test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - Trailer 1

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
edited May 2017 in Ten Forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM

It's official! 15 episodes (not 13) coming this fall!
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Is there anything wrong with colours? I mean if my computer screen can display so many colour why does 23th century glass display(ughhh, too cliche)only display generic scifi neonblue everywhere? Why csnt they keep the colourful tos style, no one is asking to replicate it, but tos and well, tng-era all have alot more colour than generic scifi blue.

The ship, not much can be seen, but from what i can see, i am sold. Looks good. Uniform isnt the cage uniform but TRIBBLE it it looks good, i feel it does have some retro to it, and ribbons, cant be tos-era without ribbons.

Klingons? Hurq? A coffin? Wot??
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Well, it looks better than I had feared, and I'm glad they dumped the TMP-reject design they had before. Not a big fan of the overall look (especially the Klingons). Feels like it takes most of its cues from JJ-Trek, and I'm not really happy about that. Of course, what really matters is the writing and you can't tell anything about that from the trailer.
  • Options
    walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    I'm interested. I really like the uniforms. I do kinda wish they were going with the TNG/DS9 Klingons, but it is not that big of a deal to me. I'm just excited to see some new trek and it looks pretty good. I can't wait to see what they do with it.
    sstosig2.png
  • Options
    > @walligig said:
    > I'm interested. I really like the uniforms. I do kinda wish they were going with the TNG/DS9 Klingons, but it is not that big of a deal to me. I'm just excited to see some new trek and it looks pretty good. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Biologically its not that different from tng era, updated of course. But the thing they are wearing...
  • Options
    k20vtec wrote: »
    > @walligig said:
    > I'm interested. I really like the uniforms. I do kinda wish they were going with the TNG/DS9 Klingons, but it is not that big of a deal to me. I'm just excited to see some new trek and it looks pretty good. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

Biologically its not that different from tng era, updated of course. But the thing they are wearing...

I think the whole design for klingons here is pretty bad, and I suspect it doesn't speak well of their being three-dimensional characters. The designs are dark and cluttered, which makes their faces hard to see. Film directors usually take care to leave faces visible for emoting, that the klingons are hard to see suggests they're going to be flat, villainous villains.
  • Options
    david#5676 david Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    Bring it to tv or Netflix in the USA and I'd love to give it a shot. Unfortunately, cbs all access is a no go for me.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    No way can this be prime timeline. Nope. Nada.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options
    Well, it looks better than I had feared, and I'm glad they dumped the TMP-reject design they had before. Not a big fan of the overall look (especially the Klingons). Feels like it takes most of its cues from JJ-Trek, and I'm not really happy about that. Of course, what really matters is the writing and you can't tell anything about that from the trailer.

The ship in the trailer is the Shenzou...they never showed Discovery
    original join date 2010

• Options
    You fans should stop being so butthurt. Its 2017, not 1966. Of course things have to look different.

But we still wanted to use that 1966 setting anyway, even though all the post-nemesis hologram-touchscreen-so-future is already there. So we have to do the 1966 tos-era, but make everything not tos-era anyway.

You fans should stop complaining and whining and just accept it.
  • Options
    You fans should stop being so butthurt. Its 2017, not 1966. Of course things have to look different.

But we still wanted to use that 1966 setting anyway, even though all the post-nemesis hologram-touchscreen-so-future is already there. So we have to do the 1966 tos-era, but make everything not tos-era anyway.

Really? Enterprise acknowleged the look in "In a Mirror Darkly", TNG did in "Relics", DS9 did in "Trials and Tribulations", and VOY did the movie era. So no....they don't HAVE to look different. Some upgraded panels and effects sure. But everything in this screams Kelvin Timeline, not Prime.
    original join date 2010

• Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    If you think something is fake, you're supposed to post the Vreenak meme.
  • Options
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > All I see is "video not available". If you're going to post a fake trailer, you have to do a better job than that. FAKE NEWS!

Youtube have it uploaded
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    darakoss wrote: »

Really? Enterprise acknowleged the look in "In a Mirror Darkly", TNG did in "Relics", DS9 did in "Trials and Tribulations", and VOY did the movie era. So no....they don't HAVE to look different. Some upgraded panels and effects sure. But everything in this screams Kelvin Timeline, not Prime.

Playing Devil's Advocate here... Having nods to TOS like that is fine, but not as a mainstay as they want to attract NEW viewers. Not just cater to old fans. Odds are they'll do something similar to what was done with Enterprise, Make it look advanced and futuristic while at the same time not so advanced that it exceeds what was seen in TOS. The only thing though is that holocommunications thing we saw may seem out of place. Until we see more details on the consoles, we can't say for certain that it is "too advanced".

What was futuristic in the 1960s looks outdated and childish today, and wouldn't attract new viewers. Modern keyboards look more advanced than some consoles aboard the original Enterprise.

Also... Kelvin Timeline ships were a similar design style to the Kelvin until the Enterprise was launched. So if this was Kelvin Timeline... wouldn't that ship have details more like the Kelvin herself?

db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I think we really need to move on, as fans, from complaining about how the Klingons don't look the same as they did in a previous series.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    I think we really need to move on, as fans, from complaining about how the Klingons don't look the same as they did in a previous series.

I'm not complaining because they don't look the same, I'm complaining because they don't look good.
    Insert-Klingon.jpg

And on second viewing, the interior designs don't actually look too bad... at least in photos...
    Insert-Bridge.jpg
    ...But in the video, they're obscuring them with annoying lighting and lens flares like in JJ-Trek! It's annoying and disorienting.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Am I the only one getting a Stargate vibe from the Klingons? The uniforms and set designs just scream Jaffa and Goa'uld... they even have torches scattered around, the only thing they are missing is the decorative helmets.

Edit: I'm also a tad disappointed in our main character being an openly emotional half-Vulcan. Yet another chance for the writers to TRIBBLE all over the Vulcans by portraying them as having passive aggressive racial supremacist attitudes.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Mixed feelings about it. Glad about the idea of Star Trek returning to TV after more than a decade of being off, but I'm not exactly happy about the visual direction they've taken. But I guess the franchise has to go with the new look for today. Star Trek isn't exactly reeling in a new, younger fanbase like Star Wars does, so something has to give.

They really should settle down on the lighting, goodness, it even obscures the characters for no purpose at all.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Most of what I see looks good ... but the design of those "Klingons" is almost bad enough for me to give up on it now. Wtf were they thinking!?

Hopefully there's a "this is a small faction that attempted to cure themselves of the augment virus but instead became mutants" type explanation, cause that design is just fraking terrible. If the explanation is going to be "they always looked like that" then I give up, try again in another 15 years.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...this IS set in JJverse after all...because if it ain't CBS just killed the prime timelime.

Considering the U.S.S. Kelvin LAUNCHED and EXISTED IN the prime Timeline (the divergence happened when Nero's ship appeared); and given the U.S.S. Shenzou has NX-01 design elements (IE the Saucer Section and the Gold Deflector Dish) - meaning it's most likely an older vessel maybe at its prime in the 2230ies (like the U.S.S. Kelvin) - sorry, I don't see a problem placing this series in the Prime timeline.

This Trek fan who's been watching Star Trek first run since 1969 (I was 6) loved the trailer and is looking forward to more. We're definitely back in the 23rd Century. Gone is the 24th Century 'Boardroom Star Trek' TNG era (IE They all sit around a Conference Table and talk for 1/3 to 2/3rds of an episode).

Couldn't be happier. ;) (YMMV of course.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    And the punchline is that it would have worked perfectly if set in a future timeline with giving these antagonist Aliens a new name. :/

Why this damn unhealthy fixation to play in the established past eras combined with the utter incompetence to do it accordingly? Wanna do new stuff? Do it in a future timeline.

These Aliens would look cool as new type of Aliens. Calling them Klingons after how thoroughly they have been established and evolved from TMP till end of ENT screams of disregarding ignorance.
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    So...this IS set in JJverse after all...because if it ain't CBS just killed the prime timelime.

Considering the U.S.S. Kelvin LAUNCHED and EXISTED IN the prime Timeline (the divergence happened when Nero's ship appeared); and given the U.S.S. Shenzou has NX-01 design elements (IE the Saucer Section and the Gold Deflector Dish) - meaning it's most likely an older vessel maybe at its prime in the 2230ies (like the U.S.S. Kelvin) - sorry, I don't see a problem placing this series in the Prime timeline.

This Trek fan who's been watching Star Trek first run since 1969 (I was 6) loved the trailer and is looking forward to more. We're definitely back in the 23rd Century. Gone is the 24th Century 'Boardroom Star Trek' TNG era (IE They all sit around a Conference Table and talk for 1/3 to 2/3rds of an episode).

Couldn't be happier. ;) (YMMV of course.)

10 years before Kirk is 2255 which puts it int "The Cage" era. That means the uniforms are wrong. The aesthetics are wrong, and the Klingons (If these are the shows true Klingons of the era) way off. The Shenzou having a Kelvin vibe is ok but everything else still seems to have a KT look. Now if Discovery herself looks that way then they messed with continuity yet again.
    original join date 2010

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    And the punchline is that it would have worked perfectly if set in a future timeline with giving these antagonist Aliens a new name. :/

Why this damn unhealthy fixation to play in the established past eras combined with the utter incompetence to do it accordingly? Wanna do new stuff? Do it in a future timeline.

These Aliens would look cool as new type of Aliens. Calling them Klingons after how thoroughly they have been established and evolved from TMP till end of Voy scream of .disregarding ignorance.

Oh please. Someone needs a refresher on Klingon appearance changes over the run of the Star Trek franchise:

ST:TMP: First time the Klingons looked different from the Star Trek TV series Klingons, and the first time we heard the Klingon language spoken.

STIII:TSFS: Second time we see Klingons AND these Klingons look very different from how they looked in ST:TMP

ST:TNG TV Series: Third time we really see Klingons - and they do look similar to STIII:TSFS Klingons. Klingon look becomes in general more consistent (some minor changes season to season with Worf. We also see Klingon blood is in fact red in TNG: "Redemption II" - when Worf cerimoniously cuts ghimself as his family honor is restored

STVI:TUC: Here we have Klingons again, but they do look (again) quite different from pervious Klingon versions - and here their blood is pink.

ENT: Klingons here look like TNG style Klingons again.

My point? Even in the so called 'Prime' Universe sorry, but the 'Klingon look' from ST:TMP on (and back in the 'past' of TOS on ENT) has never been consistent. BUT, everything listed above is a part of the 'Prime' Star Trek universe from 1966 - Now.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    The Klingons aren't so bad. Stupid costumes not withstanding their make up is more similar to the TNG style than the TMP or ID styles were. Also, it's never ever said all Klingons were affected with the Augment Virus anywhere in canon. Ever. Ridged Klingons in the TOS era is not a problem, at all. The same as when they appeared in ID and TMP.

Also, a lot of the problems with design are nullified if this were to be advertised as a equal to ENT and the Kelvin not as a prequel to The Cage/TOS because there is a clear and distinct design lineage that runs from the NX to the Kelvin and to the Shenzou/Discovery and spins off into the KT. Even to the space suits, more similar to the MACO EV sits and the space diving suits of 09 than the painted tinfoil of TOS. The interiors of the ship feel very like the Kelvin or Franklin and the lighting is very like the Kelvin.

If anyone was expecting TOS aesthetics over ENT/KT aesthetics for this show they are delusional.

I am not a big fan of the lighting and cinematography shown, however it's a trailer, it could be tampered with to disguise unfinished effects and poor rendering that has yet to be smoothed over.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I like it.

Not a fan of the new Klingon look, I thought it was nice that they settled for a more consistent look in the TV shows TNG, DS9 and VOY, but whatever.

I don't think we'll ever get the TOS style aesthetics back, and I am totally fine with that. They can't help but date the franchise and make it look obsolete and out of touch with modern viewers.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Judging by trailers I am more excited for "The Orville" than this. But anyone who doesn't like this is just butthurt and can't adapt to new things, IDIC blah blah blah so I probably won't wste my time commenting on this a lot.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    rocketfromthe#7059 rocketfromthe Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Anyone else see the trailer yet
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou