test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Polaron variants - help decide

DPS-wise, which is better overall: Thoron-Infused from the Delta rep or Protonic from the Dyson rep?

I have a Polaron build, mostly Protonic atm, but have one weapon slot currently equipped with a plain Polaron beam array. Any set bonuses would be a plus. Thanks.

screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png

Comments

• Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    delta or lukari. protonic isn't the great.

oh the episode set is pretty good.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User

As far as which types and related sets are better dps wise (delta, dyson, lukari, or chronometric calculations set from Time and Tide) I think it's just a matter of getting as many set bonuses working synergistically as possible and to personal taste. You see many builds using multiple set bonuses. I have a toon that uses protonic as well and it seems that type of proc is wonderfully nebular (hard to pin down).

I prefer crafted weapons to share between toons to fill in the gap and have placed a bet by getting some [Acc] [CrtD]x2 [Pen] weapons (including polaron) but until April 25 happens all bets are off for what works best until we see the final product.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Yeah unless you are going to go all out towards getting alot of the proton proc out of your weapons, and the science consoles that give a chance to proc proton target on those targets being affected by exotic damage an shield draining effects. Also proton damage has very few sources you can gain to buff it's damage.

So I would go either thoron for damage oriented style of play. While if you are going more defensive tanky style than the lukari rep polaron type is a good choice. Either way getting access to the polaron set from the mission so you get the omni-array for polaron type, as well as the console that buffs polaron (lukari has a similar console too). Though I will say I do like the Vaadwaur polaron energy sub-type from the lockbox, though finding it is hard to find now on the exchange compared to back before the infinity boxes came out.
    Post edited by asuran14 on
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    On a Rom Tac Dyson with all protonic gear, my highest parse was 45K DPS ISA. Not a polaron type I'd recommend whatsoever.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Hey OP? This may help you decide a few things about your build. Someone else suggested getting as many systems working as synergestically as possible. Good advice. This build also works just fine with garden variety Polaron as well. As a TAC I find the optimum mods on the weapons are [Dmg]x3 [Pen]. As one of the other two classes, the mods I like are [CrtD]x3 [Dmg]. I went all Turrets because it was an itch I wanted to scratch. Works a lot better than I thought it would and is fun to play.

**Ship Information**

Name: I.K.S. wa'SanID nav pe'(One Thousand Cuts)
    Class: Fleet Kamarag Battle Cruiser Retrofit (T5-U)
    Intended Role: Thinking outside the box when it comes to ship loadouts and capabilities. Inspired by autumnturning.

Commanding Officer: Dahar Master Cha Herom
    Career: Science
    Faction: Klingon Defense Force
    Species: Lethean
    Primary Specialization: Intelligence
    Secondary Specialization: Command

Notes: Liking the extra HP

Ship Loadout - Final? Why should this refinement of the basic build be considered final?

Fore Weapons
    Krenin Chroniton Torpedo Launcher Mk XIV(VR)
    Protonic Polaron Turret Mk XIV [CrtD]x2[Dmg](UR)

Aft Weapons
    Heavy Chronometric Polaron Turret Mk XIV(VR)
    Omni-Directional Chronometric Polaron Beam Array Mk XIV(VR)

Notes: Decided to try out the Polaron enhancing Chronometric Calculations Set. Meant I had to give up the aft torpedo. This is an acceptable trade off, as long as I keep the Turn rate high enough to be able to use the Torp in the Set.

Deflector: Terran Task Force Deflector Array Mk XIV
    Impulse: Terran Task Force Impulse Engines Mk XIV
    Warp Core: Terran Task Force Capacitor Warp Core MkXIV
    Shields: Terran Task Force Covariant Shield Array Mk XIV

Notes: The Terran Task Force Set has a feature where power levels build past 125 gradually as long as the ship is in combat. This fits in nicely with the pressure build concept. Doesn't hurt to have that extra power for firing off a finishing torpedo either.

Devices
    Subspace Field Modulator
    Temporal Negotiator
    Red Matter Capacitor

Notes: Batteries work well here as well. Tested them with only some loss of capability. The probelem with Batteries is this build eats them like candy. Have plenty on hand if you're going to be in heavy extended combat.

Engineering Consoles
    Conductive RCS Accelerator Mk XIV [DrainX](VR)
    Quantum Phase Converter Mk XIV(VR)
    Zero-Point Energy Conduit Mk XIV (VR)
    Tachyokinetic Converter Mk XIV(Rare)

Notes: Trying to wean myself off Plasmonic Leech, lol. Went through my inventory hunting for Consoles which added to Drain Expertise. Conductive RCS Accelerator is two for one with the the [DrainX] Mod. Quantum Phase Converter adds Aux Power and [DrainX]. Zero-Point Conduit adds Power to all systems, has [DrainX], and increases CrtH as well. These three Consoles total 91.8 Drain Expertise. Tachyokinetic Converter adds to Turn Rate and CrtH.

Science Consoles
    Restorative Particle Focuser Mk XIV [DrainX]x2(UR)

Notes: These four Consoles have 59.4 Drain Expertise each.
    The final Drain Expertise stat with Cha's Abilities and Traits added in comes to 507. Not bad for a non science ship

Tactical Consoles
    Chronometric Capacitor Mk XIV(VR)
    Vulnerabilty Locator (Polaron) Mk XIV(VR)
    Vulnerabilty Locator (Polaron) Mk XIV(VR)

Bridge Officers
    Universal/Tactical (VR Lethean): Torpedo: High Yield I | Cannon: Rapid Fire I
    Tactical (VR Lethean): Torpedo: Spread I | Cannon: Scatter Volley I
    Tactical (VR Lethean): Tactical Team I
    Engineering (VR Lethean): Engineering Team I | Emergency Power to Shields II | Emergency Power to Weapons III | Eject Warp Plasma III
    Science (VR Lethean): Science Team I | Tyken's Rift I | Gravity Well I

Duty Officers
    (VR) Energy Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the recharge time when using cannon special attacks
    (VR) Projectile Weapons Officer - Chance to reduce the reload time when using torpedoes (Law from Nimbus III)
    (VR) Warp Core Engineer - Chance of temporarily improving your ship power on the use of any Emergency Power ability
    (VR) Development Lab Scientist - Recharge time reduced for Science Team and Buff
    (VR) Gravimetric Scientist - Chance to create an aftershock Gravity Well

Notes: Drain with this setup is 507. Acceptable, if a little low. Accuracy is 24% CrtH is 8% and CrtD is 93%. Again, acceptable if a little low. I'm trying to create the Pressure build autumnturning suggested, so I am reminded a rising tide lifts all boats. Not going to worry about DPS with this one. Grav Wells routinely spawn two more and all three are at maximum reach, effect and duration. Tyken's can stop an NPC battleship as well. In short, the Bad Guys tend to stay where I want them to, lol.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The only polarons that actually have the polaron proc (drain subsystem power) are vanilla, phased and dyson. All the others have generic procs that may or may not be too great but this is only worth considering if you skill into drainx in the first place.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    Thanks guys for all the advice!
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png