test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] First Contact Day Celebration!

Comments

• eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    doublecha wrote: »
    1:20 for briefing, it's way too long

Agreed. Should of been shorter, but I doubt anything will get changed now as it is only a week long event. Am annoyed with the fact that on a couple of times I have had other players not even bothering looking for parts but they must still get the voucher though, this isn't fair just standing there and getting rewarded for doing nothing. If there is a similiar event in the future maybe a boot system should be implemented so if you don't compete as per mission describes you get booted from the event and are not rewarded with anything.

• nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    They could tier the rocket event competition. 5 players with last place getting 100 marks, 4th gets 120, 3rd gets 130, 2nd gets 140, & 1st gets 150. The actual # of marks can be whatever.

Let's say out of the 5 players 2 decide not to participate so they get 100 marks each. 1st place gets 150 marks. Then the other two players would get 140 & 130 for their places, or if a tie then both would get 140 marks each.

Does it make sense that the blue stabilizer functions better than the purple? Hell no but I have adapted.

I also like that those AFKers do not take away from active players in any way during this event!

This may not be the most complicated & involved event Cryptic has ushered our way, but I actually am enjoying it including that very reason. Kudos to them for the music at the end!
  • thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    At least I got to keep my backpack.

[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k176/Thlaylie/20170401_010209_zps5l5cu8fj.jpg[/IMG]

Update: It faded away while I wasn't looking :(
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • paddy#3322 paddy Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    The first few times I did the event I liked it. After I won and saw that you did not receive any extra rewards, my enthusiasm waned a bit. Then when I saw you didn't even have to move yet received the same rewards as those of us running around gathering parts pretty much killed it for me. Now I just queue up each alt and let them sit at their bench as I schedule admiralty and doff missions.

I also never heard the song at the end that some people were describing; just the usual mission sound effects etc.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    Anybody else thing that a colored backpack would make an interesting costume piece?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • captainoblivouscaptainoblivous Member Posts: 2,284 Arc User
    It's great, until you realise your efforts have absolutely zero affect on your score...
    It seems to be 100% rng based. It's immensely galling to see your efforts count for nothing when your maxed out rocket blows up on the pad, while the AFKer who put 0 effort into it gets a 250+ score.
    I need a beer.

• tygerzztygerzz Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    ahh, and yet you assume afk, why not DOFF, admiralty, craft, and explore. Have you made it to the top of the waterfall yet? I have, sadly no accolade: (
    tygerzz wrote: »
    ahh, and yet you assume afk, why not DOFF, admiralty, craft, and explore. Have you made it to the top of the waterfall yet? I have, sadly no accolade: (

Clearly I also get my R & D done as well. I've also explored the map pretty extensively and like it. I did not get to the top of the waterfall but did get my accolade for going to the top of the Kobali fountain. Would have been a nice Easter egg if something like that was in there.
    RIP (2022) : Officer Wilbert Mota, Corporal Charles Galloway, Detective Jason Rivera, Officer Fernando
    Arroyos, Officer John Painter, K9 Jedi, K9 Maya, Deputy Constable Neil Adams, Officer Jorge
    David Alvarado, Sergeant Joshua Cordell, Trooper Martin Mack, Trooper Branden Sisca,
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Sorry, but the slugs standing around not doing anything to gather parts get no more than 14 points and their rocket blows up just above the launchpad. I have NEVER seen them get 250 points.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ltminns wrote: »
    Sorry, but the slugs standing around not doing anything to gather parts get no more than 14 points and their rocket blows up just above the launchpad. I have NEVER seen them get 250 points.

I can understand the vitriol if your pug team has an afk player that is necessary to help complete the mission. But with the First Contact Day Celebration whether they're active or not has no impact on your outcome. To each his own.
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Disappointed the KDF players cannot get the Tritanium Rending Bat'leth as a reward for this. It's a very good weapon both damage wise and visually as well. I enjoy using mine and it always gets comments whenever I display it. Thought this time other KDF players would get a chance to earn it. Should have known better.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    That is disappointing that Cryptic didn't include previous First Contact Day event rewards. I am not a fan of being more exclusive than inclusive towards newer players.
    Disappointed the KDF players cannot get the Tritanium Rending Bat'leth as a reward for this. It's a very good weapon both damage wise and visually as well. I enjoy using mine and it always gets comments whenever I display it. Thought this time other KDF players would get a chance to earn it. Should have known better.

Phoenix box reward perhaps?
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    "Phoenix box reward perhaps?"

I sincerely hope so. This is my first and so far only MMO. I can understand Events like the Winter Race and the Hoverboard Race on Risa rewarding limited availability items. Because they run for so much longer. I also understand it is not practical nor possible for me or anyone else to own (excuse me...lease. Much more accurate term.) everything in the game.

