test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

War Games Scenario: Core Assault

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The first of the War Games Scenarios has been revealed. Race with other captains to solve puzzles and blow up the central core!

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10457082

Comments

• Options
    euar0euar0 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    PVP (Team VS Team) PVE .. nice idea. . should be fun!
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    Time to fall back to my old City of Heroes tactics and reequip my mine launchers to set up my defensive screen
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    galatt wrote: »
    Time to fall back to my old City of Heroes tactics and reequip my mine launchers to set up my defensive screen

/traps FTW!
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Unless I am missing something important from the article, it sounds like both teams have to race to the center, then fight each other to defend their core while destroying the other's. This last part sounds like it'd run afoul of the issues that have bedeviled PvP to this day.

As an alternative, might I propose this change: there is one core, and one team is chosen at random to run the gauntlet and destroy it... with, say, a 15-minute time limit. After that, the course resets and the other team has their go at it. However, their time limit is the first team's completion time - in other words, if team A beat it in 10 minutes, that's the limit team B has to run in.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I foresee alot of crying about fast ships, especially ones with cloak rushing ahead and alpha striking the core before big slow cruisers can get in range.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Probably won't take part, as PvP in STO got ruined for me when Lockboxes came into the game.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well I read the blog and I noticed there is no mention of either Competitive PvE or PvP.

Clever.

However, it's clearly PvP since you must fight/defend against other players. Of course, I suppose that it may just end up becoming a race (as others have said) to see who can blow up the other core first without a single shot fired towards another player.

I'm happy that the Devs are doing something for PvP and that perhaps the PvP players will enjoy this content.

I, however, am not one of those players, so I will kindly not take part in this.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    jaredza#2872 jaredza Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    “Core Assault” is a space-based 5v5 Convergence-class War Game Scenario, in where two flights of captains will race in starships through a station in the Adelphous System.

It says race in starships, it doesn't say they are our starships? Maybe you have to do it in set ships with set weaponry, and rely on strategy and playing ability?
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I'm happy that the Devs are doing something for PvP and that perhaps the PvP players will enjoy this content.
    I, however, am not one of those players, so I will kindly not take part in this.

^^^This +1
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    It says race in starships, it doesn't say they are our starships? Maybe you have to do it in set ships with set weaponry, and rely on strategy and playing ability?
    I, among others, have opined this would provide at the least an interim solution for the woes affecting PvP (some of which are in part due to, well, money real or otherwise being a factor).
  • Options
    jaredza#2872 jaredza Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I, among others, have opined this would provide at the least an interim solution for the woes affecting PvP (some of which are in part due to, well, money real or otherwise being a factor).

They could work it into the mission too, you get told to get into a waiting starship and race off to the objective, sort of a "grab what we have and go" type of thing.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    Unless the rewards are absolutely stellar i will most likely never play this.
    No, that's too absolute. I will probably play it once to try it, will probably hate it and will probably never ever play it again.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    It'll be interesting to see what strategies get sorted out as ideal. As was mentioned a few posts up, it might be more efficient to bum rush the opposing point than spend time shooting at other players. I'm also wondering what kind of obstacles will be presented to each team...perhaps something like the countermeasures on the fake cores in Breach that require science team to cleanse and which can TRIBBLE up the entire team if people don't pay attention.

Also, will the core for your team be able to be healed? Will there be ways to defend it other than shooting at other people, like the arena turrets in Coliseum? It'd be a let down if it ended up like Breach, becoming a pure speed run, or if the speed run became a secondary concern on a new PvP map. I'll play it regardless, and hope the new ranking system sorts it out...implementation of that'll be absolutely essential anytime we have to fight other players.
  • Options
    cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    disinterested. but will play it if required for rep.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    oooooooh I can see the crying and mayhem approaching - This is going to be a PUG nightmare for those without a dedicated core of team mates with TeamSpeak.

Bring out the tissue boxes by the crate - and PvP is unbalanced as hell in this game - wow- lots and lots of butt hurt
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I really don't see how this will address the inherent issue with PvP in general, where vape builds rule all except Zombie Cruisers.

Another problem I potentially see is the faster cloakers might just set up an ambush by the opposing team's entrance to the core chamber, and vape flank the whole opposing team before they can even react, thus giving the cloaker team the spawn time of the Opposing team to hammer the core unmolested.

In theory it sounds interesting, as it is more team oriented. But in practice... honestly I foresee more of the same PvP Ganking. Casuals like myself won't stand a chance as usual. This one's probably gonna be private queued by fleets for events. PUGs are going to be an issue.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    CTF-PVP (kind of)? Well... If there is a hell of a reward, a totally must have account unlock, I *might* consider to think about doing it.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I wonder also if the first stage has to be completed by all team members before the second stage can be done. In other words, your team has to work together to get everyone across the finish line in part A before you can start on Part B. That will make for some interesting decisions as people try to figure out how to get everyone moving fast and overcome obstacles. It also means that it may be possible to send fast ship up ahead to try and set up defenses while slower boats make their way their. There is much potential here on what could be needed to complete each stage that it's interesting at least at this stage.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I really don't see how this will address the inherent issue with PvP in general, where vape builds rule all except Zombie Cruisers.

Another problem I potentially see is the faster cloakers might just set up an ambush by the opposing team's entrance to the core chamber, and vape flank the whole opposing team before they can even react, thus giving the cloaker team the spawn time of the Opposing team to hammer the core unmolested.

In theory it sounds interesting, as it is more team oriented. But in practice... honestly I foresee more of the same PvP Ganking. Casuals like myself won't stand a chance as usual. This one's probably gonna be private queued by fleets for events. PUGs are going to be an issue.

I think that with the changes (mines and targetable torpedoes no longer vulnerable to hazards) an Enhanced Battle Cloak Trico Bomber is going to be feared.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Watch how fast this becomes another dead grave yard quque. Can anyone say Power creep ruining this? Yet another fumble by Cryptic. The only way this will be remotly fun is if you were put in pre-made ships so the playing field is level. No advantage to cloaked fast ships. No advantage given to anyone or any ship by gear. Until Cryptic gets it's act together and really reforms PVP it will stay dead. And by reform I am not talking about saddling nerfs on PVE to make PVP balanced which is what is happening. Restrict PVP to premade ships period turn it into true PVP where player skill matters not the gear.
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    Oh one last thing devs and Cryptic if you want a repeat of the disaster DR was to the player base go right ahead and foist off PVP as the focus of the new season. I assure you if PVP is what this season is all about you will end up killing off more of the games player base that spends money on the game and pays your wages.
  • Options
    They could work it into the mission too, you get told to get into a waiting starship and race off to the objective, sort of a "grab what we have and go" type of thing.
    And, as noted, they do have missions like this, so such a thing is certainly within the realm of possibility here.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I imagine this sort of thing would be addressed by forcing players to use preset ships/loadouts for the duration - that'd be far easier for the devs to balance out, and have the significant effect of making resources immaterial (there's a reason 'wallet warrior' is not a complimentary term).

Things like the 'time trial' variant should still be considered, though. After all, where is it written the PvP has to be direct?
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    I'm seriously hoping that my first impression is wrong, as I had high hopes when I first heard about those wargames. I was hoping for true Competitive PvE that required wit and skill from all teammates.
    However, if it's going to be race towards a thingy, pulverize it as fast as you can, and only way to defend your own core will be via boring PvP vaping techniques, then I must say I will be disappointed.
    But I truly hope I'm currently wrong.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    So if it's a race to the middle and nuke the enemy core what's to stop a full Romulan battlecloak team zooming ahead and vaping the objective?

Unless there's some means of balancing the teams this looks like it'll be the current pvp vape-vest.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    iamynaught wrote: »

What PVP players? Most of the STO PVP players dont even remember the STO at this point, most of the PVP players abandon this ship when DR hit.

And I can bet you something, most of the PVP players that still remember the STO, wont even bother with this lame excuse of PVP (that in fact is PVE vs PVE and we all know is going to be a DPS race).

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Another queue in an already bloated and watered down list.
    Queues need some trimming and consolidation, there's too many that go unplayed in the list.
    Don't get me wrong, new content is good and all, but theres way to many queue missions.
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang