test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Population of star trek online on ps4

I was wondering what the population is like on the ps4 version of sto to the pc, as I am thinking about trying it out! If anyone has tried it out and able to compare to pc side which would you find more active?

Comments

• Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Only Cryptic has the information and they are unlikely to release that specific information unless it is so high that they feel justified to boast about it.

If you want to try out the game then do so. The Federation faction will have the most players. Based on old PC infographic data from 2015 (the most recent data), the faction split of "active characters" was 73% Federation, 16% KDF and 11% Romulan. The consoles could be something similar.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Here is the console infographic that was released about 1.5 months after the game launched on the consoles. 1.1 million characters created for both consoles, Federation was 68%, Klingons was 20%, and Romulans was 12%. Federation might be slightly higher now due to the TOS Starfleet Recruitment Event. The 2015 Infographic had 3.8 million characters created for the PC with 2.5 million accounts.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Just be aware that the 1.1 million characters back then was split between both consoles so no exact number is available just for the PS4. And that is not the actual player base / number of accounts. Additionally, that number excludes players no longer playing and of course new players who started playing after the infograph was released. Therefore, the number of actual players on the PS4 is only known by Cryptic and presumably Sony.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,526 Arc User
    STO can be 99% a single player game, and the other grouped 1% can be done with random players. So you really don't need to worry about picking the most active platform unless you are looking for groups of people to chat role-play with. PC probably is the the best choice for that.
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    Your best bet is to go PC, the PS4 community is a fickle bunch - I can see Cryptic no longer supporting those console platforms in the foreseeable future.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    If you have a choice between PC and console, the obvious choice is PC. The only people that play console have no other choice for financial reasons.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    When they released the infographic months ago, they inadertantly revealed almost all the characters never made it far in the game, since they also revealed the number of bridge officers and it was astoundingly low in comparison, meaning most people didn't even finish the tutorial
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    If you have a choice between PC and console, the obvious choice is PC. The only people that play console have no other choice for financial reasons.

Even if i had the choice id still go PC version the console version looks like a watered down version.
  • Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    I play on the PS4 due to ease of use, certainly not because I can't afford a PC. Did PC for twenty years and just got tired of the constant maintenance to make a game work well or even some times work at all with each patch that came out. I use to play complex combat flight and other type of simulators. Spent many long hours trying to get squad mates PCs working each time a patch came out so we could play together. PS4 I just turn on and play for the most part.

As for population, weekends is when you'll see the biggest population for queues. Being UTC-5, afternoon to around 10pm during the week for queues though right now most take 10 min to half hour to get into as The Breach is the focus. About 10 sec wait for that.

Plenty of fleet invites at places like Earth Space dock. Never have an issue doing Badlands or Delta battlezones (space or ground).

Romulan population most visible during hours I mentioned.

That said, having had up to 9 different characters, this game is mainly a single player game. Fleets aren't needed except to help maintain some type long term interest in the game.