test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Details on Space Balance Changes

Comments

• crypticspartan#0627 crypticspartan Member Posts: 847 Cryptic Developer
    A point I saw raised - the new science captain ability is ship-specific, and assumes to be running an exotic build, it would not be very useful on a low-science cruiser (versus heals and power, which everyone likes, or damage, which everyone really likes).

Everyone likes heals, power, and damage is what you say?

The ability buffs drains, control abilities, heals, and exotic damage. Please give feedback on Tribble as to how useful this is when you actually get the ability, but I do not think it is as pigeonholed as you are making it out to be.
  • cidstormcidstorm Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »
    you need, at max, 3 skill bars

I fill up 4 and half skill bars on average.
    Are you one of those people who puts all of their ship weapons and boff powers on their power tray despite them already being right there on the screen to begin with?

9 times out of 10, when people go over 3 bars, it's because of that.

I do put my boff powers on there which helps with screen clout and FPS. Multi torp builds work better with manual firing so it's a proper consideration too. I still use 4 plus bars without torp builds though.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Can you say something about separation pets? Will they receive the same update as carrier pets? And will you add a dedicated UI for separation pets that lets us give commands and see their health?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    @crypticspartan#0627
    When can we (roughly) expect the tribble notes?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,194 Arc User
    What goes around comes around. FAW and Subnuc nerfed? plus I'm sure some more nerfs coming your way:

The list of changes goes beyond what can be called out in this blog, and includes a large amount of changes to other abilities and items not mentioned here. The full list of initial changes will be in a Tribble patch in the near future, which we will be keeping a close eye on for feedback and issues.

They started on ground nerfs and you guys think they would stop? For those who said...oh well who cares about ground...well see if now they care about space?

Long time ago PvPers left this MMO and surely they'd be glad they did that. So much fun with the nerfs! :D
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    So long as you don't resell the nerfs back to us as buffs in scam gamble boxes, under the guise of pay to play ship traits and the like, this all sounds good..
    Post edited by sunfrancks on
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    cidstorm wrote: »
    you need, at max, 3 skill bars

I fill up 4 and half skill bars on average.
    Are you one of those people who puts all of their ship weapons and boff powers on their power tray despite them already being right there on the screen to begin with?

9 times out of 10, when people go over 3 bars, it's because of that.

In my case: 12 BOff abilities, 7 captain abilities (disregarding things like ramming speed or stance), 3 most used attack pet commands, 3 most used subsystem attacks, 3 device activations, 2 console activations, 3 reputation specials, 1 warp core overcharge activation, rock'n'roll, and I keep my torpedo in the toolbar to keep track of its cooldown. I think that covers it, but I maybe missing some. So even without the torpedo that would still sum up over three bars (35>30). And since I put up five bars I fill those up too with things like diplomatic immunity, slipstream, trader call, stance, etc.

It's pretty easy to go over three bars.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    daviddxx wrote: »

Yes.. cant understand this and like i said.. this is such a **** ! But this makes clear that they have no clue whats going on in PvP.

I've seen Spartan playing the game pretty frequently, but, that being said, I think I had a brain TRIBBLE last time I commented. Most changes seem fine. Having processed things, giving subnuc beam as a boff ability pretty much devalues science captains even with that buff it's being replaced no matter what the details on it are. And I do mean that, no matter how much the buff is, it's not worth it. When I as a science captain get hit with subnuc beam, it puts me in a bad spot if I don't have something to clear it, but I only have to worry about science captains right now. Now we'll have a whole team throwing subnuc beam left and right. Chaos, pure chaos.

I'll go into Tribble, but I know this will suck.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    No guns and no Boff powers go on the Skill Tray, or any of the Items that have their own Tray (Singularity, Command, etc.)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    A point I saw raised - the new science captain ability is ship-specific, and assumes to be running an exotic build, it would not be very useful on a low-science cruiser (versus heals and power, which everyone likes, or damage, which everyone really likes).
    Eh, you change one Sci captain power you never use for another Sci captain power you never use. Unless you PvP. Then you lose something.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    "Deflector Overcharge" is an absolutely horrible idea IMHO.
    It basically sends the message that "Science Captains should stick to flying Science-centric Ships"
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Unfortunately, @crypticspartan#0627 feels more like answering questions on some other company's website (reddit) than here... so the more fruitful discussion once again takes place there.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5zdg0z/details_on_space_balance_changes/

This thread got started much, much slower than the Reddit thread (two comments vs ~thirty in the first half hour), and as such I have not been checking it as frequently.

This problem isn't exclusive to this topic, more and more it seems like the devs (generally speaking, not you specifically) ignore the official forums in favor of reddit or Twitter, which is something I personally find quite frustrating. Imho game information (again speaking generally here, not specifically STO or even Cryptic) should be concentrated on official websites and forums, not scattered around the Internet like a shotgun blast.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    "Deflector Overcharge" is an absolutely horrible idea IMHO.
    It basically sends the message that "Science Captains should stick to flying Science-centric Ships"
    Well, they said more powers are being revamped. There could be Tactical or Engineering powers that are boosted by "Deflector Overcharge". Like Kemocite or Eject Warp Plasma or Aceton Assimilator.
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    As a mainly science captain, I'm hesitant about the sub nuc change, but I'll try to be open minded until I see exactly what it's replacement offers.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    Seems to be a lot of nerfs than decent changes imo
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Doesn't seem like you guys even did anything for ground. Is ground finished? Saw my kits cd reduced by 1 second and that's it

Well they aren't doing much for space, as with ground this is just another band-aid that wont affect the meta at all.

