test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does Photonic Officer III have a point?

I ask because currently, I don't se it: POIII reduces cooldowns by 70%, but there is a minimal cooldown for every ability that is at best 50%. In other words, you will be just as fine with POII as with POIII.

Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.

Comments

• Options
    preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    You look at this the wrong way
    Reducing a cooldown by 70 % does not mean what you think it means...

Ability: Tactical Team
    Duration: 10 seconds
    Cooldown: 30 seconds
    Minimum CD: 15 seconds

100% cooldown reduction = equals = 15 seconds
    70 % = 10.5 seconds

Each tree can reduce the CD by ... i think it was ... 20%
    So you are very close to 100

But it is almost impossible to get
    Photonic Officer III
    Because you get it only by having this super expensive and rare bridge Officer
    I would say the most expensive traininhgg manual in sto
    And every Sciene ship owner needs can commander slot for much more important things
  • Options
    renimaltrenimalt Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    "70% cooldown reduction" is most likely implemented like other cooldown reduction abilities: it's actually an increase to the ability recharge rate. Thus, 70% cooldown reduction means that your abilities recharge in 1 / 1.7 = 58% of the time they would normally take to recharge. If you get 30% cooldown reduction from other sources (skill tree + one krenim boff?), then your abilities would cooldown in 1/2 the time that they normally would (subject to duplicate ability cooldowns, of course).

(Also: hi Sophlogimo!)
    Resist viewer! See shield/hull resists! Read about it here!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    If it was a real 70 % reduction in cooldown length however, it might be useful in edge cases, like when some effect increases your cooldown length. (Subnucleonic Beam or Reroute Power from LIfe SUpport?)

Mustrum "that's a long-winded way to say it's not useful" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Yeah, seems like a more accurate description to me, too.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    As someone who has used PO a LOT over the years, I can report that PO3 is now really only useful* in the event that you have no more than 1 point in Readiness skills and NO other cooldown reducing stuff such as 2pc MACO, Delta rep console, etc. You don't even need to DOff it now because (as far as I can tell) it's at it's 2min global and so doesn't appear to affect itself anymore (used to be that you used 2-3 DOffs to get 1min up and 1min down).

Did a little PO test last night and I have found that PO2 works well to reduce most things to global CD with 1-2 points in X-Readiness combined with Delta rep Console, or other CD reducing thing (5-15% on top seems to be the thing to aim for here), PO1 will obviously need a little more help. Perhaps Krenim BOffs?

None of them are really worth slotting though if you do have points in Readiness skills and use Temporal Spec with anything that reduces your CDs by 10-15% ish, and to be honest, the benefit is marginal compared to how it used be when there weren't so many ways to reduce CDs. It works, it does what it's supposed to, just we have so many more efficient and less costly/more beneficial ways of doing the same thing that it's kinda obsolete unless you don't have ANY Cooldown reducing BOffs, traits or consoles and such. In that case I think it might well be worth using in the imterim while you accumulate Temporal Spec points, or think about getting AHOD, or Reciprocity, Krenim BOffs, or which rep traits to slot, or how to skill your character, or any one of the abslolute miriad of available ways to reduce your cooldowns.

I'd really only slot PO3 if I had 0 points in Readiness skills and nothing else to reduce CDs, but to be honest, there are far better ways than PO3 (this unfortunately includes PO1/2) and far far better things to go in its place that it would always seem like a waste of a slot. I can't imagine anyone but a Sci even considering slotting it, and anyone interested in doing as much damage as possible would likely never really gain a net benefit from PO in any form.

IDK. I used to swear by it and franken-tweak builds in order to fit it in. I dropped it shortly before the skill revamp. A thing came out, can't remember what it was, but it basically became unnecessary for me, and with locked global CDs in the coming patch, probably more so.

*As opposed to other versions of PO
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • Options
    hajmyishajmyis Member Posts: 405 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    As someone who has used PO a LOT over the years, I can report that PO3 is now really only useful* in the event that you have no more than 1 point in Readiness skills and NO other cooldown reducing stuff such as 2pc MACO, Delta rep console, etc. You don't even need to DOff it now because (as far as I can tell) it's at it's 2min global and so doesn't appear to affect itself anymore (used to be that you used 2-3 DOffs to get 1min up and 1min down).

Did a little PO test last night and I have found that PO2 works well to reduce most things to global CD with 1-2 points in X-Readiness combined with Delta rep Console, or other CD reducing thing (5-15% on top seems to be the thing to aim for here), PO1 will obviously need a little more help. Perhaps Krenim BOffs?

None of them are really worth slotting though if you do have points in Readiness skills and use Temporal Spec with anything that reduces your CDs by 10-15% ish, and to be honest, the benefit is marginal compared to how it used be when there weren't so many ways to reduce CDs. It works, it does what it's supposed to, just we have so many more efficient and less costly/more beneficial ways of doing the same thing that it's kinda obsolete unless you don't have ANY Cooldown reducing BOffs, traits or consoles and such. In that case I think it might well be worth using in the imterim while you accumulate Temporal Spec points, or think about getting AHOD, or Reciprocity, Krenim BOffs, or which rep traits to slot, or how to skill your character, or any one of the abslolute miriad of available ways to reduce your cooldowns.

I'd really only slot PO3 if I had 0 points in Readiness skills and nothing else to reduce CDs, but to be honest, there are far better ways than PO3 (this unfortunately includes PO1/2) and far far better things to go in its place that it would always seem like a waste of a slot. I can't imagine anyone but a Sci even considering slotting it, and anyone interested in doing as much damage as possible would likely never really gain a net benefit from PO in any form.

IDK. I used to swear by it and franken-tweak builds in order to fit it in. I dropped it shortly before the skill revamp. A thing came out, can't remember what it was, but it basically became unnecessary for me, and with locked global CDs in the coming patch, probably more so.

*As opposed to other versions of PO

Wow you seem to know and fully understand PO, and cd cheese. Welcome to the 1%.

With that said PO1 should be fine with using some other form of CD cheese. Maybe PO2 if you have a sci heavy ship. But PO still has a place as you said if you are not using other stacking cd cheese.

I have gotten to a place where I dont even remember the base cds on my sci abilities

* Remember Kids, just because a skill doesn't do "Space Magic" does not mean it is useless
    "Frankly, not sure why you're on a one man nerf campaign. "