test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Roundtable Mission Building Challenge #2 - The U.S.S. Infinity

drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
Hello and welcome to the next Foundry Mission Building Challenge, sponsored by the Foundry Roundtable.

From the date of this post, authors will have 5 weeks to create their missions, after which there will be 3 weeks for the community to play through and cast their vote for the winner. The winner will be determined by a majority vote.

The mission creation deadline is 4 p.m. US Pacific Time, Sunday, May 14. The voting deadline is 4 p.m. US Pacific Time, Monday, June 5.

Challenge Topic:

For this Foundry challenge, tell the story of what happened to the U.S.S. Infinity! This Atlas-Class Dreadnought disappeared without a trace from the Denobula Sector in 2272 (Shortly before Star Trek: The Motion Picture). What happened to Captain Miranda Myers and the crew of the Infinity is entirely up to you!

Provided here is an except from an issue of Jayce’s Navy Interstellar with details on the disappearance as well as the history of the Atlas Class.

IO2L5pJ.jpg

RhAw1xW.jpg

3XqOG1n.jpg

Sliders have been provided for Captain Myers, which authors may use if they wish.

Prizes to be announced at a later date.

Rules:

Please make sure to adhere to the Foundry EULA and the rules below.

Authors must add their mission to the official Mission Thread including the following information.

Mission Title:
Your @Handle:
Faction:
Level Requirement:
Mission Summary:

The above needs to be filled out completely by the due date/ time for your mission to be considered, and your mission must be published in-game at such time to be considered -- unfortunately, any mission that cannot be found in-game by the time the voting starts will be removed from this entry thread.

If you are unable to push the "publish" button at this time due to timezones/ work schedules, please wait until the latest possible moment before this day/time. Also, if you need to publish your mission to test things, that is fine too, but please make sure to unpublish after testing is complete.

Rules of the challenge:
  • The challenge will run for 8 weeks total, 5 to build the missions and 3 for the community to play and vote. If there is any unscheduled lengthy downtime during the challenge, the deadlines will be extended by the appropriate time.
  • There are no right or wrong stories to tell, as long as the mission is about the fate of the U.S.S. Infinity.
  • Missions should take 30-45 minutes for a player to complete, in order to make sure players can play through all the missions in a reasonable amount of time.
  • Once the mission is published, it should not be withdrawn, even temporarily. The only exception to this would be if for some reason players are saying they can't complete it and you need to fix something so they can. If you find spelling mistakes, feel free to fix them only after the competition ends. In general, we want all the voters to be considering the same version of your mission.
  • Voting: when the 5-week build period ends, a voting thread will be posted with the information on all submitted missions. When you have played through the missions and selected your favorite, send a forum PM or Twitter DM to @drogyn1701. This will serve as your official vote. Limit 1 vote per person.
  • In the event of a tie, @duncanidaho11’s cat has been chosen as the impartial tie-breaking judge.
  • You may leave a review on each mission you play if you wish, but it is not required.

A few other important reminders:
  • Please heed the Foundry's EULA when submitting your entry! This applies to any mission made in the foundry. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!
  • Each author may only have one entry, no matter how many accounts they have.
  • We'll have three threads: One to discuss the entries (this one), one to submit entries, and one with the official entries list for voting that will be posted when the buidling deadline arrives.
The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
Post edited by drogyn1701 on

Comments

• thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    There's nothing more compelling than a mystery. ;)
  • odyssey47odyssey47 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    So they disappeared before the refit but after they got their Motion Picture pjs lol Glad to see that uniform getting use.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    This the era when the uniform switches uniforms? If so, are we okay to use both?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • elijahthomasstoelijahthomassto Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    Are we free to change or disregard the details from the news stories? I've found some of it inspiration and all of it interesting, but my idea is taking off in a very different direction.
    Foundry Missions by @ElijahThomas

e3e7b26f-fe46-407a-9b30-9b78e5b43584_zps7b329b80.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    elijahthomassto wrote: »
    Are we free to change or disregard the details from the news stories? I've found some of it inspiration and all of it interesting, but my idea is taking off in a very different direction.

I think the most relevant rule is:
    There are no right or wrong stories to tell, as long as the mission is about the fate of the U.S.S. Infinity.
    I would personally define the U.S.S. Infinity as the ship detailed in Drogyn's article, summarized as "An Atlas-class dreadnought, Captained by Miranda Myers and lost in 2272 while on routine business in FED space." The guys might be more or less lax, but that's my take. If your story requires something radically different to that then perhaps that idea would be best handled outside of the official challenge. Creativity is definitely encouraged but there's got to be some structure for a group challenge to be a thing. :)

If you're not sure exactly where your idea falls, feel free message @drogyn1701 and/or the rest of the Rountable crew with what you have in mind and he'll/we'll be able to provide more specific feedback.

thay8472 wrote: »
    This the era when the uniform switches uniforms? If so, are we okay to use both?
    2272 is concurrent with estimates for when the Motion Picture took place, but it's certainly possible for the uniform swap to be an ongoing/incomplete thing (we've seen from TNG/DS9 that it can take time, and we don't know exactly when they started switching to the TMP uniform.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • elijahthomasstoelijahthomassto Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    elijahthomassto wrote: »

I think the most relevant rule is:
    There are no right or wrong stories to tell, as long as the mission is about the fate of the U.S.S. Infinity.
    I would personally define the U.S.S. Infinity as the ship detailed in Drogyn's article, summarized as "An Atlas-class dreadnought, Captained by Miranda Myers and lost in 2272 while on routine business in FED space." The guys might be more or less lax, but that's my take. If your story requires something radically different to that then perhaps that idea would be best handled outside of the official challenge. Creativity is definitely encouraged but there's got to be some structure for a group challenge to be a thing. :)

If you're not sure exactly where your idea falls, feel free message @drogyn1701 and/or the rest of the Rountable crew with what you have in mind and he'll/we'll be able to provide more specific feedback.

I can work with that. Thanks.
    Foundry Missions by @ElijahThomas

e3e7b26f-fe46-407a-9b30-9b78e5b43584_zps7b329b80.jpg
  • thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2017

I will add that the article tries and gives a couple clues (such as the reports of unknown alien vessels,) but these are all unsubstantiated. Meaning that they may not be real. Everything after the ship vanishing from sensors is completely up to you.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    So we have it announced in the patch notes that Season 13 will bring Foundry downtime. Obviously we have no way of knowing how long it will last, so we will be delaying the mission publish date and the start of voting accordingly.

Once editing and reviewing are back up, I will allow three days for finalizing and then everyone will need to have their missions published and we can start playing and voting. So relax for a bit, play some S13 content, polish your script if you want, and we'll be back in business when the Foundry comes back.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    I know we are getting the delay in, but I figured I should post the Mission Info now for my Entry and make it official.

Going to use what time I get to polish from this point out, but, when the new date comes out to publish I should be ready!
    With Foundry functions returning, I'll remind everyone participating that the deadline for mission completion and publishing will be three days after the return of reviewing. We want to make sure the missions can get out of the review tab as quick as possible during the playing/voting window. I'll post a specific date when I can.
    Reviews are back too. ;)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    We are looking at Monday 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern) US Time then for the publish button? Roughly?
    We are looking at Monday 4pm Pacific (7pm Eastern) US Time then for the publish button? Roughly?

Later, actually. It looks like reviewing only came back online briefly today but now it's definitely offline. Drogyn will update the thread with the official new deadline once we're certain things are back up and running.
    Any word on editor bugs?
    Ghost white planets and Objective Triggers are still at large.
    edited May 2017
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    Any word on editor bugs?

For the most part foundry downtime is (for us) just downtime. I would not expect major bug fixes unless those happen to be rolled into the season release. That (the season) takes time, energy, and manpower to get out the door and stabilize in the following weeks. It's going to take priority. :)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    edited May 2017
    No I meant are there any NEW bugs?
    odyssey47 wrote: »
    No I meant are there any NEW bugs?

Not as far as I've seen.
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    About new bugs... a visual one? Did someone notice the TOS bridge now has all the black panels substituted with some sort of reddish hue? There's some of it even in TOS interiors.
    edited May 2017
    About new bugs... a visual one? Did someone notice the TOS bridge now has all the black panels substituted with some sort of reddish hue? There's some of it even in TOS interiors.

Sounds like a texture's gone missing, make sure it's reported over in the Foundry bug forum (with screenshots, if possible.)
  • helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User

Sounds like a texture's gone missing, make sure it's reported over in the Foundry bug forum (with screenshots, if possible.)

Forget that. Played with another machine and TOS interiors seems to be very much OK. Some texture may have been missing... locally.

Forget that. Played with another machine and TOS interiors seems to be very much OK. Some texture may have been missing... locally.

That's a possibility, or it's a random error of some kind. If you try it again on the first machine and the TOS interior is fine, could be the latter. I'd say just keep an eye out and run through the usual troubleshooting steps (ex. restart, force verify) if issues are encountered.
    Soooo, the 14th now? Trying to set up my schedule to see if I need to make arrangements for pushing the publish button.
    edited May 2017
    Reviewing is back on (just tested it).

So, I am setting the new publishing deadline at 4 p.m. US Pacific Time on Sunday, May 14.

Please have your mission published by that time. Anyone who hasn't posted their details in the mission list thread please do so. You all have the weekend for polishing and then we can get this competition up to warp speed! Voting will be from May 14 to June 4.
  • rickysmith1rickysmith1 Member Posts: 610 Arc User
    Its a shame I missed this one, my entry would have fitted perfectly within my STC Series. Oh well, win some you loose some.
    STAR TREK CONTINUES
    Episode One - A Single Moment Episode Two - Infancy Episode Three - Unto the Breach
    Episode Four - Head Of A Needle Episode Five: The Duality of Men Episode Six - Redemption Earned
    Episode Seven - Shattered Universe Episode Eight - The Gepetto Condition Episode Nine - One Room, Two Officers
    Episode Ten - Beyond The Farthest Star Episode Eleven - It's OK, It Won't Hurt Episode Twelve - A Protracted Officer
    Episode Thirteen - Somewhen Episode Fourteen - The Boy Who Lived Episode Fifthteen - Empathy
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    If any challenge participants would like to have a banner to display in their sig, here ya go. :)

qPWsSKK.png

Direct link: http://i.imgur.com/qPWsSKK.png
    OOoh, me likey. I'll snag that for the advert-asment!
    My apologies I didn't get mine finished in time. I do plan to still finish it however but not in time for the contest. Good luck to everyone that entered.
    Sorry to hear that Ody, we will definitely give it a play when it's finished.
    Thanks. I will be playing and voting however.