test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

XP and DX9 no more sto! has it affected you?

garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
XP and DX9 no more STO! has it affected you?

XP and DX9 no more sto! has it affected you? 112 votes

yes ,i am out
11%
kurzoffvivenneanthonyastroroblathedarkphenoixm311gulxgilamarthscrooge69asches1buster8855jc1240#2788unicron573psuche#0635buliwyf#0906 13 votes
nope
83%
friedhorfunikonn#1068reiklingraiderladymyajharangerryuduncanidaho11garaks31daboholicthemetalstickmancokebeargaevsmanbejaymacmustrumridcully0crypticarmsmandracounguisreyan01cidjackkitsunesnoutangrybobhquesterius 93 votes
need to get a new device
3%
sophlogimonimbullphoenix841codyfl 4 votes
consol time
1%
marokkrellhorsefrog#6874 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    chemistrysetchemistryset Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    nope
    Not at all. Game runs fine on highest settings.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains is great news for stupid people.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    nope
    I'm not affected since I have no computer still running xp or d9. However the poll options are curious. You have three "yes" and one "no" option but they are badly labeled. I figure you wanted to ask who of the affected quit, continous to play on pc after an upgrade or who switches to console. Maybe two polls would have worked better, maybe I'm overthinking it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    discojerdiscojer Member Posts: 533 Arc User
    nope
    My computer is 7 years old. It came with Windows 7 and a video card with DX11support (which I replaced a couple years ago with a better card)

Granted, if I used my 10 year old laptop running XP and with a DX card, I would be out of luck. But I don't expect things to support that anymore.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    I'm not out but it has affected me since ppl from my fleet mailed me that they will eb out..... until they got a new machine
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jc1240#2788 jc1240 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    I have Windows 10 running in a VM on Mac and I'm forced to leave STO due to this change. When I run it in D3D11, some maps like ESD crashes the game every time. No go with bootcamp (errors out on the disk partitioning).
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    nope
    I have Windows 10 running in a VM on Mac and I'm forced to leave STO due to this change. When I run it in D3D11, some maps like ESD crashes the game every time. No go with bootcamp (errors out on the disk partitioning).

Could be due to a lack of RAM. If you are running STO in a VM while running Mac OS, then I would guess that the game is crashing as a result of insufficient RAM since RAM is being used by both OSes. Additionally, if your laptop only has integrated graphics, then it must also use RAM. ESD has a lot of textures so when you are load that map whatever Intel HD graphics core you have, it will need much more RAM than other typical maps.

I have no experience with Mac OS or Bootcamp, so I have no idea why you are getting disk errors on the partition.
  • Options
    jc1240#2788 jc1240 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    yes ,i am out
    jaguarskx wrote: »

Could be due to a lack of RAM. If you are running STO in a VM while running Mac OS, then I would guess that the game is crashing as a result of insufficient RAM since RAM is being used by both OSes. Additionally, if your laptop only has integrated graphics, then it must also use RAM. ESD has a lot of textures so when you are load that map whatever Intel HD graphics core you have, it will need much more RAM than other typical maps.

I have no experience with Mac OS or Bootcamp, so I have no idea why you are getting disk errors on the partition.

Could be RAM I guess. It's an iMac (desktop) with 1 GB video RAM (ATI Radeon HD 5750) and 12 GB system RAM with 8 dedicated to the VM. Going to try bumping up the allocated video RAM since the error appears to be video related.

EDIT: bumping the VM's video RAM to the full 1GB made no difference. It was fun while I lasted.
  • Options
    nope
    8GB of RAM devoted to VM should be fine.

Try loading the game in Safe Mode which can be found in the launcher's option menu.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nope
    Other than Cryptic's dx11 graphics making all water in the game invisible, no.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    I'm not affected because I'm not a cheapskate who thinks all the latest games should still be able to run on 10 year old hardware. Nor am I a special snowflake who thinks his fringe OS used by 1.5% of all PC users should be catered to.
  • Options
    syriliansyrilian Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Do the graphics being glitchy since the move to dx11(end of last yeqar)count as a yes or a no?
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    nope
    syrilian wrote: »
    Do the graphics being glitchy since the move to dx11(end of last yeqar)count as a yes or a no?
    Depends on if you're going to quit or "consol time" because of it.

