test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can you use timeframes between the (live-action) series in a foundry project?

There's something I've been wondering and couldn't find a clarification for, can you use timeframes that are between the Star Trek series (while using assets from said series) for example can you have an ENT era mission set in 2160 (ENT ended in 2155 if I recall correctly) or is that a no-go due to rights issue?

Best Answer

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Answer ✓
    There is nothing in the EULA preventing us from setting missions outside of dates specified by the series and movies. Before, after, during, between; not a problem.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Answers

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    There is nothing in the EULA preventing us from setting missions outside of dates specified by the series and movies. Before, after, during, between; not a problem.

Thanks for the reply, since I'm not a lawyer myself the wording conserning "properties" in the EULA was a bit vague and I wasn't sure if they meant that those were ST properties you could use or if they were a limit where you could set your missions. The reason I asked was that I was working on mission that was set in later parts of the Earth-Romulan war while war itself was in the backround that was the timeframe and did affect the plot in several ways as kind of a backstory for my SF engineering character (she's not old enough have lived then but it would be part of the history of her species) and started wondering if I could publish it or was all that work for nothing.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    There is no limit on when we can set our missions (just like there isn't a limit on when Cryptic can set their missions. Most of STO takes place well after Nemesis.) You might be concerned about 2160 but I've done missions set over 4 million years in the future without incident (one is even getting spotlighted). It's a-okay. :)

What the "properties" part means is that you can't use other Intellectual Properties for Foundry missions; ex. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Farscape, Dune, Mass Effect, Red Dwarf, Lord of the Rings, Halo, ect. You've got to keep to the canon Star Trek universe (which runs contiguously through all time), STO, and stuff you create yourself. The exceptions to the Trek universe are specific events/characters/places/factions that originate from the extended Trek universe (books, comics, other video games, the animated series) and also actor likenesses since other entities (studios, publishers, authors, actors, ect.) own the rights to these.

BTW, while I think the Romulan War was covered in some of the ENT books, so long as you made your own version of it (characters, major battles, ect.) you're perfectly fine. The general premise was established by TOS and details from ENT seasons 1 through 4 are part of canon too.

Anyway, Cryptic can't touch that outside material without its rights. So, neither can we since our work is covered by Cryptic's license. They can do Trek stuff and so can we, but (for clarity's sake) don't take guest spots as free license to copy actors for Foundry characters. That's still a no-no.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    There is no limit on when we can set our missions (just like there isn't a limit on when Cryptic can set their missions. Most of STO takes place well after Nemesis.) You might be concerned about 2160 but I've done missions set over 4 million years in the future without incident (one is even getting spotlighted). It's a-okay. :)

What the "properties" part means is that you can't use other Intellectual Properties for Foundry missions; ex. Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Farscape, Dune, Mass Effect, Red Dwarf, Lord of the Rings, Halo, ect. You've got to keep to the canon Star Trek universe (which runs contiguously through all time), STO, and stuff you create yourself. The exceptions to the Trek universe are specific events/characters/places/factions that originate from the extended Trek universe (books, comics, other video games, the animated series) and also actor likenesses since other entities (studios, publishers, authors, actors, ect.) own the rights to these.

BTW, while I think the Romulan War was covered in some of the ENT books, so long as you made your own version of it (characters, major battles, ect.) you're perfectly fine. The general premise was established by TOS and details from ENT seasons 1 through 4 are part of canon too.

Anyway, Cryptic can't touch that outside material without its rights. So, neither can we since our work is covered by Cryptic's license. They can do Trek stuff and so can we, but (for clarity's sake) don't take guest spots as free license to copy actors for Foundry characters. That's still a no-no.

yeah as I mentioned the Earth-Romulan war is really just in the backround basically to explain why the RSE is pulling out of the system, those ships and reman shocktroopers are needed elsewhere. also the NX-01 only makes a short cameo without talking to the player so all characters present are my own inventions even if they wear the NX-01 jumpsuits (yes there's humans present and yes I got an explanation planned as to why they won't be able to tell Earth what romulans look like).

the rights of actor's likeness or the trek EU were simple to figure out it's just part I asked about where I was having issues with.