What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Sci-Fi concepts that you'd wish we see LESS of

Comments

• highlord83highlord83 Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    starswordc wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    But humans didn't know for almost the entire war WHY the Covenant were so hostile. Yea the Forerunners picked them to be their successors, but there was no sign or anything left to tell humans that. Just the fact they could actually USE Forerunner tech. The Prophets saw Humanity as a threat to their power because "OMG! A species the people we worship picked over us! Our followers might abandon us for them! EXTERMINATE THEM TO PRESERVE OUR POWER!"

The fact remains Humans were on the brink of defeat because they weren't as advanced as the Covenant. It took a Civil War breaking out within the Covenant, combined with pure luck at taking out the Covenant leadership on the Arc, that saved them.

Yeah, but my point is, why would the Forerunners pick humanity and not one of the other species? For crying out loud, the ancient human empire had been wiped out by the Forerunners themselves. Why not the Sangheili, or the San-shyuum? It's just humanocentrist writing again, "Humans Are Special" for no clearly defined reason.

Because the more level heads among the Forerunners realized too what ancient humanity was running from and had annihilated their civilization, only to discover that the Flood was about to wipe out the Forerunners and that their only possible ally was already dead under their guns. Humanity was "chosen" to reclaim what was rightfully theirs anyway as a desperate attempt at atonement and to again fight the flood in the future.

As for the trope as a whole, well it should be obvious. Most writers and viewers/readers are human.

But for what I'm tired of, it something that irks me every time I see it. On tabletop games, in video games, movies and books. For some odd reason, authors think unsupported light infantry reign supreme in war.
    "So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again."
    -Dedication plaque of the Federation Starship U.S.S. Merkava
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    admiralnat wrote: »
    The obvious distinction between good guys and bad guys; let's have one where neither side are actually "good" nor "bad", but have them both be right and wrong in different given ways.​​

Less common because it's harder to write, and more risky for mass consumption. Does exist, though.
    admiralnat wrote: »
    Or just give us straight-up bad guys vs. other bad guys, with no good guys. How are those not already a common thing? Even so, why is it that humans are always involved?

Also exists, and also much harder to pull off. Easy for the audience to just stop caring when bad stuff will happen regardless of who wins.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Stories that are morally grey tend to be rather hard to pull off. I remember reading a book a long time ago where the ostensible heroine was a war bride who'd been captured much like Tasha Yar and decided to use her position to exert a subtle influence on what was to her a hostile culture. REALLY weird in that she's literally sleeping with the enemy and walking among them daily, but rather compelling in that some of what happened I could visualize an actual person doing. In some ways the book was like Star Trek but with no actual aliens and just multiple human cultures that ruled separate parts of the galaxy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    highlord83 wrote: »

But for what I'm tired of, it something that irks me every time I see it. On tabletop games, in video games, movies and books. For some odd reason, authors think unsupported light infantry reign supreme in war.

Starship Troopers movie much? :p
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    highlord83 wrote: »

hey, my unsupported light infantry always reigned supreme in C&C Generals...as long as they didn't run into a microwave tank...or a dragon tank...or gatling guns...or toxin tractors...or dr. thrax​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Unsupported Infantry is both versatile and vulnerable. In my experience Infantry typically can handle multiple enemy types, but is also vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons and tactics.

Battle: Los Angeles might be an offender in the "Godly unsupported Infantry" category, but you gotta consider that the movie follows one squad of Marines during an alien invasion of LA, so naturally they typically get Plot Armor until the story says otherwise.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Unsupported Infantry is both versatile and vulnerable. In my experience Infantry typically can handle multiple enemy types, but is also vulnerable to anti-infantry weapons and tactics.

Battle: Los Angeles might be an offender in the "Godly unsupported Infantry" category, but you gotta consider that the movie follows one squad of Marines during an alien invasion of LA, so naturally they typically get Plot Armor until the story says otherwise.

Yeah, but Battle: Los Angeles gets high marks for squad-level military competency on both sides of the war.

On the alien side, they use realistic tactics like area-denial barrages with artillery and set up a highly-effective ambush by herding the Marines into a boxed-in position between houses where they fire on the human troops from the rooftops, using hand-signals and suppressive fire. When they first emerge from the water, they do so in a loose, staggered formation, with what looks to be a five-meter spread. This is pretty much the best way move from deep water to land on foot while potentially coming under fire, as being that spread out limits the effectiveness of grenades and artillery.

On the human side, the squad-level tactics are on point as well, with humans using marching fire and urban warfare tactics.

The movie may not be the best out there, but they got the military operations aspect down pat.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
    True. Also showed the humans learning as they went. Staff Sgt. Nantz identified the Drones were homing in on transmissions, identified the fact they were using Drones, figured out the best way to kill the aliens quickly...

So yea. Battle: Los Angeles did pretty good.
    edited May 2017
    True. Also showed the humans learning as they went. Staff Sgt. Nantz identified the Drones were homing in on transmissions, identified the fact they were using Drones, figured out the best way to kill the aliens quickly...

So yea. Battle: Los Angeles did pretty good.

Then there's Battleship, which sacrificed accuracy for crazy-awesome.

Seriously, the sight of the Mighty Mo opening up with full broadside barrages against the alien threat almost makes up for the fact that there's no way in hell the heroes could get a 70 year old museum ship up and running with less than a skeleton crew, let alone fire the sixteens in such rapid succession (each turret required a crew of 79 to operate and could fire up to two rounds per minute with a full team... They fired a lot more than that with a LOT less people).

We're not even going to mention the anchor-driven power slide...

Despite all those glaringly bad actions, it's a sight to behold when she opens up with a series of broadsides.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.

Then there's Battleship, which sacrificed accuracy for crazy-awesome.

Seriously, the sight of the Mighty Mo opening up with full broadside barrages against the alien threat almost makes up for the fact that there's no way in hell the heroes could get a 70 year old museum ship up and running with less than a skeleton crew, let alone fire the sixteens in such rapid succession (each turret required a crew of 79 to operate and could fire up to two rounds per minute with a full team... They fired a lot more than that with a LOT less people).

We're not even talk about the anchor-driven power slide...

Despite all those glaringly bad actions, it's a sight to behold when she opens up with a series of broadsides.

Also I think the Missouri doesn't even have props anymore so she technically can't sail under her own power.

But yea... it made for an awesome story. And I believe the "anchor-driven power slide" is actually a legit maneuver that was once used by Pirates back in the days of tall ships known as clubhauling.
    clubhauling
    English
    Noun

clubhauling (plural clubhaulings)

(nautical) A risky maneuver whereby a sail-boat tacks (turns sharply into the wind) by dropping one of the front anchors, the intent being to snag the anchor on the seabed and use the ship's momentum to swing it around faster than could otherwise be accomplished; it is essentially a nautical handbrake turn.

A similar scene, but in a more realistic setting, was seen in the first Pirates of the Caribbean, where they clubhauled the Interceptor to be able to bring the guns to bear.
    yep; the AoS version of a high-energy turn​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    But yea... it made for an awesome story. And I believe the "anchor-driven power slide" is actually a legit maneuver that was once used by Pirates back in the days of tall ships known as clubhauling.
    clubhauling
    English
    Noun

clubhauling (plural clubhaulings)

(nautical) A risky maneuver whereby a sail-boat tacks (turns sharply into the wind) by dropping one of the front anchors, the intent being to snag the anchor on the seabed and use the ship's momentum to swing it around faster than could otherwise be accomplished; it is essentially a nautical handbrake turn.

A similar scene, but in a more realistic setting, was seen in the first Pirates of the Caribbean, where they clubhauled the Interceptor to be able to bring the guns to bear.

Yes, but that's a wooden ship (wood is far more giving than steel) that weighs far less and is traveling much slower.

In the case of the Iowa-class, you need to work out the speed of the object and its weight, for the Iowa class that's 54,000,000kg, then the speed, that's 37m/s. From that you can derive force with simple multiplication. That's 1,924,000,000n. Now, lets find the thickness of the steel in the chain of an Iowa class, or better yet, lets make up a thicker one. Chains with a 10 inch link thickness, giving us a total thickness of 197 square inches, or 0.128M.

Now, lets figure out the newton's per square meter, you can figure this out. That's a staggering 15,031,250,000n/m. Now, with the help of an online calculator we can convert that to PSI. that's... staggering... 2.18 million psi of force. The tensile strength of structural steel tops out at about 100k psi. The Iowa moving at full speed would easily snap all four of her anchor chains if she could snap these monstrous made up chains like that. Lets not forget to mention that any flaw weakens the steel, and a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. It's not just some dumb saying.

Things I want in STO:

I did point out that the Pirates instance was more realistic than the Battleship one.
    I did point out that the Pirates instance was more realistic than the Battleship one.

,,,and I simply replied with exactly how much more unrealistic the Battleship one was.

Things I want in STO:

Well, you also need to consider that you need to actually touch bottom with the anchor, and grab something that CAN slow you down. A metal battleship would just keep going until the anchor caught something solid like rock. And if it was moving at speed it might snap the anchor chain if the anchor got completely stuck.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Is there going to be a thread about 'Sci-Fi concepts that you'd wish we see MORE of'? Because I want to see more blue milk and Keenser.
  • admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Is there going to be a thread about 'Sci-Fi concepts that you'd wish we see MORE of'? Because I want to see more blue milk and Keenser.
    I don't think anyone planned on it, but I suggest you go for it, people may have ideas.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • david#5676 david Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I want to see more cow bell.
    i want to see more swarms, because not only is it NOT stupid like a certain someone pointed out, it's being put into practice right now in the actual world, even if not reaching true 'swarm' levels yet (see USA and drones)​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    Swarms make sense when they can be fitted with weapons capable of inflicting damage upon larger craft (e.g. torpedo planes and torpedo boats against battleships), but in Star Trek, the main defense is the shields, and the main offense is energy/particle beams, both of which scale with the output of a ship's main powerplant. Thus in Star Trek, bigger is better as long as you can maintain tolerable maneuverability.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Also, a large craft can stay in a fight whereas the references I left in the OP all have a scene in which the swarm is wiped out with a single, powerful attack (or, in Beyond's case, they are kamikaze ships in the first place - those mooks really got no background whatsoever in the movie, so it's impossible to tell wether they were drones or undead fanatics).​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > Also, a large craft can stay in a fight whereas the references I left in the OP all have a scene in which the swarm is wiped out with a single, powerful attack (or, in Beyond's case, they are kamikaze ships in the first place - those mooks really got no background whatsoever in the movie, so it's impossible to tell wether they were drones or undead fanatics).​​

The recording of Capt. Edison says something about a "drone workforce​", which was presumably supposed to refer to the swarm ships.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The recording of Capt. Edison says something about a "drone workforce​", which was presumably supposed to refer to the swarm ships.

Ah, that slipped my mind. Good catch, thanks pig-1.gif Still doesn't make it any better to produce ships just to ram them into things pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    > @angrytarg said:
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    > The recording of Capt. Edison says something about a "drone workforce​", which was presumably supposed to refer to the swarm ships.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Ah, that slipped my mind. Good catch, thanks Still doesn't make it any better to produce ships just to ram them into things ​​

Well, factoring in that the drones just have small arms and are weak enough for a baseline human to defeat hand-to-hand, I figure the ships are repurposed construction ships or some such, a la a Sphinx workpod on the Ent-D, and that the humanoids are just for basic facility security. They fought by ramming because that was the only way they COULD fight: a welding laser would be an annoyance at worst to a capital ship.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

I want to meet a computer that doesn't want to kill me.

Wall-E

DARYL

The ship's AI from Flight of the Navigator

Things I want in STO:

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    1) Our advanced technology is just from some alien devices we found or were given to us, and it's all been a great secret.
    Lame.

2) Women gets pregnant by weird alien/monster and the embryo grows quickly so the women can give birth in hours, days or a few weeks at best.
    Not that common anymore, but meh either way.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Ah, that slipped my mind. Good catch, thanks pig-1.gif Still doesn't make it any better to produce ships just to ram them into things pig-2.gif​​
    Just think of them as potentially reusable missiles. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Say it with me folks... Space Is Not An Ocean and There Is No Atmosphere In Space.

I would love to see realistic ship movements. No banking and turning like an airplane. It doesn't work in space.

Things I want in STO:

edited May 2017
    > @themadprofessor#9835 said:
    > Say it with me folks... Space Is Not An Ocean and There Is No Atmosphere In Space.
    >
    > I would love to see realistic ship movements. No banking and turning like an airplane. It doesn't work in space.

https://youtu.be/hBOpydEs6g8

Seriously though: nBSG.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png