test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Did You Think: Survivor

Comments

• tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    It would have been nice if my temporal agent got a special notice, other then that the time-line is secure. Why have a pop-up? If that all we are ever going to have? Other then that nice mission.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    they could have us go to Karla 5's universe. :D Look at the viewscreen, that's a map of the galaxy!
    latest?cb=20061122044956&path-prefix=en
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • russkulykrusskulyk Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    The latest batch of missions have been truly great.
    There was a repetitive aspect to many of the older story missions where you would start with a space fight, beam to a planet for a ground fight, then back to space for a finale space fight before it is over. Space, ground, space, done.
    These new missions are stories. They have us exploring and wondering what is going to happen. They are like a good episode of a Star Trek tv show. I feel like I am an explorer, not just a warship.
    I have really enjoyed the recent episodes, and Survivor was not only a mystery, but it also tied up loose ends in story, and the final scene has had tons of players talking in speculation about who entered to talk to Sela at the end, and what that could mean for future episodes.
    Well done!
  • devvickdevvick Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    i really liked it. The mission is very much Star Trek!
    It was interesting to see how Sela changed herself about the messages from her mom.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Is the stats on the armor bugged? the energy/kinetic/physical numbers are abysmally low compared to other armors of the same rank.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,279 Arc User
    they're probably low because of all the extra s.hit the armor gives...but that doesn't counterbalance that s.hit - it just makes the armor flat-out useless

and so is the gun - it doesn't even have a third the DPS of a typical compression pistol, which is, i assume, what the thing was based off​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    I didn't really like the mini-games. I have a pretty low tolerance for switch flipping puzzles and walking on a moving path is just annoying.

The story itself was okay, I guess ( am really sick of Sela/Yar/Denise Crosby), but I don't understand why that T'Nae was suddenly causing these temporal bubble things, when she should have been causing them since she re-entered this universe 50 years ago
  • chelly#7549 chelly Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I would say because Temporal ambassador happened a year before, so it was a new thing that happened. And they were so busy with the time war a little thing like a planet having fits was not on the radar.

Or it is just a big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff
    discojer wrote: »
    I didn't really like the mini-games. I have a pretty low tolerance for switch flipping puzzles and walking on a moving path is just annoying.

The story itself was okay, I guess ( am really sick of Sela/Yar/Denise Crosby), but I don't understand why that T'Nae was suddenly causing these temporal bubble things, when she should have been causing them since she re-entered this universe 50 years ago
    Apparently the problem has been getting progressively worse over time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    I appreciate the 'flavor' but I don't remember Sela being so whiney. I'm not sure I understood why she would attack a fellow Romulan (me) either, but since I'm defacto Fed by virtue of being sided with KDF I can see it. Of course only the timelords know why Tasha was left on the planet to battle the Tholian time abuses, maybe they've already slipped back into the past to correct some of reasons why they didn't go back sooner.

I so hate the very idea of time travel.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Um...why would I (as a Klingon, Nausicaan, Lethean or orion KDF officer, or Klingon aligned Romulan)

[...]

Then again, I've had some problems resolving why a KDF officer would work diligently to promote a future where the Empire is under foreign control. Coming to Daniels' dog-whistle doesn't make sense. but we keep doing it.

I know that these parts are in no direct relation, but at least Nausicaan, Lethean, Orion, (Gorn, Ferasan - you missed them) and Roms are already "under foreign control" - why would they mind that much?
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I appreciate the 'flavor' but I don't remember Sela being so whiney. I'm not sure I understood why she would attack a fellow Romulan (me) either,
    I think you have missed an ENORMOUS chunk of the Romulan Republic missions, as well as missions from later arcs... and pretty much the entire point of the Republic's existence.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Um...why would I (as a Klingon, Nausicaan, Lethean or orion KDF officer, or Klingon aligned Romulan)

[...]

Then again, I've had some problems resolving why a KDF officer would work diligently to promote a future where the Empire is under foreign control. Coming to Daniels' dog-whistle doesn't make sense. but we keep doing it.
    I know that these parts are in no direct relation, but at least Nausicaan, Lethean, Orion, (Gorn, Ferasan - you missed them) and Roms are already "under foreign control" - why would they mind that much?
    Yeah, Also, the Orions and Gorn would probably prefer to be part of the Federation anyways. :p The Gorn were allied with the feds before they were subjugated, and the Orions applied for membership in TOS.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Voice acting was nice but the mission itself was kind of a drag. More timey wimey with little wibbly wobbly. Also the ground set as far as rewards go seemed boring to me. So really I'm only playing through once on each character as I get to it. I'd have rather had a Romulan space set based on plasma like the Echos of Light disruptor set as a reward. That'd been fun to play with on my Romulan.

