test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I could use some advice with a map build.

I'm trying to design a bridge/fleet control centre and I'm having issues trying to get space so that neither half seems big and empty but at same time don't seem claustrophobic, I could use some advice from those more experience them myself as to how a build a space like that and make it work.

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Something like that could be as intensive as a custom map build or done just through a few walls placed on map. It really depends on what you want to do.

The bridge you used for Rauha's stolen Eclipse Cruiser, for example, could fit the bill just fine. If it's too big, then you can place one wall and two doors to break the space up a bit (setting off those rear consoles as a separate section.) If it's too small for what you want, then have a look through some of the old Federation station interiors. Some of those might have rooms that are either ready-built control centers or could be repurposed as such with more assets placed on map (ex. consoles, chairs).

If nothing works, then you're looking at a custom build (walls, floor, ceiling, consoles, additional rooms, the works). But in any case, how I'd go about the process is pretty much just trial and error. You try a space, see if it works for the purpose, and either modify (to make it better) or toss out in favor of something else. You keep working and with enough patience and effort, you arrive at something that you're happy/satisfied with.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    Something like that could be as intensive as a custom map build or done just through a few walls placed on map. It really depends on what you want to do.

The bridge you used for Rauha's stolen Eclipse Cruiser, for example, could fit the bill just fine. If it's too big, then you can place one wall and two doors to break the space up a bit (setting off those rear consoles as a separate section.) If it's too small for what you want, then have a look through some of the old Federation station interiors. Some of those might have rooms that are either ready-built control centers or could be repurposed as such with more assets placed on map (ex. consoles, chairs).

If nothing works, then you're looking at a custom build (walls, floor, ceiling, consoles, additional rooms, the works). But in any case, how I'd go about the process is pretty much just trial and error. You try a space, see if it works for the purpose, and either modify (to make it better) or toss out in favor of something else. You keep working and with enough patience and effort, you arrive at something that you're happy/satisfied with.
    I'm doing it as a two floor custom map (I don't want it to look too much like bog standard SF ship even though the aliens the ship belongs to are UFP members), but looking what you guys did for the 26th century KDF bridge in the roundtable has given me some new ideas I might test once the servers are back up and while I'm at it what time does the roundtable stream start for UCT/GMT, you only US time zones there and I live is northen Europe so I'm not that familiar with the US timezones (I got relatives that live in UK so I'm much more familiar with that timezone).