test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Jupiter vs Universe: which is the better carrier?

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    Universe. Better pets, as even if the pet AI derps out as much as it does with Calistos, they have FAW with Fore and Aft beams which allows them to do at least some damage if an enemy is in range, as well as 'Scratch the Paint' which makes them able to survive warp core breaches. On top of that, it has Cruiser Commands, automatic power buffs to allies within a certain range, thicker hull, and has two more weapon hardpoints. Dual Spec too. Temporal which has some nice things that do damage, including the rather powerful Recursive Shearing III, and somewhat more lackluster Command on the which might be worthwhile to work in Rally Point Marker I to keep it's large hull topped off.

It also doesn't have to rely on narrow-arc Sci abilities to put out any sort of damage, thanks to it being able to slot half-decent Lt. Comm Tac abilities if the Uni is used as Tac.

Jupiter's advantages: Cheaper, a higher turnrate and better inertia, higher shield mod on the Fleet Jupiter (narrowly higher on the C-Store version too).

For the console, we'll have to see the numbers on it before judging that, and it sounds to me like the starship trait isn't all that great (but neither is the Jupiter's).
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I really like the Jupiter's console, both the mechanics and fluff/visual, the console represents something that is actually on the ship.

I think the Jupiter looks cooler too, but your right the Universe had better boff opinions and more toys.

Also your right about mechanically the Support crafts have an advantage over the Callistos, although Callistos do have scratch the paint as well.

Still I think that the Callistos look better and in conjunction with the Jupiter's console are tankier. Even without the Callistos have nearly 60,000 Hull points at rank 5, that more then most of my playable ships.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »

It kind of depends on how you wish to build the ship.

If you like Science abilities, then the Jupiter probably gets the edge. The Universe big advantage is that it has 8 weapon slots so it doesn't need to rely on it's pets as much as the Jupiter with it's 6 weapon hard points.

If you do go Jupiter though, resist the urge to buy Callisto's.. they're absolutely awful. They are completely and totally worthless as they don't follow your ship from battle to battle. They perform fairly well in combat, but if you engage full impulse to move to the next group, the Callisto's follow you at the speed of molasses running up hill. They're utterly and completely pathetic.

I have a character that speced into Science abilities, I put her in a Jupiter and loaded it with Obelisk Swarmers and it's pretty potent. The Jupiter also has the advantage of being cheaper (unless you're lucky) and is an account wide unlock.

Take my advice with a grain of salt though, I happen to like the Jupiter and I hate the Universe, so I admit I have bias toward the Jupiter.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I've gotten used to getting around the Callistos flaws, I usually just dock them before going to the next fight, or if it's close enough I'll let the Callistos catch up.

They're going to fix the Callistos before the space balance fixing is over (it's coming, but not released yet).

If you want more damage, your better off with swarmers, but honestly the Callistos put on one hell of a show when they unleash their torpedo spreads and CSVs. The fire works are great.
  • tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 525 Arc User
    I certainly HOPE they fix Callistos some more, even after the space balance initial patch, they seem to be a bit on the derp side sometimes. They ignore attack orders and whatnot.