Certainly counted as a no for me.
  • Options
    warmonger360warmonger360 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    nope
    I WAS hoping it might've solved map loading, but it didn't. STILL I gotta alt-tab out, kill it then restart the client
    WE SURVIVE!

aut vincere aut mori pro imperio
    either to conquer or to die for the Empire
  • Options
    tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    nope
    Sort of a silly thread. I would think that a bunch of people for which XP was an issue and even DX9 would have left by now. And of course a butt load of people don't even come on the forums. So of course the results will yield far more Nopes.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    personally for me right now no , but if i had my original rig i started playing with i would and i know of a few fleet mates that have to play on rigs that best run on DX9 mode , my thoughts is that i have a box version of the game that i paid for ,and those min specs shouldn't expire at all its advertised on this box . im sorry but i feel that this are the specs that the game launched with , this isnt a EARLY access , this isnt a BETA this is a AAA launched title . which means they should be held to those min specs PERIOD .
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    i beg to differ , STO white knight . ive played plenty that the minimums never changed , but the recommended did , thats fine you want to raise the bar on how good the game can perform based on new tech , but to alienate paying customers that looked at the minimum spec who at the time fit it when purchased or looked it up on steam etc . hell they haven't even changed the minimum spec on steam lol which can get them in alot of trouble with GABEN , you are held to those listed specs as a dev while recomended can fluctuate the min are set in stone for the life of the title sorry to tell you .
  • Options
    nope
    Yeah, WoW's system minimum requirements have change overtime. But at least according to the following Blizzard support article that has been updated 1 day ago, WoW still officially supports Windows XP. Then again they have a much larger development team and that game likely generates more money in 1 quarter than STO generates in one year.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/World-of-Warcraft-System-Requirements

The following article compares the original 2004 system requirement for WoW to the requirements in 2014 for Warlords Of Draenor.

http://kotaku.com/world-of-warcraft-system-requirements-have-changed-a-lo-1638506551

And a screenshot of the requirements:

gcfGR9P.jpg

• Options
    nope
    @jc1240#2788

You may want to try installing the older AMD Catalyst Driver rather than the more recent Crimson Drivers. If you play games other than STO, then be aware that performance in those games can be affected. Below is a link to the last Catalyst Driver for Windows.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows+10+-+64
  • Options
    nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    nope
    I was compelled to get a new system some time ago after Microsoft dropped support for XP. So, to say that I am unaffected isn't perfectly applicable. I didn't do it because of STO but rather because of Windows.
  • Options
    buster8855buster8855 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    i can not get in video set to wrong dx. i am running dx11 but game says i am running dx9 i am running win 7
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    STO still runs fine on my mac book pro from late 2013.

I use bootcamp windows 7 with DX11 support.

1680×1050 resolution gets the job done with all details to max and feels alright considering the small 15 inch display.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    nope
    My computer is 5 yrs old w/ a Nvidia Geforce 550Ti graphics card and can handle STO and DX11 just fine. If yours can't, then you really need a new computer.
  • Options
    gulxgilamarthgulxgilamarth Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    yes ,i am out
    Poll does need a "Yes, but going to try to work thru it" or something.

A victim of AMD here myself. Hardware is fine, playing with setting hopping STO recognizes Dx11 and min+ graphics.

No, I'm not going to... well let's just leave it as I have no interest in trying to "be better" than everyone else with that "my hardware is leet, u suck newb!". Yes, many of you have much better hardware than I do, and I probably have better than others. Point being with STO acknowledging an error on their end with the AMD graphics and what not it's probably a better bet to give STO a chance to get a fix and after that see if yer comp can handle the game. Yes, I read a few rather insulting and slightly unhelpful replies in various threads that were nothing more than to earn some kind of internet points.

Currently doing a full reinstall of the game, making sure everything is updated, going to attempt a driver roll back as suggested if needed, and basically do what I can on my end to prove to STO that Dx11 is NOT Dx9. If that does not work, then I simply do something else for a while and check in to see if and when they get this fixed.

Good Hunting and luck to us with the AMD Issue :)

-Gil
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    nope
    Nah, didnt affect me even on my old machine but used it as an excuse to get a new laptop anyways. Went from an amd 7640g to an nvidia gtx 1050.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    OMG it affected me, I had to remove the old command line from my launcher which forced it to use DX9. I had totally forgotten I had put it in there when there was a huge issue with in back sometime around DRs launch. So I was forced to remove it, and let my game run with the current stuff (which luckily for me) they had fixed in the meantime.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    nope
    Serious question for the Windows 7 people. Why the heck did you stick with Win 7 when Win 10 was being given out for free?