test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread for Core Assault

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Please use this thread to post feedback and issues found for the new queue Core Assault.

New Feature:
  • War Game Scenario - Core Assault:
  • This is a new style of queue where players train against the environment and themselves in a in a cross faction 5v5 space War Game Scenario.
  • Captains will race starships and complete challenges through a station in the Adelphous System .
  • For Tribble only, this queue will have no cooldown.
  • This is still a work in progress.
  • For more details, please visit the Core Assault blog at: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10457082-war-games-scenario:-core-assault

Comments

• Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    IDK,

Like the 45 secs at the start to read how to play it not long enough.

The key part alone is every confusing, like what am I suppose to do, only hit the blue ones? or do we all take the key to the door at once and hit?

Like really needs a better read out on how to play.

p.s. I would never ever ever ever pug that map

Edit: Did the map, I agian the key part was bugged the 1st time. The data core pattern at the door never showed the pattern
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps
    edited April 2017
    So, only fully done one so far, but this map has a few issues right now.

First and foremost, allowing only one member of a team to interact with the objective at a time in many of these portions opens up the map to massive trolling potential. One person on a team can completely block your team from going anywhere. I think having the door to the next area automatically open say, 30-60s after the enemy team has opened theirs, or automatically after 5 minutes, would help there.

Second, teams can queue for this. If you want these matches to be "balanced" for the matchmaking system, then need to have it work like the solo-duo PvP queue. Otherwise, full pre-mades are going to go in, wreck people hard, and people will never queue for this again. Retracting this as I won't run this without a team that knows how to do it. After having run it with quite a few people over on Tribble, I can't see myself or a quite a few others running this without being in a pre-made coordinating team. Getting people to follow the objectives can be pretty difficult, and trying to do that with Holodeck pugs is going to be a nightmare.

Third, will need more testing, but some of the areas feel a bit long. On the initial play-through they started to feel a bit repetitive to me, but I'll largely blame the first point for that. But letting multiple people interact with the objectives would be very good so that we don't get trolled or get locked in because someone doesn't know they interacted with the stuff.

For Relay Charge:
    • We have no way to see what our lockout is to carry another.
    • Also, might help a bit if the person who has the charge has some huge icon over them, like what we see in places like Tzenkethi Front when carrying the bombs. Some people are not seeing that they have a bunch of green sparks around their ship with all of the other vfx spam.

Combination Lock:
    • Maybe just 2 sets of combos to do instead of 3?

Fourth, there should be a safe spawn zone. As it is, it respawns people out in the open, ripe for spawncamping.

Finally, this is one queue where I feel there shouldn't be 3 difficulties. Fighting the NPCs isn't really the big goal here, those challenges are. With 3 difficulties, it's just going to keep 1-2 versions of this completely dead. Need to focus everyone into one version of this, then let the matchmaker system balance people out after it's gathered enough data.

Post edited by spencerb96 on
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • Options
    orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Loved the map, though it's bugged in places.

In one playthrough one section had both the "combination lock" icons AND "Tractor Pull" door keys. The team got confused and instead of tractoring the door keys, they went off trying to do the "Combination Lock" mission (I don't know why, since it wasn't shown in the mission tracker).

Edit: In another playthrough we had the combination lock icons appear in the defeat the swarm segment. Looks like they were meant of a section further down the line and for some reason spawned in an earlier one.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    I fear this queue will be dead on arrival. As has been mentioned, this map offers a huge trolling potential. If 4 players are working together and one does not, you're screwed. Doing it in PUGs will be nearly impossible as well.
  • Options
    Another "bug" discovered when doing a "Tractor Pull" section is that the turrets and ships from the next section were firing through the door at us.
    Previously Alendiak
  • Options
    There needs to be some sort of immunity or safe zone for players who respawn at the core room.
    Previously Alendiak
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    spencerb96 wrote: »
    Second, teams can queue for this. If you want these matches to be "balanced" for the matchmaking system, then need to have it work like the solo-duo PvP queue. Otherwise, full pre-mades are going to go in, wreck people hard, and people will never queue for this again.

I know I would never queue up for it if the map didn't allow me to play it with my friends. Your own post says the map has massive trolling potential, why should I ever full-pug it?
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    The door to the next area need to automatically open say, 30-60s after the enemy team has opened theirs otherwise there is no competition as the other team can finish it while the team is still struggling to figure out what to do.

Only one person on a team can interact and if that person have no idea what to do it can completely block your team from going anywhere.

The team matching is not good is no balance for pug. Maybe you can have a buff to the player that gets killed and a penalty to the player that wins. That way after a while it will balance up.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    spencerb96spencerb96 Member Posts: 243 Media Corps

I know I would never queue up for it if the map didn't allow me to play it with my friends. Your own post says the map has massive trolling potential, why should I ever full-pug it?

Yeah, I retracted that after having done some more runs. Trying to get people in pugs to coordinate to this level is going to be a nightmare. I can't see myself running this either without being in a team with others that know the objectives and will actually do them. Had a few runs on Tribble already where we can't even get people to go sit in the box in the Jack In a Box portion.
    ffluoti63bi9.png
  • Options
    melange#3807 melange Member Posts: 28 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks!

Firstly, thank you for all the feedback.

I've already started on the reported bugs.

I will definitely look into Relay timing and visibility issues. We definitely don't want players to be stuck by their own teammates trolling them.

And I'm talking to people to see what we can do about the safe respawn zones (there were some technical things that I had to work around, and it's obvious you guys aren't happy with how that turned out).

There is a lot of new ground that we're dealing with here (at least for us), so it has definitely been an itterative process, but I'm definitely listening to you guys and will try to knock out various pain points where I can.
  • Options
    There is a afk penalty if you dont do enough dps. It is silly if you are the player trying to unlock the lock as you are trying to avoid the agro.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    For me...

To many visuals going on that I get visual lag on my computer. I have to reduce the Resolution Scale down to 0.50 just to smooth things out. Casual players who use the built-in graphics card on their computer may have trouble with this.

The combinations are too lengthy. 3 or 4 would be preferable, but 5+ is just too much to run around when no one knows what they are doing.
    szim wrote: »
    I fear this queue will be dead on arrival. As has been mentioned, this map offers a huge trolling potential. If 4 players are working together and one does not, you're screwed. Doing it in PUGs will be nearly impossible as well.

So true. All players have to stay in a box for progression, but if one player is out, progression is decreased. Would be nice if you only needed 3 in a box rather than all.

I do agree with szim that this may be dead on arrival in pug-mode. Private groups will definitely have a better chance at completing. Pug-mode = troll-mode.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    velqua wrote: »
    For me...

The combinations are too lengthy. 3 or 4 would be preferable, but 5+ is just too much to run around when no one knows what they are doing.

The lock's are not balanced. If get the combinations you probably lose.

In my opinion the fastest to slowest order to open locks
    Swarm ( tribble got lots of strong players)
    Box
    Tractor Pull
    Relay (charging is buged sometimes you cant recharge after discharge)
    Combination Lock
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    waimserwaimser Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Im just gonna past my post from reddit as it expresses my thoughts on this.

PSA. PvP queues exist in the game...

TLDR: The little arrow at the bottom corner of the minimap. It is a drop down list that has access to pvp queues.

Cryptic. If you are going to all this trouble to make PvP happen. How about,

.1. Actually telling the players, through the game, that there is such a thing as PvP queues.

.2. Making it a whole lot easier to find. At the very least, give it its own icon next to the PvE queue icon instead of hiding it away in a tiny dropdown that no one uses for anything.

So, with all the talk of the new matchmaking system for pvp queues, it occurred to me, they are talking about pvp queues as if they already exist.

As far as I can remember, the game has never told me about this. It gave me a single pop up once about the open pvp/e zone that you can enter. But it never told me about being able to queue for pvp the same way you can for pve.

So I went looking for this mythical place.

I found a setting in keybinds to open pvp queues... But the keybind seems to be bugged for me and does nothing.

So I started opening all the other windows, settings, etc to see if I could find a way to click my way to pvp. No luck there.

I eventually found it. 15 minutes or more of actively looking, with the sole purpose of finding access to the pvp queues.

That little arrow at the bottom corner of the mini map. The one the game only directs you to once, and just to get access to your bridge for that one misson. The little triangle button that as far as the game told me, had no real purpose so I never looked at it again. Thats where it is.

The most obscure place it could possibly be.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Uh, they did that a few years back, they even switched PvE to PvP in the menues. Effect on PvP population: Not perceivable.

And by the way, at around level 10 you do get told that PvP exists.

Around that time you probably think: "PvP, oh, I should try that out later when I figured out how to play this game a bit better" and then you level to 60 over a few days or weeks and have long forgotten it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    huijianhuijian Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    super fun 8/10
    3GIYBa2.jpg?1
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I have to say that while I find this queue fun (playing it with friends, obviously), it doesn't really seem to address any shortcomings current queues have. Yes, the challenges (apart the Swarm one) are somewhat different than what we currently have and do require coordination and communication, but in every occasion, the easiest way is still blowing everything up ASAP. You don't need a tank, a healer or a supporter, and single target abilities still remain a joke due to huge amount of trash-tier mobs you see there.

And about the PvP round at the end, I'm not sure why it's even there. Every time I played the queue, one team managed to blow other team's core up before others even got into the core room, so only PvP took place after mission had officially ended and we had that "you will be removed from map in X seconds" timer ticking. But I'm not complaining, as I'm not a big fan of PvP anyway.
  • Options
    snipey47asnipey47a Member Posts: 485 Media Corps
    Hi Coldsnapped,

Introducing a new facet of PVE like this would be the perfect time to upgrade the queue system so that pre-match chat is possible before entering the game itself. Much like the way a private room starts up.

All the elements are there already... I would hope it would be as easy as coding a new process flow. These types of team plays live and die based on the team interaction. Promoting this anyway you can will be critical.

Furthermore, can I suggest you have a training queue that rewards 1000-2000 unrefined dilithium set at normal difficulty and recruit capable players within the game to run it with people who wish to train and experience it. Have 1 capable player leading each team. I am sure that between the DPS Channels and Reddit Channel there will not be a shortage or players capable and willing to give their time. Maybe even reward these players with a master key for their troubles or something like that.

Have the dil payable from a mission chooseable from J screen (available tab) so that it can only be done once or twice and can't be abused.
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Can we maybe move the intro to a clicky-console you can read through at you leisure and MUST click through at least once before the scenario becomes available? Then remove that eye-gouging delay of game from the event itself. Because those SUCK in every que that has them.
  • Options
    imperialgeminiimperialgemini Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    My main question is why when there seems to be a spherical burst from the core I am fighting it can kill with one hit. I see others survive. Yet even with full shields and hull. That burst can destroy me. I have respawned and flow back only to have it do it immediately again.

There does not seem to be any warning it is about to happen. It is the most annoying part of the PvE. Seems with the NPC and PLAYERS that can attack you in the core. The whole defensive burst of the core is overkill. Especially when making it that powerful.

Now if you are just going to leave a comment that I have a bad ship or loadout. You're not helping. Good for you if you are so uber that you want to come here and use the posts to demean those who have an honest opinion about their own play experience. I am part of a building fleet and do not have access to fill my ship with all elite fleet consoles, weapons and such. Good for you if you do. But if I have Very rare Purples outfitted from reputation and mission sets and I am playing the normal level PvE I should not be made to feel like it is my fault for not having the Uber elite equipment.

So ARC Devs...this is just for you. You wanted feedback and honestly I enjoy the PvE....I just think that whole core burst one hit kill is too much and frustrating when you get to the end. It even seems to extend past 10K, so can hit me when I cannot hit it.
  • Options
    risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    It deals over 150k electrical damage, unless you're a super duper tank you won't survive it. There should be a warning like the chrystaline entity has, a charge meter maybe so ships know when to clear the area. Although I probably won't notice it tbh because I'm too busy attacking and getting attacked by players.
  • Options
    awesomeweaselawesomeweasel Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    i detest this so called PvE map as i detest PvP in this game. when you get to the cores the obective is to destroy the other teams core, but the other team tries killing you instead of doing the ojective. if i wanted to play pvp i would have went to the pvp queues not the pve queues. what they should do is set the timer to 2:30 or 3:00 once both teams are in the core so you either shot the core or fail
  • Options
    odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    i detest this so called PvE map as i detest PvP in this game. when you get to the cores the obective is to destroy the other teams core, but the other team tries killing you instead of doing the ojective. if i wanted to play pvp i would have went to the pvp queues not the pve queues. what they should do is set the timer to 2:30 or 3:00 once both teams are in the core so you either shot the core or fail

I actually like this cue. Very diverse types of ships and player skill levels.

When I get to the core I usually see 1 of 3 things happen depending on both teams mission progress.

1.) 1 team targets the other teams core..(Usually the other team hasnt completed all the objectives).

2.) Both teams Ignore the cores and go 5 v 5

3.) 1 team that came out last defends their core (slowing the other teams win) Just to make them earn the win.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.