test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

star trek discovery would be added to star trek online someday

xayssxayss Member Posts: 391 Arc User
i check the trailer today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mesUEFjas
i wonder someday this new serie would be on star trek online univer someday??
nexus.jpg

Post edited by xayss on

Comments

• pweistheworstpweistheworst Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    No thanks. You know this franchise is in trouble when the Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody sitcom on FOX (The Orville) looks more like a real Star Trek series than the new "official" Star Trek series.

Discovery looks like something that was vomited up by the special effects team that worked on the Transformers movies ... and then some idiot executive at CBS said, "Throw the words 'Vulcan' and 'Klingon' into the script and call it 'Star Trek' so we can sell this trash to idiot fanboys."

If this is the future of Star Trek Online then I'll quit playing now while this game still resembles the Star Trek I've loved since I was 6 years old.
    In the immortal words of Captain Sisko: "It may not be what you believe, but that doesn't make it wrong."

Don't believe the lies in this forum. I am NOT an ARC user. I play STO on Steam or not at all.
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    No thanks. You know this franchise is in trouble when the Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parody sitcom on FOX (The Orville) looks more like a real Star Trek series than the new "official" Star Trek series.

Discovery looks like something that was vomited up by the special effects team that worked on the Transformers movies ... and then some idiot executive at CBS said, "Throw the words 'Vulcan' and 'Klingon' into the script and call it 'Star Trek' so we can sell this trash to idiot fanboys."

If this is the future of Star Trek Online then I'll quit playing now while this game still resembles the Star Trek I've loved since I was 6 years old.

I kinda like the seth series, looks like a fun version of a TV galaxy Quest.

As for discover, I could see some missions where you cross over via daniels and you help out a time or two maybe bring one of the actors over for a Voice Over cameo and tie it into a episode or something. Maybe you get a ship or two in the zen store from it like how the JJ verse ships were brought over.
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
    Forgot to add, maybe have another season arc where just Like agents of yesterday, your character starts off in the JJ timeline and ends up in the "Best timeline"

I would play that though, having about 15 episodes where you are starting off in the discover tiem frame / line and end up in 2409 TNG starfleet, heh heh
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I would love to know why they felt the need to change how klingons look, I can accept the new ships, and uniform/costumes as *insert annoying hollywood excuse* and the cost of getting new star trek but the rest of the changes bug me.

the rest looks fine.. if it ruins your trek, it's ok your trek never existed in the first place. remember kirk was a outerspace cowboy player who shot from the hip.

oh and if you can't see the video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

this is the star trek channel one.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • nefarius2nefarius2 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    i5zxNM9.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Well. Yes. It will need to be retroactively placed into the official prime timeline of Trek history. And into context for the STO Path to 2409. But the question is, will it be 10 years before Kirk's command of Enterprise (2265) or ten years before Spock's history (2254) with the Enterprise? The writer's need to be more specific about that point. Because it matters.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    I don't see why it wouldn't be, especially after it officially releases. Surely there can be some tie-ins. Even before JJ-Connie, Vengeance, etc. officially released, STO already had nods to JJ-Trek.

STO acknowledges all the different major points of Star Trek. TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, even a few nods to TMP-era movies (wish there were more). JJ-Trek is now officially part of STO. So Discovery will be a part of the game eventually. It'd be foolish to believe otherwise.
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited May 2017
    nightken wrote: »
    I would love to know why they felt the need to change how klingons look, I can accept the new ships, and uniform/costumes as *insert annoying hollywood excuse* and the cost of getting new star trek but the rest of the changes bug me.

the rest looks fine.. if it ruins your trek, it's ok your trek never existed in the first place. remember kirk was a outerspace cowboy player who shot from the hip.

oh and if you can't see the video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

this is the star trek channel one.

Visually, I think they're doing it to cut the franchise off now from the previous shows and go with a totally new look for a different generation. I'm not fond of it, but looking at it coldly, I can understand why.

Of course, if they had set the show long after anything shown in the TV shows, movies, i.e. decades or even 100 years after the end of the Dominion War, we wouldn't be having this "Everything looks too damn different!" drama. Well, maybe except for the Klingons...
    XzRTofz.gif
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    Looks more impressive than I thought it initially did...

Maybe... Just maybe...

CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Klingons in this time period should look like this, if I'm not mistaken. (They were going for the Mongolian horde look).
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg

So I wonder how they ended up with this instead:
    star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Random mutation, small Klingon sect that tried to restore their former appearance, Klingons who successfully evaded the mutagenic virus...???

Though I wish the trailer didn't look so much like JJ Trek, I'm curious to see more.
    szim wrote: »
    Klingons in this time period should look like this, if I'm not mistaken. (They were going for the Mongolian horde look).
    Klingon_3_variants.jpg

So I wonder how they ended up with this instead:
    star-trek-discovery-klingons-01.jpg

Random mutation, small Klingon sect that tried to restore their former appearance, Klingons who successfully evaded the mutagenic virus...???

Though I wish the trailer didn't look so much like JJ Trek, I'm curious to see more.

They look like a TNG klingon and a Alien Xenomorph got wild one night after too much blood wine.
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Looks more impressive than I thought it initially did...

Maybe... Just maybe...

CM

Barring some exceedingly stupid lighting and some of us having quibbles about design decisions, I will admit the show looks pretty good with some serious backing. It does not look low budget that's for sure, which is a thing sci-fi TV shows often face.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I for my part like the new trailer. Only the appearance of the Klingons takes a bit to get used to (I grew up with TNG/DS9+VOY).

Of course I’d love to see the new series being adapted into the STO universe one way or the other. Let it be ships, stories or characters.