Over all the whole thing was boring and unrewarding especially the mini game of closing down temporal thingies. Just shoot me with a phaser on stun at point blank please.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    no, just a ground set. So each char has a max of 3 runs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Unless you happen to love tha ground set and want it on every boff ;)

But I'd wish that set items per episode were restricted to a maximum of 2 - or the 30 min mission cooldown on replaying would go. If I started a new toon and want the whole set from a mission, I would have all those waiting times interspersed with my gameplay. (Generally talking about sets). Also, even the best mission gets a tad repetitive. (Yes, I indeed did the last episode 5 times on each of my 18 toons...)
    I must have missed that episode. From what I recall, the Orions tried to scuttle the Babel conference, not join the Federation, and were so determined that their agents were willing to die rather than talk. Later appearances were in TAS, and they were aggressively opposed to the Federation there as well.
    Not exactly. In TOS the Orion government was at least pretending to be friendly to the UFP. The reason their agents were so eager to kill themselves was to prevent the Federation from finding out that the Orion government had been using piracy to steal from their allies in the UFP.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    The Klingons invaded, beat them, executed the Undine agents publicly after unmasking them, and gave them their country back while the Federation's response was that these hostile aliens were peaceful observers (official line, from Path to 2409.)

Upshot is, that the Gorn Hegemony is a protectorate with it's own armed forces, government, etc. intact under the Empire. The Federation did nothing, either to aid the Gorn, or to remove the infiltration, and unlike Cardassians, Gorn can serve in Gorn Service on Gorn ships under Gorn command without having to pretend to be glorified police, in addition to KDF service as an option, and while the king doesn't have a vote, his voice is heard in council-which was provably not the case when the Gorn were up against the Klingons themselves.

Generally speaking, then, there's a problem with your idea-because the Federation demonstrated itself to be neither a wise, nor willing ally. In fact it took a ten year conflict for the federation's government to admit anything at all, when you contrast with the eight months of the Klingon/Cardassian/Federation conflict, which resulted in the Klingons giving back their gains and admitting fault promptly upon getting evidence of having been duped, while the Federation continued to deny the situation and threat even in the face of massive evidence, I don't think the Gorn, being a long-lived species, would be particularly keen to put their future into those sort of hands.

The term "giving the country back" is somewhat loaded. But using your own way of viewing it (more on that later): I doubt that British or Canadians would love to be a "protectorate" of the US either. And while you are certainly right that the Gorn might view the Klingon Empire as stronger than the UFP, they just as well may not. Either way, they're not free, so changing one overlord for the other does not change that thing, which you mentioned as an argument. Though agreed, you didn't mention the Gorn.
    Ask a Canadian, as in any canadian but especially a stranger, how hard they would work to have Canada annexed to the United States. Ask any Englishman how they might feel about becoming a 51st state. it is doubtful that the response would be particularly positive.

There are actually voices for both of this - but that is such a small minority that we can ignore it. But I wouldn't liken the UFP to the USA that much, more to the EU (European Union). Which is controversial in itself, and yes, the British just voted to get out, and many others would like to, too. Then again, the Scottish would like to stay in and are contemplating (again) to leave the UK, so maybe if the Klingons wouldn't have gone (well, will have gone... it's in the future. Temporal meddling doesn't only make for some awful storylines, but for some awful grammar as well) UFP, maybe the Gorn or others would have decided on their own? We don't know.

Why I think though the EU is a better example: while the US states do have more independence from Washington than most sub national entities in other countries have, there is still a very strong centralized government. The EU doesn't have that. While the EU has a common foreign policy, members still have their own. And military. And the UFP is more like the EU in that it is still composed of quite a few very independent entities, which have different levels of integrating. Vulcans, humans, tellarites, andorians are the "core EU" with Schengen, Euro and all, others, like the ferengi, are less integrated. I think the Klingons would fall squarely in that section.

But the main thing is: like it or not, Star Trek is based on an ideal of Gene Roddenberry that in the future everybody will work together sooner or later. On a scale UN-EU-US-UK-France (from looser cooperation to a more centralized government) is up for debate, but the general overarching theme of "coming together" is strong in this one. As such, reservations against this, as we see on our planet, will be overcome in this fictional world and don't count as an argument against this. Neither would analogies from other fictional universes be. We can argue all we like about how realistic this would be and get many differing opinions (just like we do about the EU - many are strongly in favor, many are strongly opposed). But in this fictional universe, the Klingons will see the advantages of working together within the Federation and join.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,110 Arc User
    markhawkman wrote: »

Yeah, Also, the Orions and Gorn would probably prefer to be part of the Federation anyways. :p The Gorn were allied with the feds before they were subjugated, and the Orions applied for membership in TOS.

FYI - The Gorn's one appearance in TOS was the episode "Arena', The Gorn destroyed a Federation Outpost (and continued after it tried to surrender); and Kirk and Co. tried to chase down the ship and destroy it as a warning such actions wouldn't be tolerated. During the chase both ships unknowingly entered Metron space; and the Metrons stopped both ships in space and had Kirk and the Gorn Captain fight it out on a barren planet with the winner going their way unharmed. Kirk of course won, but decided not to kill the Gorn because he saw that they could have seen the Federation Outpost as an invasion of Gorn space; and suggested that diplomacy might work to resolve things.
    ^^^
    There was some fan fiction that suggested the Gorn Hegemony allied with the Federation, but that was never established in on screen canon in any of the later series.

As for the Orions, they were always considered pirates, and never applied for membership or joined the Federation. I think you're confusing elements of the TOS episode "Journey to Babel" - where the planet Coridin is petitioning for membership; and the Enterprise is taking a group of Federation delegates to the planetoid 'Babel' to discuss/decide the matter; and during the trip an Orion spy (who is wanting to start a war over this issue) and an Orion ship attack the Enterprise; (and of course our heroes foil the plot and 'win' again.)

But, no, the Orions never petitioned for membership or joined the Federation.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    My favorite part was playing the mission on an old computer with the lowest graphical settings. Each "Temporal Eddy" was rendered as a human figure at a distance. A bunch of dudes all named Eddy strolling around in a time distortion = win!

The story was nice, thanks.
    edited April 2017
    lordmalak1 wrote: »
    I appreciate the 'flavor' but I don't remember Sela being so whiney. I'm not sure I understood why she would attack a fellow Romulan (me) either,
    I think you have missed an ENORMOUS chunk of the Romulan Republic missions, as well as missions from later arcs... and pretty much the entire point of the Republic's existence.

Thats possible- I didn't think about that since I only played the episodes up until the point I had to choose a side ( was grinding to get levelled up to get the free C-store Ar'Kif which they didn't award me anyhow since lvl 50 is needed to claim it tho a lvl 40 can pay cash and use it), then shortly afterwards they wiped the skill tree so I abandoned the entire game.

Funny how a completely unskilled Captain toon is still somewhat usable in all the PvE ques. :D I can't spec yet until I see how badly they nerf the gear in a couple weeks.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

• foolishowlfoolishowl Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    > @mustrumridcully0 said:
    > One thing I didn't like about this mission was T'Naes attack and our attempt to subdue her. It just feels ridicilous to have your BOs open fire, launch micro-torps or cause exothermic inductions on her, and then have her run away. It was already ridicilous with that Neural Paraysite Vaadwaur, but this doesn't even have that justification.
    >
    > It would have been better if you kept that "fight" to a cut scene. If you want to give us a fight, send in some Tholians...

Totally agree. This was the worst thing about the mission. There's plenty of fighting already in the mission, and you end up talking T'Nae down anyway.

One of the more famous bits of Star Trek tech is the stun setting on hand phasers. Any of the series, they'd have tried talking first, maybe sent in an empath, maybe used a hypospray loaded with a tranquilizer or a Vulcan nerve-pinch, or, in extremis, a phaser set on stun -- which would have taken one shot.

I mean, I know, gameplay pacing and all, but it's like you all forget that we're using super high tech weapons that disintegrate a target in one hit (unless they're on stun). And here I'm calling in orbital bombardment and firing mortars at an unarmored target, and she gets cuts and bruises. It's ridiculous.

Why have this fight at all? She's not Godzilla -- she's just a confused and frightened person. And have you completely forgotten what Star Trek is about?

(And by the way, yeah, the Vaadwaur thing was bad too -- canonically, the neural parasites were just forcing a spike in adrenaline levels, not making people superhumanly resistant to high-energy particle weapons.)
    LOL, you called in an orbital strike one a single confused survivor ?
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif