test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] STO System Requirements Change this Week

13»

Comments

• rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    so Intel HD Graphics doesn't work anymore?

My HD3000 works on low settings (card has a hardware support of DX10.1 version, settings of DX11 in-game, no command line on launcher BTW.) It seems to work as before. This laptop is old/low end to begin with, and has low memory (4GB) too.

IGP/GPU and memory amount are probably the reason I always needed to keep the settings low, no matter if DX9 or DX11. It's stable enough mostly though, when not having a connectivity issue.

P.S.
    Note that Intel HD2000 is the bare minimum of that series... And HD3000 is not recommended too, but passable for now; Support of those (bellow HD4000 and at HD2000 or better, at least) is "borderline" (no Lighting 2.0/no "real" DX11, and those are not separated ofc too) so to very non accurately and non formally speak. Your mileage with cards/GPU/IGP and game support or experience may vary.
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Well, PlayOn team seems to be adding new builds today. They diddn't build 2.3-staging yet, but 2.2-staging is there. It's not a big improvement over 2.1-staging the way 2.1 was over 2.0, but the Breach does look better now.

Lights 2.0 still don't work in the actual game, but in character select screen they do. In the actual game, everything is black except lights and characters themselves. They're also extremely slow.
  • thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Windows 10, Directx12, Nvidia GTX 970, and I'm unable to log into game due to a "Your videocard is unsupported" message. Gameprefs file checked and directx11 is active, and my card is detected correctly, yet still unable to get past the launcher. STO installed via Steam if that makes any difference.
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.
  • hatchmo252hatchmo252 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Windows 8.1, DirectX 11, Nvidia GTX 745. I log in and am stuck on the perpetual black screen.
  • bbqfatalbbqfatal Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Windows 8.1 64-bit, Directx 11,Nvidia Geforce 820M, after I click engage it tells me "unsupported video card....unable to play...upgrade your video card...bla bla bla:" seriously?
    Windows 10, Directx12, Nvidia GTX 970, and I'm unable to log into game due to a "Your videocard is unsupported" message. Gameprefs file checked and directx11 is active, and my card is detected correctly, yet still unable to get past the launcher. STO installed via Steam if that makes any difference.

Update regarding my post. After reinstalling the game from scratch (deleting all left over files, including tribble/redshirt files too) I am now able to use the launcher to log in. If you have updated your graphics drivers etc, and are still getting the same "unsupported video card" message, then you may have to go down this route. My sympathies to anyone on a limited data plan who has to do this. :neutral:

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you could just try deleting or moving (the latter is far more recommended than the former, obviously) your Gameprefs.Pref file located in <Install Path>\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata and see if that fixes the 'videocard unsupported' error before you go the route of reinstalling the entire game and/or GPU drivers​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    I' ve sent in a ticket. I actually sent in a ticket before, because I was getting the "Video card will not be supported" message, and was told that it would run and to take no notice. Am cross.
    you could just try deleting or moving (the latter is far more recommended than the former, obviously) your Gameprefs.Pref file located in <Install Path>\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata and see if that fixes the 'videocard unsupported' error before you go the route of reinstalling the entire game and/or GPU drivers​​

Unfortunately I did try this route and there was no effect on the unsupported message. I even deleted all versions of gameprefs.pref within the STO folder (so from the main folder, the live folder, the test folder and even the super old beta folder) and still no dice. it took a complete removal of the game from my system before it worked. Though, I do encourage people to try deleting the gameprefs.pref file first. I might have just been unlucky.

• gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Check your Command Line options (in the Launcher). If you have either of these, remove it:
    -d3d9
    -d3d11enable 0

Those commands force the game to run DirectX 9, which will now prevent you from ever playing the game.

(In fact if you have ANY commands in there, I'd tell you to remove it, unless you know exactly what it does and why you put it there. Just clear the whole line.)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • captinjacksparowcaptinjacksparow Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    gfreeman98 wrote: »
    Check your Command Line options (in the Launcher). If you have either of these, remove it:
    -d3d9
    -d3d11enable 0

Those commands force the game to run DirectX 9, which will now prevent you from ever playing the game.

(In fact if you have ANY commands in there, I'd tell you to remove it, unless you know exactly what it does and why you put it there. Just clear the whole line.)

What worked for me was changing -d3d11enable 0 to -3d9.
  • jsdc002jsdc002 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    I have a GTX730 that is also throwing the same "Unsupported Video Card" error. Before that, I had a GeForce 8400GS series.

1. The drivers are updated for both cards.
    2. I was already on DirectX-11 for both cards.
    3. When ArcGames was notifying people that they no longer supported DirectX-9, I did not get that message.
    4. No Command Line flags were found.
    5. OS: Windows10. AMD IIX-3 processor. Everything was working just fine until after the March 2 patch!!
  • titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    samargatha wrote: »
    Since the announcement, we have been following up on player’s concerns and feedback and we feel the impact on the playerbase should be minimal.

For those who are affected, it's not that minimal.
    As a reminder, Star Trek Online is no longer supported on Mac, and has never officially supported Wine. While some players have found ways to use these OS and applications for Star Trek Online, after Thursday’s update this will no longer be possible.

Don't bet :D
    As, for now, you might be right, with time we will find a way to play on linux/mac again. By now Wine 2.1-staging seems to have some DX11 support. I didn't make it work yet. But be sure I'll keep trying. Whatever takes to be away of that glory hole of spam/bloatware/spyware/malware that windows is.

LMAO another deluded Mac user.

Funny, I can remember Vista, and Microsoft's anti-virus that flagged -everything- as a virus.. so deluded to not trust microsoft??
  • titanhoss#9356 titanhoss Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    Well, as of today windows7 Pro 64 bit on Virtualbox is a no-go