test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cochran Event - overall positive, but broken

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well look at the Reward items for the Project before you slot it. One says 'First Contact Day Project Unlock' or some variation. After you slot the Project the word 'Unlock' disappears.

You would not need an Unlock if they were also giving out those other Rewards to you because it is listed that you will get them. The Unlock may very well be for other Characters on your Account. Absent a response to the numerous clarifications requested from the CM in the GNN Thread, the prudent course would be to run it on all Characters you wish the Rewards for.

Hopefully, we may get an answer soon.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    So... how is it I can build a rocket with all purple parts, and lose to two rockets that have 2 purples and a blue part? Like if the winner is just gonna be random why bother with the part qualities at all?
    As far as I can tell, better parts means a better chance of winning. But the distance part doesn't really matter.

I once had a purple/blue/blue rocket that went a distance of 4..... yes, that's right, 4.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    The random events seem to matter too. Your rocket can suddenly catch fire while you're building it. If you ignore it. It will automatically blow up during the test.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Was fun the first few times, wasnt fun the last few (Alts). Also my AOY alt still had junk in the inventory after the event and beam out.
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    [Reaction to a post breaking forum rules removed]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • Options
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Was fun the first few times, wasnt fun the last few (Alts). Also my AOY alt still had junk in the inventory after the event and beam out.
    Junk in inventory? My stuff never seemed to go to inventory.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    I must say, these short 4 times and done events are a great improvement over the 14 day ones.
    Improvment? For 14 days you get 50000 dilithium and 750 marks per toon. I don't see that I will get 4/14 of that amount for 4 days. I see that I will get some junk and a space trait. If it was account unlock then I could accept this.

You also get a spec point (according to the rewards listed in the rep project itself), wonderful for alts.

In my own case, all that you list for the 14 days events aren't enough to cause me to run them on alts. Too long, too boring. So they are worth zero to me. However I can run the 4 day events on all them.

So yes, much better.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    A simple solution would be to require players collect a complete rocket to get rewards. It's not hard in the time limit provided but at least requires a minute or two of activity to accomplish. You could also scale rewards to relative rocket quality - everyone gets the hologram, but marks could be done in a 25/35/45/55 manner for launched, third, second, first. They'd need to make the rng nature of some of it more clear and easier to control, though. Still, other than that, this could easily be done in a way that necessitates participation without making it difficult or punishing.

Magic carpet ride/10, good event.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    So...has any dev stated if its a per character grind or account unlock once the project is done yet?

Considering I'm losing a large chunk of my personal playtime to fix the railgun (healcannon, more like), I'm hoping its account unlock
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    /Edited

wrg thread

Post edited by stark2k on
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    What actually determines the rocket flight height. I had a blue engine, purple hull and purple stabilizer. My rocket flew a total of 19 feet. I barely flew higher than the afker. I like the spider attacks and the parts on fire, but if my rocket only flew 19 feet off of the ground and blew up then everyone on the launch pad should be a fried pile of goo. :)

My take on it is that there is a lot of dice rolling involved, but purple just gives you better odds. As far as I can see, the "better" rockets generally seem to do better, but I also saw a P/P/B rocket explode on start and a "lesser" rocket win.

Also it seems to me that there is an order of importance H>S>E for winning, but the sample size I got is way too small to really tell.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Never seen a score from any participant above around 280. No one that I have seen fills the line with blue completely.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    wisecasperwisecasper Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    It's really not even difficult. Run to a pile of junk and mash the 'F' key until you have searched it all it will allow, move to the next area and repeat. Then once you have one of everything stock up on spares. Then go back to the bench to realign all the parts, 5 or 6 by playing the minigame properly or about 20 once you realise the minigame has no effect whatsoever and mash the 'F' key repeatedly through it with some items still going purple anyway.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper
    Non-faction Ship Bridge Collector and Junk Hauler with alt-itis

Contact in-game to add your fleet to a casual, friendly Armada
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Reading this I'm almost tempted to partially lift my boycott on ground based races and collections, since they are never designed with transatlantic pings in mind. Those small slides and rubberbands are no where near as noticable in space.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    wisecasper wrote: »
    It's really not even difficult. Run to a pile of junk and mash the 'F' key until you have searched it all it will allow, move to the next area and repeat. Then once you have one of everything stock up on spares. Then go back to the bench to realign all the parts, 5 or 6 by playing the minigame properly or about 20 once you realise the minigame has no effect whatsoever and mash the 'F' key repeatedly through it with some items still going purple anyway.

Yeah I'm glad I decided to play Skyrim instead. I got more out of that then I would have doing the event. Especially when i pushed the large stone statue on top of the pretty pretty bride to squish her. >:) - Hail Sithis!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    What you all don't like Super solvers gizmos and gadgets: STO edition? :) (Points to anybody else that remembers this). Im finding it.. very reasonable for the 4 chars I do it on, and for just the 4 days I'm not expecting burnout like during the breach event.
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »
    What actually determines the rocket flight height. I had a blue engine, purple hull and purple stabilizer. My rocket flew a total of 19 feet. I barely flew higher than the afker. I like the spider attacks and the parts on fire, but if my rocket only flew 19 feet off of the ground and blew up then everyone on the launch pad should be a fried pile of goo. :)

My take on it is that there is a lot of dice rolling involved, but purple just gives you better odds. As far as I can see, the "better" rockets generally seem to do better, but I also saw a P/P/B rocket explode on start and a "lesser" rocket win.

Also it seems to me that there is an order of importance H>S>E for winning, but the sample size I got is way too small to really tell.
    I think E makes you fly faster, S and H both make you fly longer.... if the RNG is kind anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    celticvengencecelticvengence Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    From what I can tell it seems fairly random, however you do get a counter under your picture for Hull, Engine, and Stabilizer as you pick up parts (even duplicates) during certain phases. During scavanging a green gives 1, blue 2, and purple 3 I think it was to the respective parts, though engines go up for all. The time I concentrated just on engines was the only time I had one blow up, perhaps the hull was too weak despite being purple.

I am guessing that those numbers affect some sort of dice roll, a higher hull keeps you from exploding, a higher stablizer keeps your engines from wasting energy on an ineffecient arc(?), and a high engine number helps you go faster/further.
  • Options
    fruitvendor12fruitvendor12 Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    The junk seems useful during refinement - you get more chances to improve the working part.
  • Options
    Those numbers are the number of chances you get in the alignment stage to improve your equipment increased by the spare parts.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper

• Options
    Those numbers are the number of chances you get in the alignment stage to improve your equipment increased by the spare parts.
    No, I've seen those numbers go UP during alignment...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Agreed. Although seeing an AFKer's rocket blow up a second after liftoff is good for a few laughs.

Do you actually see anything? I just see an empty launch platform.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    No, I've seen those numbers go UP during alignment...
    Yes, as you align you sometimes gain more chances. For example my first one of today as soon as the time started I walked off and picked up a blue stabiliser, I then stood by my table doing nothing until the alignment phase where I mashed the 'F' key aligning a Purple Engine, a Blue Hull and a Purple stabiliser and got a pretty undeserved second place in the launch stats when I had spent the round watching as others actually tried to compete.

Picking up a single green engine in the next round gave me no alignment opportunity.
    Rj6YZR.gif
    @Wisecasper

• Options
    lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    I don't see what the problem is with AFKers; they don't affect anyone else's rewards. This isn't at all like leechers making it more difficult for a team in a PvE queue.

Yes they're not getting into the spirit of the thing but for all you know they've already built ten rockets today and they just want the grind to end.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I think E makes you fly faster, S and H both make you fly longer.... if the RNG is kind anyways.

E faster, H longer, S keeps your rocket stay in an upward position instead of veering off sideways.
    lopequil wrote: »
    I don't see what the problem is with AFKers; they don't affect anyone else's rewards. This isn't at all like leechers making it more difficult for a team in a PvE queue.

Yes they're not getting into the spirit of the thing but for all you know they've already built ten rockets today and they just want the grind to end.

As I said I have been caught AFKing a few times myself, but if you want to play the game just to play it and don't care about the rewards while the others are standing around - that's not much fun.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    tarran61 wrote: »
    Junk in inventory? My stuff never seemed to go to inventory.
    None of my other alts had it happen, just my AOY toon. I also noticed I had the backpack when I beamed to the fleet mine, then it and the junk just vanished,
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • Options
    admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Built one that could barely fly, and it beat several all purples. Built an all purple, blew up as quickly as an AFKer. I mean, it's random numbers, but seriously? That's ridiculous! :wink:
    Of course, it doesn't effect rewards, so whatever.
    Also, is it cheating to bring an Exocomp? I hear they're great engineers. :tongue:​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    So I scored a 19 not even lifting a finger on one character. The level of randomness is not silly fun, it's just plain silly...

Also, has Cryptic cleared up whether unlocks are account-wide yet?
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    The tiny backpack is stupid, does it have a point at all? It looked like a jet pack from risa and thought i could jet around, but nope, just decorative.