test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Okay, dear devs: How many PvP matches does it take for the Player Potential system to work?

Because, after 10 matches (both PvP and CPvE), it doesn't seem like it does. The results are always pretty one-sided.

I suspect I am not the only one observing this. Any confirmations or contradictions?
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.

Comments

• gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    And where do you see your level? i dont know where
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    It's kind of difficult for a system to group up players of equal skill when only 10-20 players is doing pvp at any given time.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    Guess I'll try it with my zero skilled main toon and a lowbie ship when I get home. What could go wrong ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I suspect it will take more like days or weeks then hours.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Ranked matchmaking systems like this are 1. not a cure all (by any means) and 2. long term. The more games you play the more validity your rank has, as all the other external factors (ex. circumstances of the team/match/luck) will even out to a degree in the player-adjusted win/loss statistics.

Basically, don't look to the player potential system as a new gameplay feature or something to grind for. It's just there in the background adjusting the odds of you getting matched to players in similar circumstances (according to skill history). It doesn't prevent bad matching (especially with a limited number of player for any given queue) it's just an extra safety measure.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    so, according to the most recent patch notes, the PPS hasn't even been ON the past 2 days - they will be turning it on for PvE tomorrow and PvP...whenever​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    What shadowfang240 said!
    6tviTDx.png

• nekofury86nekofury86 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Because, after 10 matches (both PvP and CPvE), it doesn't seem like it does. The results are always pretty one-sided.

I suspect I am not the only one observing this. Any confirmations or contradictions?

Seems that PvP does not currently have this function.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10479003
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I'm absolutely sure PPS will fail to make any big differences, mainly because we don't have enough people joining the queues, thus PPS won't enough data to work with.

When game is presented with 10 players, there's no way you could always arrange them into equal teams.

Let's take this extremely simplified scenario, and assume for a moment that PPS has very good capabilities to actually determine how much DPS a player does (spoiler alert: it won't have it). Let's say currently there are 1 100k-er, 1 40k-er and 8 10-kers waiting in Core Assault queue, and everyone are familiar with mission objectives. So obviously the team composition would be "100k, 4x10k" vs "40k, 4x10k" players. And there you go, Team 1 totally steamrolls Team 2.

But alright, they don't really have any ways to measure how much DPS someone puts out, nor do they have any clue how well someone can deal with puzzles. So most likely this system will work with gear score + win/loss ratio combination.
    Knowing how some people have steamrolled elites with mk II gear, while others are struggling to even do more than 5k DPS with mk XIV epics, gearscore won't work.
    Win/loss ratio has better chances of working, but again, with too low amount of players queued, it can't make miracles. And it also has the luck aspect, meaning players can win just because they were lucky with their teammates or the opposing team just was even worse.

So yeah, sorry if I sound overly pessimistic, but I simply can't see any ways of the system actually improving the quality of pugs.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I could imagine that the pool of players to choose from is much to one sided to get this system to work the way some … peeps around here dream of.

It’s not as if it is surprising to anybody who plays this game but in my estimate for every single good player we get like 100 bad ones. Don’t believe me? No problem, simply parse 10 cca runs to get the picture. The new system simply has a hard time to make something out of it because one individual in queue can already bring it out of balance for the 9 others (exactly like in most cca).

I only did 3 runs so far but did the same like I do when playing other pve. I assemble a partial premade of peeps with mixed capabilities. One can fine tune the difficulty one experiences pretty good that way.

All 3 runs I did were a close catch with the other team. I felt challenged which is nice. Hope more peeps go for it.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    Just remember even if the system works perfectly you will still come across one-sided fights.