test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New weapons power formula on Tribble

sophlogimosophlogimo Member Posts: 6,507 Arc User
Going just by the tool tips and after having played with power levels a bit (this is with three Mk XIV hit locator tac consoles and Mk XIV Epic phaser beam arrays:

Weapons power == apparent percentage change in damage

125 == 150%
100 == 133%
75 == 116 %
50 == 100%
26 == 84%
17 == 78%

The formula will apparently be something like

Weapon damage boost from power in percent = [Power level -50] * [2/3]

To me, this looks as if other weapon power settings than 125 are actually a viable selection, under certain circumstances.

Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.

Comments

• Options
    captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    no pont in me running at 130 then.... :(
  • Options
    kelshandokelshando Member Posts: 887 Arc User
    no pont in me running at 130 then.... :(

Its always been capped at 125 as far as your buff in damage.. the reason to run higher the 125 was do to power drain.. such as if you are firing 8 beam arrays and at max power draw you're still above 100 power you would be doing over all more damage then lets say your power dropped down to 50 on the last weapon firing cycle.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Well, charting the data (& adding 0 == 0) and fitting a 3rd order polynomial line to it to get a nice R² = 0.9678 and line equation of:
    y = 0.0002x^3 - 0.0549x^2 + 4.2997x + 2.7271
    Weee!!! Math! ;)
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Keep in mind ALL your energy weapons will now drain as well, not just all of them minus one. So your levels are taking an extra hit per cycle now.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    Looks like the Lobi console that reduces weapon power usage 10% will become quite popular.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Well, charting the data (& adding 0 == 0) and fitting a 3rd order polynomial line to it to get a nice R² = 0.9678 and line equation of:
    Weee!!! Math! ;)

That's... not even close?

But it was quick!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • Options
    That's... not even close?

Gotta problem w/ it? Talk to Bill Gates; it's his program doing it! :D

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Keep in mind ALL your energy weapons will now drain as well, not just all of them minus one. So your levels are taking an extra hit per cycle now.

Not to mention the incredible nerf to Leech.

I did the Upgrade weekend, as I already had the tokens, but, as of this moment, I'm done buying more stuff. Bort et al. have swindled me for the last time.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Not to mention the incredible nerf to Leech.

I did the Upgrade weekend, as I already had the tokens, but, as of this moment, I'm done buying more stuff. Bort et al. have swindled me for the last time.

They haven't swindled you, they adjust the game in necessary ways for it to be sustainable both as a game and as a business. That is a good thing.

Eh, that seems wonky. I mean I've read posts by you IIRC in the past where you had the exact opposite to say about Bort.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    my current weapons power is 128 i plan on pushing it higher and add a slight drain capabilities to my build so post nerf the leech will still provide some support even if minor.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    1465851829814.jpg
    I hate math...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    1465851829814.jpg
    I hate math...

1+1 = ....Potatoe
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    1465851829814.jpg
    I hate math...

1+1 = ....Potatoe

Pokemon_c35afa_1165535.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    1465851829814.jpg
    I hate math...

1+1 = ....Potatoe

Pokemon_c35afa_1165535.jpg

seriously, did someone have to take apart a game cartridge to find that out or did the company that makes the games release the formula somewhere?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    They had to basically do what a certain leak fleet does to get its information...albeit with more hacking of proprietory software and code along with literally having to dissect the code to derive the formula
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Weee!!! Math! ;)

0 == 0 is very questionable here. 0 probably doesn't fit the formula.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Weee!!! Math! ;)

Zero weapon power leads to 0 weapon output. Seems pretty unquestionable to me! ;)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    xyquarze wrote: »
    Weee!!! Math! ;)

Zero weapon power leads to 0 weapon output. Seems pretty unquestionable to me! ;)

Except that out-of-the-behind-pulled formula above doesn't achieve that. ;)

That would be why the r-squared isn't 1.0 and it's a 'best fit' polynomial. I 'd not be surprised if it hits ANY of the points dead on. :'( Would have to go to a higher power poly and then it'd get all curvy and wavy and not really hold to the curve you'd expect. Really, you'd probably stop at a 2nd order, but it's R-squared when I did it was around .85 I think... still good, but 3rd order was alot better.

If you don't include 0==0 then a straight line fits it and at Zero power you get 66% which makes even less sense than my 2.7%