test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New factions?

Comments

• docbrown#0652 docbrown Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Four fractions isn't enough for you? I think Cryptic should hold back on releasing new fractions and focus on building up the ones we have.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah in truth most of these including cardassians I could see being more of race additions to the existing faction, over a full or partial faction in the end. I would just not mind seeing the romulans getting afew more race options than just the three or so races they have now. Hell can we get a romulan version of the caitain/Ferasan for them.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I honestly don't see the attraction of a new faction, whether its the spoonheads or not. If they do arrive I predict a lot of kardashian homages with the butt slider cranked up.

The romulans (&remans) are a semi faction since they have to align to fed or kdf and ship wise they're stuck between those two with the ship numbers available. I have a romulan and despite having a good selection of ships I've never found one that I like flying, oddly this also include the cross faction variants like the sci command cruiser rommie one just feels off somehow.

The big temporal bundle that came with tos struck me as not that great, as with the rommie one half the ships wouldn't be used very long since levelling is pretty fast and if you already have existing ships to level off then why bother with some that were tos'd together one afternoon.

The borg should remain as a faction thats mainly NPC's. If people are desperate to play as a borg then become a vet next discount sale, as a pre-f2p vet I'd never suggest you buy it full price nowadays.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    As much as I'd love to see Cardassians...I don't know if we'll ever see another faction ever again.

1) They spoke of Cardassians...said it was a mistake to add the Galor...then later on they make a T6 Keldon
    2) They said they considered adding the Cooperative...but decided not to (What better time to?)
    3) They had 2 factions they could of went with but instead added another pure Federation faction which is sort of a one and done faction (Meaning there aren't going to be complaints of them not getting new ships)
    4) What other faction could they add?

They have went out of there way to avoid new factions...and new factions would mean more ships to make...and more complaints to endure since we all know they wont get the attention Feds do.

Logically it's just a lot easier and a lot less pressure not to make any more factions.

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Guys, look at how ships are bundled in the store. They're not ever going to do another 'full' faction. They're already pushing their luck trying to sell ships in clusters of three. Batches of four? NOT. HAPPENING.

Cardassians as a AoY style mini-faction might one day be a thing, but unless Star Trek Discovery takes of like a rocket AND introduces some new must be/must play group, mini-factions is all we'll ever see.
  • wakerobertswakeroberts Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    It would probably make more sense for the Cardassians to be introduced as a cross-faction playable race, even though a Romulan style faction would be nice. At the very least, Cardassia and Ferenginar should be built and they should each get a story arc.

Plus, there are still other minor alpha quadrant powers that I'd like to see introduced. If the choice is between a new faction and more canon species making their way into the game, I'll go with the latter.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    One of the only ways I could see a evil faction working as a playable faction. Is thru the idea of you joining the alliance under the guise of being an ally, but in truth you are working undercover to subvert an undermine the alliance. So the missions would be largely the same, but with changes to the text to reflect the fact you are a undercover agent of a evil faction seeking to destroy the alliance. Still the idea of this would never see you actually destroy the alliance, or meaningful ground, but would at least need afew minor unique mission at points.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    why would they add new factions when they can't even support the ones they already have?

4c8d7206d1de617947c9fa5797c6fbf3_c05png-why-cant-i-hold-all-these-memes_576-768.png

WHAT? Reality check here: Cryptic studios is a small team with big expenses. {i]ACTUAL[/i] faction development (as opposed to alternate starting sites) is manpower, money, and time consuming to develop and requires more manpower, time, and money to maintain, with no corresponding increase in income to hire people and expand equipment.

Legacy of ROmulus:Grand total population of 11%.
    KDF: Grand total population DECREASE after Delta.
    Agents of Yesterday: small increase in sales to an existing playerbase, net increase in negative population growth for KDF and Romulan factions, but no corresponding increase (or not enough to matter) in the playerbase it already services. (basically rearranged feds and increased alts that clog up ESD by a percentage.)

