Voyager was only in a small portion under siege by the Undine.

Keep in mind that it couldn't have been an easy decision to make in the first place. But in the end, to save her ship and crew, picked the lesser of two evils. And a few years later Voyager totally obliterated a Transwarp Hub, so it balances out.
      • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
        Benjamin Sisko
        I view it as a case of siding with the Devil you KNOW over the Devil you don't. And I'm pretty sure Janeway anticipated the Borg would stab them in the back, hence the quick reaction when the Borg did turn on her. Starfleet knows how to fight the Borg, and knows how the Borg fight. 8472... was a total unknown and showed no interest in negotiating with anyone. It was less genocide and more leveling the playing field. And considering how the Borg still got plastered, I don't think they adapted the equipment Voyager came up with as easily, if at all. And we have to consider that Borg territory is VAST. Voyager was only in a small portion under siege by the Undine.

Keep in mind that it couldn't have been an easy decision to make in the first place. But in the end, to save her ship and crew, picked the lesser of two evils. And a few years later Voyager totally obliterated a Transwarp Hub, so it balances out.

"Showed no interest in negotiating with anyone"? Janeway didn't even bother trying. One soldier gave Poor Dumb Harry a few scratches while he was blundering around in a war zone. And the soldier showed remarkable restraint after that, just fired a warning shot that missed wide after Janeway fired at him (yes, a tractor beam is a weapon, albeit normally a nonlethal one).

And from this sole encounter and a five-year-old unreliable telepath's scary nightmare, she speculates that they "could" (her words), be worse than the Borg. So she aids the aggressor* in a war that does not involve the Federation (Prime Directive, hello?), and an aggressor no less that is de facto at war with her own government. The technical term for that is "treason".

* Because the Borg being the aggressors should've been the default assumption. Add criminal incompetence to Janeway's rap sheet for the episode. She's hardcore all right, hardcore insane.
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
        Scratches? It dang near killed Kim.
        War with the Borg? True, but again... which would be better? The devil you know or the devil you don't?

Voyager was CLEARLY a different design from Borg ships, with different technology. NONE of Voyager's crew were Borg. And yet, the Undine didn't make that distinction.

Again... devil you know or the devil you don't.

If you're going to be so hard on one Captain, why not the others? For all of Sisko's virtues, he basically used a WMD on a civilian target. I don't see the pitchforks coming out over that.
        Benjamin Sisko
        War with the Borg? True, but again... which would be better? The devil you know or the devil you don't?

Voyager was CLEARLY a different design from Borg ships, with different technology. NONE of Voyager's crew were Borg. And yet, the Undine didn't make that distinction.

If you're going to be so hard on one Captain, why not the others? For all of Sisko's virtues, he basically used a WMD on a civilian target. I don't see the pitchforks coming out over that.

And got the the Romulans into the Dominion War through false evidence and Garak killing a Romulan senator
        NMXb2ph.png
          Benjamin Sisko

Sisko may have made a few bad decisions of his own; but they were to save the greater good. Nuke one planet to prevent a full-scale war. Murder one guy to win another war and save people from subjugation. Saving trillions of Borg from a race of aliens who just didn't know one humanoid from another just so you and your people can fulfill one selfish desire to return to some planet without taking a long detour? That's where I draw the line. I'll admit, Ransom didn't do much better in that regard, as he did kill innocents for the sake of getting his crew home more quickly, but at least he didn't save the Borg from extinction while doing it!

As for the whole "devil you know or the devil you don't", did Janeway ever consider communicating with the Undine?​​
          2jwMZnF.gif
          Winning.

She really didn't get a chance until they found that Undine station with a mockup of Starfleet Academy.