Instead of just buffing the useless projectiles people will never use anyways Crpytic, why not fix projectiles themselves? This BS with shields absorbing 75% of the damage is ridiculous, especially when all it takes is a sliver to absorb the whole 75%. There is nothing at all in canon to support that...
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    While this change will not pry my Sci out of her Bulwark Dreadnaught it sounds like it removes a situational good skill and replaces it with a borderline useless one.
    lianthelia wrote: »
    This BS with shields absorbing 75% of the damage is ridiculous, especially when all it takes is a sliver to absorb the whole 75%. There is nothing at all in canon to support that...

There is nothing in gameplay to support your allegation that 'any sliver of shields absorbs 75% of the hit'. As I have explained numerous times and will likely continue to:

Shields absorb 75% of kinetic damage that they take.

If I fire a 1000 damage Photon Torpedo (which deals Kinetic Damage) at you and you have 1 shield hitpoint left in the facing closest to me, and it has 50% resistance, it can absorb a total of 8 damage - that 8 damage is reduced to 4 by its resistance and then to 1 by its absorption. The remaining 992 kinetic damage then is sent directly to your hull and deals with your hull resistances. Since that remaining 992 is not dealt to shields, it is not affected by that absorption mechanic.

If that same situation happens and you have 500 shield hitpoints in the relevant facing, your shields will have 900 damage sent at them, because they have the capacity to withstand that, and 100 sent at your hull (assuming nothing has happened to bleedthrough). Your shields will reduce that 900 by 50% because of resistance and then by 75% because of absorption, taking only 112.5 damage, but your hull will take the full 100 only modified by hull resistances.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    I was hoping to see a buff to Rotate Shield Frequency. As for the subnucleonic beam change, definitely don't like that. Kinda gets rid of some of the uniqueness of playing as Science character. Also, how big of a healing boost is the new replacement science captain ability going to give? Is it going to be something that makes engineers less unique? I've always thought of engineers as the healers and science characters as the debuffers.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    This BS with shields absorbing 75% of the damage is ridiculous, especially when all it takes is a sliver to absorb the whole 75%. There is nothing at all in canon to support that...

There is nothing in gameplay to support your allegation that 'any sliver of shields absorbs 75% of the hit'. As I have explained numerous times and will likely continue to:

If I fire a 1000 damage Photon Torpedo (which deals Kinetic Damage) at you and you have 1 shield hitpoint left in the facing closest to me, and it has 50% resistance, it can absorb a total of 8 damage - that 8 damage is reduced to 4 by its resistance and then to 1 by its absorption. The remaining 992 kinetic damage then is sent directly to your hull and deals with your hull resistances. Since that remaining 992 is not dealt to shields, it is not affected by that absorption mechanic.

If that same situation happens and you have 500 shield hitpoints in the relevant facing, your shields will have 900 damage sent at them, because they have the capacity to withstand that, and 100 sent at your hull (assuming nothing has happened to bleedthrough). Your shields will reduce that 900 by 50% because of resistance and then by 75% because of absorption, taking only 112.5 damage, but your hull will take the full 100 only modified by hull resistances.

Thanks, sir, for this and the other clear and well explained details. Can't wait to see how these changes cumulatively affect the "feel" of the game. Thanks, also, for what I'm sure amounted to a huge amount of tedious hours revisiting every system in the game and their intricate interplay. From what we can see in the blog, it seems like the right direction to me. Have to reserve ultimate judgement until it bakes in, of course. Cheers!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

kyle223cat wrote: »
    I was hoping to see a buff to Rotate Shield Frequency. As for the subnucleonic beam change, definitely don't like that. Kinda gets rid of some of the uniqueness of playing as Science character. Also, how big of a healing boost is the new replacement science captain ability going to give? Is it going to be something that makes engineers less unique? I've always thought of engineers as the healers and science characters as the debuffers.

Let me reiterate these two statements:
    The list of changes goes beyond what can be called out in this blog, and includes a large amount of changes to other abilities and items not mentioned here. The full list of initial changes will be in a Tribble patch in the near future, which we will be keeping a close eye on for feedback and issues.

• jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Personally, I like everything that I am seeing in the blog post. I look forward to trying it out and mixing some new builds.

Man, don't you ever get tired of having that conversation? It seems like about a third of the time that I see you post it is on that topic.

@crypticspartan#0627 this is incredibly confusing.

Are you saying that the kinetic "absorption" mechanic is different from the shield resistance mechanic?

Are you saying that shield resistance is tied to shield "health"?
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    @crypticspartan#0627
    Will the new Subnucleonic Beam BOff power be buffed by Deflector Overcharge?

Will Deflector Overcharge affect duration of control powers also?

How will Trait: Superweapon Ingenuity be affected by the Beam: Overload change?

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. Somehow missed it.
    jslyn wrote: »
    Personally, I like everything that I am seeing in the blog post. I look forward to trying it out and mixing some new builds.

Man, don't you ever get tired of having that conversation? It seems like about a third of the time that I see you post it is on that topic.

He keeps having to post about it because people keep complaining based on their inadequate understanding of the game's mechanics. Don't blame the developer for having to explain the same thing over and over again.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    jslyn wrote: »

He keeps having to post about it because people keep complaining based on their inadequate understanding of the game's mechanics. Don't blame the developer for having to explain the same thing over and over again.

Well, it's not exactly the simplest MMO mechanic I've ever seen, so I'm not surprised many people still don't understand it
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User

Ah, I shall wait and see if my questions will be covered in the Tribble patch notes then