However, I don't really like it very much. I started playing when there was a requirement for Encrypted Data Chips for purchasing what at the time was the best gear in the game, the Omega Sets. pwe/cryptic changed the requirements for these so everyone could earn them if they wanted to. Don't see why they can't do the same for the TRB.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    What vitriol? I mearly stated that if they do nothing they don't get 250 points, they get a max of 19 or so (correction on my part) and their rocket blows up. They DON'T 'win'.

I don't really care what they do, it doesn't affect the rest of the Team.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited April 2017
    I can figure out how to make the ship hologram work. :/

Edit: Never mind. I did not realize it was for shuttles only. :p

Phoenix Holo-emitter

A special Holo-emitter for your shuttles and fighters that will make your ship look like the Phoenix. This device has an unlimited duration, unlike those provided by the Ferengi.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    There's no cooldown meter for the event project item so you won't always know what time to do the event again in the next day when doing the event on multiple toons.
    ltminns wrote: »
    What vitriol? I mearly stated that if they do nothing they don't get 250 points, they get a max of 19 or so (correction on my part) and their rocket blows up. They DON'T 'win'.

I don't really care what they do, it doesn't affect the rest of the Team.

I assumed you were a bit annoyed when you called the non participating players 'slugs'. I too get annoyed at afk players in games when the team suffers but with this mission I agree it's all good. Regardless, whether your rocket explodes on the launch pad or leads the team, you still get the same marks. Since there's no bonus for doing better when running multiple alts through, I certainly understand not getting all hot and bothered running across the map getting parts.

I would however like to see this map again in other missions; it's pretty well done.
    Lieutenant William Lebo
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    There's no cooldown meter for the event project item so you won't always know what time to do the event again in the next day when doing the event on multiple toons.
    I've been using the daily timer in the Lukari rep to track it
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • calexistacalexista Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    I just did the event on one of my toons where I had all 3 components as purple quality and only achieves a distance of 4. Yesterday I had one that was full purple and was beat by some one with a blue engine and stabilizer by a distance of 20.

That makes me think that the distance is mostly calculated randomly and that part quality has little to do with it.
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I've been using the daily timer in the Lukari rep to track it

Same here.
  • I've played it, and the map is EXTREMELY laggy. I am on max graphics settings and have a gtx 1060. Is this an issue with the new engine or is the map not optimized or something?
    Well today one of my Characters had four Team members that just sat there. I obviously took first place in the race. All the others did not get over 19 and the four rockets blew up together right above the Launchpad.

I was injured by all the exploding debris and needed to head to my Sickbay after returning to my ship. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    So is there any benefit to getting first place at all? Or are the "afk slugs" onto something?​​
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    So is there any benefit to getting first place at all? Or are the "afk slugs" onto something?​​

No benefit whatsoever. Everyone gets the same rewards no matter how much or how little they do.

Get loaded into the map and DOff or start up Admiralty missions. Do some R&D projects. Minimize the window and surf the net. Just come back in 10 minutes to claim you reward.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Thought it was cool, and the song at the end was a fun surprise.
    Last night I had a run where one Character was going to sit it out, all four others were participating. Then about 30 or so seconds into it he began to look for parts. Didn't want to be the loner?

Definitely 19 is the max when you do nothing. Any saying they get 250 is either not being truthful or is color-challanged and can't make out the icons.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Fun event, thank you! It will be even more fun (as in, feeling like our efforts have some sort of effect) if you can fix these issues:
    1. You can just wait for the Adjust phase and spam F (interact) until you have all purple parts. No need to move your toon or play the waveform minigame.
    2. "Grab extra parts" doesn't do anything.
    3. Equal rewards for all players, including AFK'ers.
  • johnnyray14#4257 johnnyray14 Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    Like most things in STO, great idea but poor execution. I encountered a ridiculous number of bugs in a run where I was the only non-AFK player:
    • Got stuck on a parts pile and died when a forest fire spawned there. (At least this one was funny!)
    • Kept on seeing random messages about "a reenactor wants to give away an extra part" and "a very large cache has been found" when I know from being the only active player that none of those things were actually happening.
    • Couldn't make any adjustments in the Adjustments round (button didn't appear)
    • Made a rocket with all Rare parts but still got last place against four competitors who were totally AFK and gathered no parts. Their rockets flew 19m or 10m compared to my 4m, lol.

No wonder everyone is just going AFK for this event now. Sheesh.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    paddy#3322 wrote: »
    tygerzz wrote: »

Clearly I also get my R & D done as well. I've also explored the map pretty extensively and like it. I did not get to the top of the waterfall but did get my accolade for going to the top of the Kobali fountain. Would have been a nice Easter egg if something like that was in there.
    Well, as far as I can tell the only way to get to the top is to squeeze through a glitch gap in terrain, so yeah, you're not supposed to be up there, thus they're not gonna give an accolade.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg