test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dreadnaught and Carrier ship question

durlumdurlum Member Posts: 2 Arc User
Hey guys, So just came back to game(long hiatus) and I see they added carriers and dreadnaughts. Purchased the 31st century 3 ship set to fiddle with and love the dreadnaught so far, but seems the lil ships die so darn fast. Is their anyway to bump up there survivability?
Additional info in case needed, I play the ship mostly with phaser beams and a few torpedoes as it feels most trekkie that way.
Thanks in advance for any info or tips.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    You can get higher advanced versions of these pets that have more hit points. In the Dilithium Store, you can find the Advanced ones, and in the Fleet Store, you can get the Elite version. (If you have access to the Elite, don't bother with the Advanced).

Season 13 will give a buff to Carrier Pets that will probably also help a lot (more hit points, and immunity to warp core breaches, for example), but that's just something you have to wait for.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The dilithium pets are still squishy as sadly the stats don't improve much at all between them and the basics.

As mentioned there is a buff to pets in the works and hopefully it covers enough bases to make fighters worth using for more than a distraction. Immunity to breach explosions is good but does almost feel like a way to sidestep some of the issues pets have.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    The science command battlecruiser trait buffs tachyon beam into a group shield heal - the wing commander trait form the Elachi box speeds up how fast they rank up, which increases their maximum hp. The Breen carrier reactive repair nanites trait lets your heals affect your carrier pets for a third of the heal value.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Couple of other things are the +max health/damage unlocks in the skill tree, as well as the 'coordination' skills at the end of the tac chain. I think you can get something like 30% max health/damage with the right investment in your skill tree.

The gold standard (although it's currently the price of a good ship on the exchange) is the ship trait 'Scramble Fighters', which heals all deployed fighters for 50% of their max health and makes them immune to all damage for 5s every time you use the fighter launch ability. When combined with one or more flight deck officer doffs that reduce the launch cooldown, you could keep this effect up essentialy constantly.
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Ah Scramble - knew I forgot at least one thing.

Coordination skills aren't bad if you do a lot of group work, generally - there's also several traits which can buff *you* with the pets out.

The biggest change is going to be when they all get 'scratch the paint' to be immune to warp core breaches.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • jaredza#2872 jaredza Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    The buff to the pets giving them Scratch the Paint should help a lot. They'll be immune to warp core breaches, which I can't wait for because seeing 9 of my 12 fighters just disappear after killing a ship is pretty sad. If I understand correctly they're going to have some resistance to torpedoes but I read the patch notes a while ago so I can't remember that part clearly. I generally see my hangar pets as a way to do some initial damage to enemies as I approach them, since they can attack from 15km so they start the party before I can get their. If they even just damage a facing shield, it means I do more damage when I hit the same enemy with a Beam Overload. Also, from a "fun" point of view, it does sort of make you feel like an admiral commanding your carrier when you deploy them, so I always send them out except where they may cause trouble for the mission.
  • glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    I second postagepaid's remarks about the differences. I only go to advanced because the price for elites is horrific.