test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who wants Kirk, Spock, Mccoy boffs? Here they are!!!

stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
edited January 2018 in The Art of Star Trek Online
My mate in fleet made some really cool boffs based on the Enterprise crews from the Original Series(prime timeline), the new JJ-verse movies(kelvin timeline), plus The Next Generation tv show.

Here are the pics of each crew:

http://imgur.com/a/nak5v

Here are a few notes he wanted to share:

If you would like to use these costumes on either your character or one of your bridge officers, you can download the costume files here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00dHqEoNdgCVkxWajdMMm1pWUE

To install, just copy the files above into your screenshots folder where your other costume files are.

Please Note: these are all ALIEN costumes. I decided not to import these costumes into other species, because some appearance will be lost due to the other species not having the same slider sizes as the alien.

However, if you would like to try importing these costumes for use into a different species, you can do so with the tool here:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/character_editor.php

Ok, that's it. Hope you enjoy!
Post edited by stobot#7771 on

Comments

• stobot#7771 stobot Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Here is an example of how these costumes can be imported into other species if you use the costume editor tool:

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/character_editor.php

l8gZkRI.jpg
  • naharikajalnaharikajal Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    Quite impressive. They look very close to the "originals".
  • nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    Scotty is best of all. Nice replicas.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Why assume a hack, rather than someone meticulously creating the Character?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    vdqlmw1.jpg
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    pretty sure its against the rules to hack the tailor and use NPC costume parts

Which is, as yet, unproven. They look off enough, esp. Chekhov, that it's more than possible for somone with enough time to make it work.
    edited March 2017
    The NPCs in game are not the most perfect of replicas. Remember attending some Convention last summer got you a pack of TOS Enterprise Boffs.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    To anyone considering using these in a foundry mission, don't even think about it. Using a real persons likeness in the foundry is a big no no.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    These don't look like anyone I've ever seen.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    If I had to have the big three on my boff crew, I'd make NuTrek versions just to annoy the purists when doing ground batte :grin:
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    pretty sure its against the rules to hack the tailor and use NPC costume parts

Which is, as yet, unproven. They look off enough, esp. Chekhov, that it's more than possible for somone with enough time to make it work.

Expert NPC designer here: the OP's designs are made exclusively from available parts. There is no hacking involved, just careful slider work.

At that, good job! I particularly like your Spock and Bones. But I should repeat Evilmark's comment that these designs should only be used for your character and crew in-game. It is against the EULA to replicate the likeness of a real person (or fictional character) for a Foundry mission.
    Relevant Foundry EULA excerpts:
    • You may not use the first or last names, likenesses, or other depictions of any actors appearing in, or writers, directors, or producers of the Star Trek Properties.
    • You may not use New Game Materials to depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day).
    • You many not make use of any copyrighted or trademarked material of third parties, and only may use the Star Trek Properties as explicitly defined in this agreement, without irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose.
    Not that anyone's suggested that but these are the only regulations governing how likenesses can be used by players in STO. Replicating the OP's work in the Foundry is not okay, but loading up their tailor files into your screenshot folder is perfectly fine.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Pretty fracking cool. Tho my dislike of The Shat is clouding my judgment... :(
    Lt Uhura and Yeoman Rand makes up for it... :)
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    Nurse Chapel where for art thou?

(Seriously though, great job on the re-creations!)
    edited March 2017
    whoops
    edited May 2017
    Just a joke

5k4qy8O.jpg

I don't think you'll run afowl of the stipulation for Foundry unless you actually name the NPC after one of the 'real' life Characters.

I am sorry they look good but if I saw them without knowing that they were supposed to be one of the Franchises Characters, I couldn't tell.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    For an old Trek fan like me, they look close enough to the "originals" that I have no problem recognizing them, but, probably due to the limitations of the character creator, enough different to be claimed as a "chance resemblance" and not actually "depict a likeness of any real person (historical or present day)".

Now i just need to find someone who can create close likenesses of some of the non Trek actresses/celebrities I want my away team to resemble......
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Nice work! Well done. Would like to see your take on the TOS Klingon Captains, Koloth, Kor and Chang. Since Koloth and the Squire of Gothos were played by the same actor, I wonder if Treylane is possible in game? I doubt all the costume parts are there, though.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    6bgxwFV.jpg

O9VCOMh.jpg

• wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Chekov had his ears covered, little longer hair, nearly as a bowl cut, until motion movie when he had newer hair cut, older Chekov had new cut in "Generations".
    edited March 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    I don't think you'll run afowl of the stipulation for Foundry unless you actually name the NPC after one of the 'real' life Characters.

No, we are prohibited from using names or likeness. It's still a EULA violation. The Foundry community takes that seriously because the EULA is what allows authors to do the things they do. Compare the Foundry EULA to, say, the CBS fan film guidelines. You really want to snub our easy regulations for a secret little thrill (that can only succeed if done badly?) No, you don't because that would be incredibly silly.

Do not use actors likenesses for custom Foundry NPC's. Violations will be reported (else we can't have nice things.)

And sorry for the OP to take this tangent a step further (lol at the new Archer, I suppose that's as close as we can probably get), but it's a serious matter.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    My point being that while they are well done, they do not look like the real characters.

Chekov was not on the show when the Episode with the Guardian Planet 'City on the Edge of Forever' aired.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited May 2017
    removed, see the OP for updates
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    My point being that while they are well done, they do not look like the real characters.

That's a very imprecise line of reasoning though. And, especially considering the limited abilities of the character creator, you'd probably think "Oh, somebody made a Kirk, great" if encountering the guy, even if he was named "Steve Miller". Here the intent counts, and you cannot really argue your intent wasn't to recreate an original ST character, even if you only succeeded up to 90% or so. Nobody will believe you. "You are not allowed to use the likeness" does indeed include "you are not allowed to try to get as close as possible with the tools given", even if there are still major differences.

And even apart from the fact that you'd get thrown out of any court or similar with this, you will always lose goodwill with the other party if you try to mince words and talk about exact phrasing. And I wouldn't like to see the foundry restricted to less possibilities because some guy goes all against the obvious intentions of a rule, citing "exact phrasing".

If I asked you to not smoke in my flat during a party, and please go to the balcony, you stepping onto the balcony, turning around, and blowing the smoke back in would fulfill what I asked you to do. But since you'd be obnoxious in that scenario, I'd show you the other door back to the main entrance.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    As for the likenesses themselves: quite a few are really great. Of the TOS ones, I'd only not immediately recognize Chekov. Archer is great, too.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    Sisko: Thumbs up
    Janeway: Um...maybe have another go.
    :)
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,267 Arc User
    I have done alot of googling on the subject and have yet to find a single instance of a EULU violation being brought to court and enforced.

So I doubt very much if you used such characters in the foundry that anything would happen.
    My mate in fleet made some updates to the original costumes so I updated the OP with the latest pics and link to download his files.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I prefer the crew of DS9 to original series, I'm a Miner.