test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[STOPC] The Competitive Wargames Reputation

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    the combat log has no idea what you got hit with because it was bugged to only register shield damage, but it was 'supposedly' fixed yesterday​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Bit late to party, been bed ridden the past week with a virus, but PvP rep, thanks for the effort, but this will very likely be the 1st rep i won't participate in as i have - infinity interest in PvP.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    FORCED PVP! Welcome to the end days of STO. RIP Star Trek Online.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between PvP and PvE. There are tricks and strategies to both, but if you insist on turning up to Ker'rat with a PvE build and sit still, you will get taken out very quickly.

Now they throw a bone to resuscitate the so dead PvP and you are saying it is not fair to side with the elites? ..... There is no reason to flame what once was the PvP community since there is none left. :D

So by elites you mean the PVP community that you later say left. Love that contradiction guy.
  • mattachinemattachine Member Posts: 504 Arc User
    I'm for more incentive to PvP and this version of it when it is competitive and not shoot to kill sounds like fun.

BUT, and this is my opinion, those armored suits looks like they belong in Champions Online and not Star Trek. Unless I've missed that Ironman is part of the Star Trek IP. They really need some graphic work to make them look & feel more as part of Star Trek then a Superhero game.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Mattachine does have a solid point. The visuals are pretty super-hero style. Which doesn't quite resemble what we'd expect from the Star Trek Universe.

The whole thing is a good idea of switching the whole meta and mixing most of the claimed issues (pvp being dead, pve not being competitive, players being bored, getting alphastriked being so bad, being killed with fbp being so bad, needing for an all-around setup idea and more variety to builds and gameplay styles).

Overall, they did "on paper" a good thing by including and solving most of these issues.

There is a concern to be raised
    -In order to keep the new content tempting and other options viable, adjustments via nerfing some will not be as good as new content or buff/tweaking the content (including NPC's, both numerical data and AI).

• echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    PvP rep? Nope, nope, nope. I'd rather lick a toilet bowl than to PvP. This is my friend's opinion and I second it.

I'll get my marks for this by Birding, Eppohing or RAs (if RAs will have the marks).

That's IF I decide to fill this rep up.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    sigh
    They're giving us a reason to PvP after years of telling us there's no reason to PvP ?
    After a few years of PvP and giving up on STO, I'm not sure I wanna try again.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    Don't forget to send us pictures of you licking a toilet bowl.
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    PvPTSD thats awesome!

What did it for me is suddenly being blasted from behind always by a Klingon bird-of-prey always in my aft arc.

After years of Worf telling me how honorable it is to be a Klingon the only Klingons I find in STO are sneaking around invisible and then jumping me from behind.

Sneaky implausible Sci magic powers. When they summon Tyken's Rift is it really the Tyken's Rift how can we have more than one?

If you can summon a gravity well why would you need warp drive?

I realize sto is a WOW clone, but Mages really?

That's my reasons, but I'll give it a try anyway, give them a chance to drive me away from it.

Also PvP requires no programming so it lets them off the hook and I actually paid for this game.
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    It should be an option for those who want to do it, and not a mandatory thing that everyone MUST do. You will only bring in those who are no good & make a mess of things, or those who would be happy ruining it for any (or no) reason.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    What gave you guys PvPTSD?
    Pretend that computers are controlling the pixels instead of other people and isn't it just the same?
    I haven't been able to wrap my head around why people get so upset and distraught over it.

I thought I had been fairly clear with my explanations, but apparently I have to do so again.
    If it doesn't make sense, read it again until it does.

1. A player obsessed with doing PvP isn't going to be polite about it. They'll feel the need to make insulting comments, especially if they just defeated you.
    And they might even include some comments about how inferior Starfleet is to the mighty Klingons.
    In some cases, that attitude even gets taken to the social zone, a Klingon player will go to an area that is highly Starfleet populated, stand on a table and start soapboxing.
    I've seen all of that happen.

2. Fighting NPCs is not the same level of difficulty as fighting players. A serious PvPer has researched the best OneShot build that exists and is well versed in using it, to the point where they are either very hard or impossible to defeat by a non-PvPer or a casual player.
    There is no fun in just getting one-shotted, respawning and one-shotted again.
    Additionally, a NPC will just go for your ship directly, they won't use their battle cloak, buff up their DPS to InstaDeath, decloak and hit you from behind.

3. PvP obsessed players feel the need to insist PvE players stop playing the game so that they can have PvP matches all the time.
    If you don't immediately go to the PvP match, expect the aggression to start immediately.

4. Competitive Gameplay will naturally draw those with a tendency for aggressive confrontation and superiority complexes to participate.
    It isn't a pleasant experience being in a match with someone so driven to win they will even harass their own teammates if the competition is lost.

5. This update seems to be predesigned to get non-PvP players to become PvP players.
    First we get them playing CPvE, then hopefully they'll get a taste for defeating other players and migrate to direct PvP.

Granted, it could just be that all I've seen is the worst behavior exhibited in PvP.
    But the fact remains it's an area of any game that can cause excessive confrontation and that's why I will never PvP under any circumstances.

If I choose to do the CPvE queues to earn the Reputation tailor options/railgun pistol, I'll only be putting in a token effort, just enough to get to the end of the match so I can have my daily marks and the Assessed Stratagem token.
    And if someone gives me attitude because I didn't help the team win/compete, remember that I am doing something I don't want to under protest, because there is no other way to obtain the marks and the Assessed Stratagem.
    Take it too far and there's a spot on my ingore list ready for the winning obsessed player.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited April 2017
    > @nickodaemus said:
    > It should be an option for those who want to do it, and not a mandatory thing that everyone MUST do. You will only bring in those who are no good & make a mess of things, or those who would be happy ruining it for any (or no) reason.

You have to understand for it to be successful the PVP crowd will need other people to play against that's why STO has to force people to do it because without other people having to do it the PVP crowd would only be able to play against themselves, which you would think would be more fun because it's more challenging, but it's not as easy.

It's the old Ker'rat on a stick approach ;p
    Can we get Henry Winkler in to do the voice-over announcement for the competitions and maybe pet sharks?
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    echatty wrote: »
    PvP rep? Nope, nope, nope. I'd rather lick a toilet bowl than to PvP. This is my friend's opinion and I second it.

I'll get my marks for this by Birding, Eppohing or RAs (if RAs will have the marks).

That's IF I decide to fill this rep up.

What gave you guys PvPTSD? A lot of people are displaying signs of it but nobody's told their story

Ker'rat, wandering in and not realizing what it is, or trying to complete the PvE objectives for a change of pace. A ball of folks having a go at each other forms on one part of the map, you go over to the other side, and run into a cloaked 3-on-1. Then, that gank turns into 5 or more once they send out a call on voice comms, you respawn and try to get out of the way of the combatants only to have this repeat itself. You leave after 5 min, not having shot at the people attacking you or healed your faction to draw ire. Some permutation on this perhaps, but Ker'rat probably accounts disproportionately for PvPTSD.

Like, why can't you just do the queue and get your marks? Pretend that computers are controlling the pixels instead of other people and isnt it just the same?

Its 10-15 minutes of stuff happening and then you get your marks, I haven't been able to wrap my head around why people get so upset and distraught over it.

Worst memory for me personally was getting 5 people from the fleet to try it out right around the time PvP bootcamp was chugging along. Cajoling enough fleetmates was hard enough, only to enter the match and see handles/titles indicating a 5-person premade of "coaches". After 15-0, I have not yet been able to get 5 people together again.

On the other hand, one of my favorite memories is also PvP, which is why I'll be willing to do the new queues at least enough to complete the rep. Pre-DR, I'd just set up keybinds to do assists and target-calling, and tested it out in a random queue playing a healer Bastion. Team initially scattered and got into a bunch of duels or chases that led to a 7-0 deficit. I identified and stuck to the 2 best on the team, topping up the others as I could and calling attention to whomever was the attacker when I noticed somebody's health really dropping off. After more than an hour, the final tally was a 15-9 win to my team.

Something like that may not be possible today, but the fact that both of those are still vivid years later shows that they had some emotional heft beyond the average ISA.

Second bolded statement, refer to the first. People get upset because it is fundamentally different when there's another person on the other end, who can be prone to taunting/toying around/etc. If all the matches were reasonably close, people felt like they could contribute to the team, and felt like they lost to a worthy opponent then PvP would be more popular.

That, and when you're the weak link or thought of as such, it's not just a personal failure, you're disappointing to other people. You don't get annoyed at a force of nature or a borg invisitorp, but there is more emotional investment when there are humans involved. Theoretically, you could just ignore that there are other people there, but that's not how we're wired.

That's the gist of it, but I have a feeling that you understand people's reasoning Druk, and are just being facetious or pretending you don't get it.
    Post edited by tobiashirt on
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    valoreah wrote: »
    I'll give it a go. I freely admit I'll stink at it, but I'll still play it. Competition and PvP can be fun.

Exactly...nothing in the PvE realm matches the feeling of out-fighting another real person. Nothing also matches the feeling of losing. Higher highs and lower lows.
    Post edited by tobiashirt on
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    To be honest, I don't think you've actually witnessed the behaviours you describe so much as you're repeating what you've heard from other sources over the years.

Unfortunately, you are mistaken, point 3 on my list is the only one I did not witness personally.
    But I was familiar with the person who screamed abuse at their team for losing, since I personally witnessed their obsession with PvP on many occasions via Zone Chat, so when the info was passed to me, I wasn't surprised at all to learn of the incident.

I should point out that my history with PvP isn't all in STO, most of it was in Tabula Rasa, Guild Wars and Champions Online.
    Those games are why I came to STO with the firm opinion PvP was never going to be an activity I was willing to participate in, because of prior experience with how badly it could/did go.

If I want the Reputation visuals unlocked in tailor, I will have to play the maps, since the Assessed Stratagem tokens can only be acquired from a CPvE queue.
    So not entirely sure it is optional, unless you don't work on the connected Reputation at all!

I prefer not to minimize my chat window, because there could be messages to read from my ingame friends at any time.
    Also, if there is a player acting like a spoiled malcontent, I want to see it happen so I know who not to deal with in the future.
    And if it gets too bad, I know they need to be added to my ingore list.
    The very worst cases will end up being reported and the screenshots I make will end up in that report as well, which also requires the chat box to be open.

@repetitiveepic
    Reading each of your posts so far, you keep saying that we should do a PvP match to earn our daily Reputation advancement items.
    It's like you are genuinely not aware of the fact we can do a CPvE match instead, to avoid all the drama that may result from tempers running high during a PvP match.
    Even Cryptic wasn't confident enough to make it manditory to do PvP to advance the Reputation, that says to me they were smart enough to realise that only giving a PvP option for this Reputation would result in massive player negative feedback.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I've seen people ragequit and/or scream insults at other players in PvE, too. There is an easy way to deal with it - realize they are asshats or trolls and move on.

(Best is when someone quites because a queue isn't moving fast enough for his taste and we're going to lose some optional, and then he leaves, and the queue gets done without him, with no apparent loss in queue resolution speed after his leave.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.