test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

R and D question

Recently l crafted 3 antiproton beam weapons. I'm not sure how it happened, but one of them has critical hit chance and the others don't. I started to upgrade that particular weapon so maybe the crit chance came from the upgrade.

If you are looking for a particular stat for a weapon you just keep crafting it until you get the stat you want?

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    Yes, the mods are random.

You should be crafting at Mark II for several of reasons:
    - it uses cheap white mats
    - it only takes 5 minutes
    - 100% chance of a VR weapon with 3 mods
    - You get 12 chances to increase to UR and then Epic on the way to Mk XIV. And the low-level upgrades are very cheap -- 1 Superior tech will take it to level 6+ (more during the Upgrade Weekend starting tomorrow on PC).

You will need to craft dozens of weapons to get one with Dmg x 3 or CrtD x 3, or x2 and [ Pen ]. Then you upgrade and hope you get Dmg or CrtD as the 4th mod instead of Acc.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Weapon mods are completely random when crafted and upgraded. If you want specific mods like [CrtD]x3, or [CrtD]x2 [Pen], then you need to continuously craft until you get them. For example, I wanted 3 Plasma Turrets with [CrtD]x2 [Rapid]. I had to craft over 150 Plasma Turrets to get the mods that I wanted.

Also, do not upgrade anything until tomorrow... at least on the PC. There is an Upgrade Weekend starting tomorrow after maintenance and will last until Monday morning at 10am PST.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    You should ONLY be crafting Mk II weapons once you have your school up to or very close to level 15 so you get 3 mods on them. Otherwise you're wasting your resources. And yes, the mods you get are random. If you're needing some "decent" weapons before you get to that point, there's plenty of missions where you can get ok ones, or buy them from your fleet.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Also, do not upgrade anything until tomorrow... at least on the PC. There is an Upgrade Weekend starting tomorrow after maintenance and will last until Monday morning at 10am PST.

Well... there is a downside to Upgrade Weekends. The upgrade points are buffed but not the quality %. If you are trying for quality improvements, the weekend actually hurts you since each upgrade you add adds to the % chance. If you only have to use 1 instead of 2 then you are halving your chances per upgrade. And the first few upgrades from Mk2 to Mk9 give the biggest % chance. So if you blow though those with, say, 1 Phoenix Pack Upgrade that has the normal upgrade chance you'll get to Mk5 or 6 w/o adding any more Upgrades

• scottybro1970#1342 scottybro1970 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Thanks for all the help guys. I have to say l am impressed with this community...all other games in this genere l played all had very toxic communities...you could not ask question like these without getting bashed.
    edited March 2017
    Thanks for all the help guys. I have to say l am impressed with this community...all other games in this genere l played all had very toxic communities...you could not ask question like these without getting bashed.

We save the bashing till you have 100 posts. :D
    (Or unless maintenance takes too long and then people get grouchy.)
    Uh oh...l feel bad for those who have 1000 or more....lol.
    Now at 64! Only 36 more till hellfire rains down! >:)
    Well l will be ready:)
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Well... there is a downside to Upgrade Weekends. The upgrade points are buffed but not the quality %. If you are trying for quality improvements, the weekend actually hurts you since each upgrade you add adds to the % chance. If you only have to use 1 instead of 2 then you are halving your chances per upgrade. And the first few upgrades from Mk2 to Mk9 give the biggest % chance. So if you blow though those with, say, 1 Phoenix Pack Upgrade that has the normal upgrade chance you'll get to Mk5 or 6 w/o adding any more Upgrades

If you're going with MkII upgrades sure enough upgrades weekends may not be the thing if you're going for the epic quality early. But if you're at MkXIV and not epic yet (reputation gear) then that's when upgrade weekends shine since your quality points are not reset at each upgrade attempt.