test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A sad ancient follower of the Roddenberry Universe.

Briefly.

We all become tired of gaming from time to time but if we really love a title we will return to it again and again. Sadly my fellow 1960s and 70s generation friends are now uninstalling or at least mothballing the game. I am not exactly excited in logging in myself to find yet another re-balance, bait and switch item sale etc and that is rather saddening. A common thread is they feel insulted that, as an example, after the purchase a 60" 4K Samsung smart TV, the shop turns up 12 months later, cuts 20" off it, fits a new surround, ensures it works, and with their best politician grin say to us that our original purchase retains value.

I suppose the new blood are the ones who are bringing in the $$$'s now and are the ones being catered for. I cannot blame them for that but It does not help with the feeling of being cast off that I and my old Trekkie friends feel.

Comments

• greywyndgreywynd Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I didn't see anywhere that he said he was quitting.

I logged in after a long absence to find my skill bar empty of everything except the freighter beacon. Had to rebuild my character (again), find where they were hiding the skills to put back in my bar.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    can I haz ur stuffz?
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    The re-balance makes the canonical torp/beams or torp/cannon more viable than before, as always some gear is better than others and pvp and dps boards attract people taking things to the nth degree. I really don't think that people wanting the game to be more like the shows should be put-off.
  • gtvadeimosgtvadeimos Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    azrael605

Quite troubling comments from you.

The post was made specifically stating only my lack of excitement at logging in and confined to mentioning my small number of fellow oldie STO friends who have left. No statement was made about anything in excess of that.

Your post however at best second guesses intent and at worst puts words into my mouth that were never there.

Balance is always an issue.

Where a game intentionally releases premium items to the live server that are deliberately unbalanced or known on Test Servers to be broken then nerfs them after purchases have been made can justifiably be accused of using Bait and Switch tactics. Perhaps an inconvenient truth but neither baseless or flaming.
  • david#5676 david Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I play on the Xbox and probably didn't notice the rebalance as much since I don't have much to base it on, but I can see where spending money on something and suddenly it isn't as boss as before would be irksome.
  • flumfflumf Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    It's not a bait and switch, The ToS clearly states that cryptic reserves the right to make any alterations to any and all items, systems, etc which they deem fit.

A bait and switch is a company advertises goods or services at what appears to be a bargain price with the intention of not selling what was advertised. Either the company never had the advertised item in the first place or salespeople try to pressure the customer into buying either an inferior substitute at a not such a bargin price or a higher priced item which is similar to what was advertised.
  • wildeye042wildeye042 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Ever since Delta Rising, STO has felt less and less like Star Trek and more and more like yet another generic MMO in space. Every time I watched a cut scene of me saluting I wanted to punch myself in the face. I will admit that there have been welcome improvements in the game mechanics (counterbalanced by an insidious power creep) since then but the Star Trek zeitgeist has since slowly eroded. The game has increasingly become a wash of sameness with the two-and-a-half factions all one happy family, new content designed to be played the same by everyone, and the new ships simply re=skinned for each faction. You can't have IDIC if there are no differences. Meaningless choices are boring.

Obviously, STO is meant to make money which is entirely appropriate but less focus on pew pew and more on exploration and discovery and diplomacy and hope and wonder would be welcome by this unrepentant Trekkie and would keep me coming back in the future.
    Post edited by wildeye042 on
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Bloody hell you people... a rebalance pass and you act like it's suddenly Combat Upgrade or New Game Experience (look it up, sad chapters in what was an interesting game). All they did was balance some things here and there. That's it. Something people had been asking for, by the way, cause heaven forbid you should learn to work with what you have. Either way, this wasn't something Cryptic pulled out of nowhere for shyts and giggles, they'd been working on it to address what the community felt were gross violations of balance. Maybe try and work with it a little more before denigrating it.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    To the OP: I feel your pain.

My issue is not with Cryptic nerfing, reworking, and twerking; this is an MMO, and everyone in the industry wants to be the second to come out with the next big thing. Innovations that fail often take down the innovator as well when they do. Recycling what works with better graphics is far less risky. I can't blame Cryptic for doing what they feel they have to do even when I don't necessarily like it.

My issue is with the general direction CBS is taking Trek. What was once a show about the perfectibility of human kind is becoming a show about how screwed up humanity will still be in 400 years. I don't like dark and edgy Trek because it just becomes CSI Federation, and we already have enough TV shows that show how screwed up humans are.

Optimism. What a concept. Trek came out in the middle of one of the less optimistic times in our history and said in a loud and clear voice, "We can, we will, be better." Since the death of Roddenberry Trek has had an increasingly darker message, that not only won't we be any better 400 years from now, but that we lack the potential to ever change. The Discovery trailer leaves me feeling that Trek is going even darker.

Its not just STO that's leaving us old guys behind.
  • bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    What the OP is saying is true, only if you expect STO to cater to you individually. I for one do not. I appreciate STO for
    what they offer, a backdrop of Trek that I can navigate as I wish, play as I desire. Changes come and go. Some good, some
    not so good. Nothing in STO is perfect. But the "good" that they offer, far, far outweighs the bad.

For what its worth from one "traditional" Trek fan. BCW :)

ps: Born in 1960.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Sorry, OP. When you buy a TV, it doesn't come with a disclaimer that the manufacturer can show up at your house and make physical changes to it after the fact. However, C-store purchases and everything else in the game DO come with the disclaimer that everything is subject to change at a later date.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Hm, at the moment I’m rather happy with the state of the game. It’s not perfect but good enough. Recent nerfs were a hit in the face for everybody who took the game seriously and supported it but was deemed necessary to give the whole bunch of STO forums scrubs and all the two left handed players a chance to be at least in the same instance as veterans.

I see it as sacrifice and moved on with daily play.

Other than that the game is fun if one plays it and not just hangs around doing nothing.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I'm left handed. Not seeing the connection.
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    > @david#5676 said:
    > I play on the Xbox and probably didn't notice the rebalance as much since I don't have much to base it on, but I can see where spending money on something and suddenly it isn't as boss as before would be irksome.

console hasn't even got the changes yet.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Bloody hell you people... a rebalance pass and you act like it's suddenly Combat Upgrade or New Game Experience (look it up, sad chapters in what was an interesting game). All they did was balance some things here and there. That's it. Something people had been asking for, by the way, cause heaven forbid you should learn to work with what you have. Either way, this wasn't something Cryptic pulled out of nowhere for shyts and giggles, they'd been working on it to address what the community felt were gross violations of balance. Maybe try and work with it a little more before denigrating it.

Indeed. It's regular MMO practice and nothing evil or out of the ordinary, but people through a tantrum left and right. There are a lot of things about STO that you can legitimately complain about, but the rebalance is really the least of then since it shows that the team is still working on the game.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    I'm left handed. Not seeing the connection.

Forgot two and edited. thx. :D
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • veeger#9876 veeger Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Sounds like you could use a break from the game TBH. Perhaps try another MMO. But be wary, change is an inevitable part of healthy MMOs.
  • bluesunshot#7246 bluesunshot Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    First, I quit threads are not allowed. Second, you do not speak for all older fans, I've been a fan since the 1970s & you absolutely do not speak for me.

That is nicely put.

I'm a fan since the 70s and i am enjoying Star Trek then, now and later. If i miss the old time, i will pop a movie in my dvd machine, sit and enjoy the show.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    I love it, and i dont care if they change things from time to time, most of the changes are good (some hiccups here and there), but they solve them mostly quickly, and i'm a fan since i born... 75, why people dont like change is beyond me, but everyone is different, i guess...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    gtvadeimos wrote: »
    Briefly.

We all become tired of gaming from time to time but if we really love a title we will return to it again and again. Sadly my fellow 1960s and 70s generation friends are now uninstalling or at least mothballing the game. I am not exactly excited in logging in myself to find yet another re-balance, bait and switch item sale etc and that is rather saddening. A common thread is they feel insulted that, as an example, after the purchase a 60" 4K Samsung smart TV, the shop turns up 12 months later, cuts 20" off it, fits a new surround, ensures it works, and with their best politician grin say to us that our original purchase retains value.

I suppose the new blood are the ones who are bringing in the $$$'s now and are the ones being catered for. I cannot blame them for that but It does not help with the feeling of being cast off that I and my old Trekkie friends feel.

What are you on (about)? Is this about La Grande Nerf?! Even I got over it. :P So can you.

Also, inb4thelock
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    flumf wrote: »
    It's not a bait and switch, The ToS clearly states that cryptic reserves the right to make any alterations to any and all items, systems, etc which they deem fit.

It's still a Bait & Switch: just one the ToS allows them to do.

Thing is, I rarely care to admit it, but power creep is an inherent necessary factor in an MMO (as players always need an incentive to buy something better than they currently have). Which also means, that, every once in a while, a kind of 'reset' is required. Very annoying when it happens, but inevitable, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Op have you checked your TVs setings you might be in fullscreen or cinema mode which will compress the size of the viewing area.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    It's still a Bait & Switch: just one the ToS allows them to do.
    Uhh no

Bait and Switch implies they had some pre existing knowedlge that they would change those items before they released them, they did not.

The 'preexisting knowledge' lies in the inevitability that comes with power creep. Aka, they already know power creep can't be sustained indefinitely, and that they'll need to nerf it all again, one day.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited May 2017
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    The 'preexisting knowledge' lies in the inevitability that comes with power creep. Aka, they already know power creep can't be sustained indefinitely, and that they'll need to nerf it all again, one day.
    That is not pre existing knowledge that you would change the item in question, only that you would have to change some things.

No court would hold your argument as being valid.

Except it's not a generic 'change some things,' but a downright nerf. And we're not talking Courts here, but the simply the acknowledgment that, inevitably, power creep needs a massive nerf at some point; and that said nerf, technically, constitutes a 'Bait & Switch', but one the players know about upfront, and one that simply goes with the territory of an MMO.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
This discussion has been closed.