test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Seeking advice for Romulan ship and setup

narxes081206narxes081206 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
I have enough zen to buy a new ship for my Romulan engineer. I really like the scimitar ships so I'm wanting to get one of those. I'm considering either the tactical or engineering variant. I'm thinking of trying a cannon based build w/torpedo(s), and utilize some form of science BOFF for crowd control. With the new balance changes I took quite a hit of almost 20k dps on my other characters (all federation), so I'm looking for some advice on which variant to get, and basics on load-out.

Comments

• Options
    postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Advice is wait for ship sale that should be happening pretty shortly* - 2400 zen for a T6 or 4800 for 3 pack. All three variants can have sci Ltcomm: the tac and operations variants via a universal/command and the Sci variant by science slot or the universal seat.

On paper for dps I'd expect the tac variant to be tops, due to extra weapon power and tac console slots. It also comes with a trait to adds damage, critH and critD for each torp hit and can be triggered by TS, so that fits with what you want. As with every ship there is never enough boff seats to get everything, going sci with the ltcomm univ/comm means either 4 tac abilities and 4 eng, or 6 tac and 2 eng, plus 5 sci( maybe 2 comm). If you've flown the slower Fed cruisers you'll know what boff abilities matter to you.

For me a slow ship with DHC has got to have A2D and EPTW, is that enough eng boff slots for you or do you trade two tac for two eng?
    Not such an issue if you have uber dps or eng cooldown reduction.
    I think mixing energy weapons with torps puts a real premium on tac abilities - no point in having a torp with a way to boost it.
    Thinking ATPO, grav well, kemo, TS, CSV

* my guess is next weekend or the week after
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    The Scimitar line isn't very easy to pilot, and doubly so with cannons and torps. It is by no means impossible, but expect to have to up your piloting game if you want to be able to point your nose to the target. Turnrate of 7 base and Inertia rating of 'slipping on a banana peel' doesn't make it a very easy DHC/DC and torp boat. The few times I've brought one out with cannons, I usually stacked a few turnrate boosts (such as 'Advanced Engines' Rep Trait) and bolted on 8472 Counter-Command engines (one of the fastest turning engines and gives +5 Inertia rating) to help things out. Much easier to run, though lower damage, with single cannons, but still not space bar and win like the average FAW boat.

As for which to buy, I'd save up and wait for a sale to grab the three-pack. Most high-end builds I've seen use the Tac and Eng variant consoles combined with the Timeline Stabilizer from the Event ship, so grabbing those two at once means you'd get the third free. Also, the meta shifts now and then. Up until S13 the recommended variant was the Science version, but the reasons for going for that variant have largely evaporated with the nerf to Plasma Exploders and Feedback Pulse.

This was posted today on STOBuilds reddit: 158k DPS ISA CannonTorp Khopesh Tactical Dreadnought Warbird which looks to be solid for the current meta and goes into a lot of detail of why things were chosen and a bit in how to fly it.
  • Options
    narxes081206narxes081206 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    Thanks for the advice fellow captains...I think I'll wait for the ship sale and just buy the 3 pack. I'll keep looking for more build insights until then.