I think the past five years I spend more time playing STO than I ever spend watching the various screen incarnations of star trek, not to mention books or other games of the franchise. I’m confident whatever cryptic is allowed to come up with will be cool and hopefully contribute to a long life of Star Trek Online.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Depends on what part of Discovery will be added. Costumes and ships could be added a few months after the Discovery Series Premiere. Missions and other story content will take at least a couple of years since it requires time to properly establish the setting.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    Given it will be early days, and hence the content to build on will be small, we're probably looking at a lock-box at least, and a one-off Terminal Expanse-like mission at the most. They'd only to an AoY style after a few seasons when we have more to play with.

With 2009-STiD we had to wait a bit before getting it, and Beyond is still pending. However, that was Paramount and Discovery is entirely within CBS' domain. Perhaps they are planning on a launch-day tie-in provided there are no spoiler items? Not impossible, but not likely I suppose.

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    Didn't they say at some point last year that they were already talking to CBS about ST Discovery? We could get the new assets in STO sooner than we might think.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    With 2009-STiD we had to wait a bit before getting it, and Beyond is still pending. However, that was Paramount and Discovery is entirely within CBS' domain. Perhaps they are planning on a launch-day tie-in provided there are no spoiler items? Not impossible, but not likely I suppose.

I'd consider it HIGHLY likely. STO represents a good sized nest of internet connected fans to be woo'd for the new streaming service and the TV show is a mass media presence for the IP. Cryptic seems to have finally been allowed to at least sit at the big table and I'm sure all parties concerned grasp how cross-marketing helps all of them rake in the quatloos.

• saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    And another big message eaten by these bugged forums. Starting to really annoy me. Anytime when those are finally fixed?

So basically:
    This doesn't work in the Prime Timeline, put that in the Kelvin Timeline and the vast differences of technology in only 10 years will be more credible.
    The Klingons' redesign is not only pointless, it also damages more than just continuity.
    If you make a prequel to an old movie, at least TRY to be coherent. Star Wars did a far much better job at bridging eras with Rebels and Rogue One with recent movie-making tech.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's purposefully something entirely new, only called "Star Trek" to cash in on name recognition. Just like the movies. It's all the trend in Hollywood nowadays.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I still think they are not Klingons.. or not pure ones, proto-klingons perhaps??, as far as the trailer let us know they are at the very edge of known space (for that time period), so it could be anything, i like the general aesthetics so, i'm gonna whatch it on netflix.. also, i'm pretty sure my son will love it
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Therein lay the point though. I very much doubt that this was made specifically for 'fans'.

They'll be looking to gain interest from a new auidence/generation.

Isn't that all to be hoped for? If something's made for the fans it relies on an intimate knowledge of the series (which in part is what defines the fan). That precludes thoughtful development of elements which we fans take for granted, since that would be taken as fans as slow, plodding, and unnecessary to their interests. Ex. just who are the Klingons? That, in turn, can result in truncated story arcs (at the front end) which only a few can truly engage with (ie. series fanatics.)

Star Trek has always tried to be appreciable to a wide audience. That's what made the first few series such a powerful cultural touchstone. It seems rather selfish to me, to now claim that Discovery isn't doing the IP justice because it's taking a new path (apparently) on even the most familiar things to the franchise. That's the best case scenario. Maybe we old/crusty fans can have that thrill of discovery again in learning about the Klingons and the FED in this era, while everyone else can have a new series to latch onto (without first having to take an introductory course in Star Trek fandom).

It's a fine line but I think the Discovery trailer shows that CBS is walking it sufficiently.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Uniforms, sure!
    Ship, sign me up!

But those TRIBBLE "Klingons​" need to be erased from existence, not added to STO ... how the frak do you mess something like that up so badly!?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    gaevsman wrote: »
    I still think they are not Klingons.. or not pure ones, proto-klingons perhaps??, as far as the trailer let us know they are at the very edge of known space (for that time period), so it could be anything, i like the general aesthetics so, i'm gonna whatch it on netflix.. also, i'm pretty sure my son will love it

What I'm starting to think is that they aren't typical Klingons, ie. members of the KDF looking to promote their gov's political interests. "Religious sect/cult" (especially given that sarcophagus) is my guess, a new entity that spells significant complications to official relations between the KDF/FED.

Ep 1. Shenzou finds these Klingons up to no good, tries to stop them before they retrieve the in-stasis body of an ancient warrior, but gets destroyed (leaving the Klingons to escape with their prize.)

Shenzou survivors reassigned to a new ship: U.S.S. Discovery with the remit (from both FED and KDF) of pursuing these Klingons into uncharted space.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    gaevsman wrote: »

What I'm starting to think is that they aren't typical Klingons, ie. members of the KDF looking to promote their gov's political interests. "Religious sect/cult" (especially given that sarcophagus) is my guess, a new entity that spells significant complications to official relations between the KDF/FED.

Ep 1. Shenzou finds these Klingons up to no good, tries to stop them before they retrieve the in-stasis body of an ancient warrior, but gets destroyed (leaving the Klingons to escape with their prize.)

Shenzou survivors reassigned to a new ship: U.S.S. Discovery with the remit (from both FED and KDF) of pursuing these Klingons into uncharted space.

Yeah... could be, i prefer to wait and see, but i'm pretty sure is not "doom", i think its going to be fun..
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • veeger#9876 veeger Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    I can't wait to see how Cryptic integrates Discovery. I'm looking forward to this series a lot.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    These maybe the ancient Klingons that Bryan Fuller was talking about. However, I like the trailer and I am looking forward to this new iteration of Star Trek.
This discussion has been closed.