Note that Per the Lead Developer romulans were intentionally made to exploit the mechanics in order to boost sales. Note also that AoY, while 'techinically' a faction, have no objectives past the first six missions that are unique to them, no resources after the last of their tutorial missions of their own that are not shared by every other Federation character including reporting to Quinn's office, and the only ship they get that is 'unique' to them is their equivalent of a Miranda.

even ROMULANS get more post-tutorial.

In games that can't rely on exploiting a 50 year beloved franchise whose fans will buy anything, where you have more than one faction, those factions with smaller pops often get supporting development to keep them viable, or get cut if they're not.

for whatever reason (Probably expense) STO can do neither.

They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?

Cryptic might not be able to support more factions, but they can certainly support more tutorial factions like the TOS Starfleet faction. Just provide a bunch of new costumes, one free ship, a bunch of new C-Store ships, a few new animations, a new Recruitment event, and a few new missions and Cryptic has a new faction that they will never provide any more assistance to.

Any future factions will be a tutorial faction, microfaction, or whatever you want to call it where they are only able to play less than 10 missions before being thrown into one of the main factions.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Yeah, Klingon TRIBBLE might look good to Klingons, but the game isn't being played by Klingons and to me it looks like the entire Klingon empire got pummeled with an ugly stick.

Which is part of why I so greatly support the use of non-Klingon ships in the Empire's fleets. Gorn and Orion ships are less ugly than Klingon ships.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    orion ships all look like cancerous potatoes...NOTHING int heir fleet looks better than klingon ships​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I would like to see the Orion ships from TAS in STO, they have an interesting design.

latest?cb=20080229004116&path-prefix=en
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I would like to see the Orion ships from TAS in STO, they have an interesting design.

latest?cb=20080229004116&path-prefix=en
    YES! Now this is a captain who knows a good looking ship!

And yes.... mutant potatoes are more aesthetically pleasing than most Klingon stuff...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,275 Arc User
    that looks even worse...they should've just based them off the orion designs from SFC - just modernized; both because 200 years later and to avoid copyright claims from whoever owns the SFC license now​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited March 2017
    nimbull wrote: »

Cryptic/PWE really messed up on the AoY setup. They could have added KDF and Romulan AoY toons and might just have grown those factions as well as the player base. Instead they went Fed only with it.

Cryptic made add new KDF and Romulan AOY Toons in the next expansion. Cryptic has say in the past they like to add more content for the Klingon Fraction. The Klingon fraction could really use some more content. They haven't been getting much love compare to the other fractions.
    I doubt they're going to touch SFC with a 7-lightyear pole...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2017
    They can't support multiple factions, and they can't mechanically remove the factions they can't support. Why add to the server loading and man-hours material that they can't support?
    I honestly wonder what sort of drugs you take, and where I can get them, because you really do live in a hilarious version of the world that simply doesn't actually exist.

Dude, do you not understand how game engines work? Cryptic has reached the limit with STO. Adding a new fraction just isn't possible for Cryptic. The technology for a new fraction just doesn't exist. If Cryptic want to add a new fraction they either have to create a new engine or a new game.
    edited March 2017
    Dude, do you not understand how game engines work? Cryptic has reached the limit with STO. Adding a new fraction just isn't possible for Cryptic. The technology for a new fraction just doesn't exist. If Cryptic want to add a new fraction they either have to create a new engine or a new game.
    Yes I do, and apparently you do not, as that has nothing to do with the game engine. Nor has anyone at Cryptic, nor even the conspiracy theorist Patrick, made such a suggestion.

The only thing the ENGINE itself currently limits to any significant degree is limiting sector space maps to a max of 8x8 sectors

No, you really don't understand how a game engine works. Yes it does have everything to do with the game engine technology. It also has to deal with how much money Cryptic makes. Adding a new fraction take time and money for Cryptic to make. We all know that Cryptic isn't going to release a new fraction just to satisfy the few basement dwellers who spend all day playing STO.
    The devs created the engine and modify it constantly to make it do things it couldn't do previously. Therefore any statement of "the engine can't do this" means that it can't do it yet.

Even Taco's statement about why they only use 8x8 is predicated on them not improving(increasing digits used) the way it stores location data.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing