test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRAPPIST-1

hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
I was waiting for someone to post a thread about this. lol

Any thoughts about this discovery? A lot of the articles go straight for the alien intelligent life thing, but any life would be fascinating. Their orbits are fast, from a day and half to a few weeks, so, if they had atmospheres, I'm not sure if they could have extreme seasons like we do? What would evolved life be like? I'm also curious as to what the planet rotations are like.

Comments

• admiralnatadmiralnat Member Posts: 22,432 Arc User
    Well, apparently the planets might be tidally locked, i.e., the planet Remus. Remans, perhaps? One side is a constant hottest summer day, the other is a constant coldest winter night, and that sweet line between the 2 sides... is where you wanna be, but be careful, because it is entirely plausible that some may just have really long days, kinda like Mercury... which would seem like being tidally locked, but it days actually do go by, just so slowly that you wouldn't really notice until a long while had gone by... and by then, you've already built your house only to realize it's gonna be a long, long summer day... that you didn't prepare for. :tongue:​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

tr;dr, I am winning last post wins 3.0. Thank you for your time.
    Oh, look, an explosion...
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    According to analysis of the orbits and masses, the inner two are probably tidally locked to the star; the others most likely have resonant orbits, where they actually do rotate more quickly than they orbit (F, the one chosen as most likely to be Earthlike, has three days per local year, for instance - its year is about 2 1/2 Earth-days long, so its days are pretty short by our standards).

The only issue with the system (aside from the fact that it's 39 lightyears away, of course) is that Trappist-1 is an M-class star, with slightly more stellar activity than our G-class Sun. We're lucky in that the star is dim enough, and the plane of its ecliptic close enough to edge-on to us, that existing telescopes can analyze the atmospheres of the planets (over time, of course). The big thing they'll be watching for is ozone, which indicates that the atmosphere has oxygen in it and that enough of it has ionized to protect the planet from its sun. Large amounts of free oxygen are also regarded as a pretty good predictor of the existence of plant life. Next thing to look for would be methane, indicating the existence of some sort of animal life feeding on the plants. (So far as I've been able to learn, methane and oxygen should only occur at the same time in an atmosphere if something is breathing the oxygen and farting out the methane; there may be other methods, but I can't conceive of any that don't include life at some point in the cycle.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    You know, if it's year is only 2 1/2 Earth days long... with 3 days per local year... that's 3 days, each 20 hours long, and only 3 days per year. If you still had 8 hours of sleep and 8 hours of work, that leaves you 4 hours of literally everything else, but on the bright side, you have a birthday every 3 days... :tongue:​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.
    It's what I do. It's what I just did. It's what I'm about to do again. It's being undisputed emperor of an empire that cannot be disproved as the most powerful intergalactic empire in the entire universe; I always win, and everything I've won will definitely be won again... by me. It's my signature move, and thus, it's my signature. Problem, Sonic? Yeah, I mean you, Sonic, because you're being beat up, despite your being super. You can't even hit Shadow back, can you? Nope, he's too strong for you. Of course, I'm not Shadow, I'm the Super Emerald fueled fox that's pulling the strings; trust me, the fight would only be a few frames long if I were in it personally. Oh, and here's something for all you guys thinking you can win Last Post Wins 3.0; trust me, I'll be around a long while after the sun has already consumed the Earth while I sit out with the forum servers on Titan. Yes, I mean Titan... that comparatively little moon orbiting Saturn. It's a nice little place in a version of our solar system where the sun is a lot bigger. I mean, Mars will last longer than your precious Earth, but by then, it'll be one hot planet... and I figure Saturn's moon will be about the right temperate for a super-powered warlord. Oh, and trust me, I packed a lot of rings, and I mean a lot. Trillions, in fact, so I'll never run out of rings to power my super form. Besides, if I start to run out, I can just chaos control more rings into my reach. It's quite easy, really. You should try it. Granted, you'll never have the 7 Super Emeralds that I have in my possession, nor the Master Emerald that I've got hidden away somewhere... absorbed into my body thanks to Sonic logic, but whatever. I win. Again. I'm not kidding, either. Just check Last Post Wins, and if the last post isn't mine, it soon will be. Very, very soon. You can count on it. Seriously. By the way, if you're wondering, there's a really great Super Tails sprite sheet out there... somewhere... by some guy named shadow_91. These sprites are really great. Like, really good. Quality. Just like what I like to see in a sprite sheet. Also, credit to Joe T.E., his Sonic Battle style Super Sonic sprites have a great palette for a Super Sonic being beat up by Super Shadow, who's palette is from a Super Shadow sheet of unknown origin, but it turns out they were "borrowed" from a better sheet made by a certain Domenico. Oh, and the gif is actually a custom made super version of a similar gif, of which there are only 3 or 4 copies to be found by Google, and even then, evidently of an unknown source. Yep, it's one of those things. Stuff people have made, spread around, only for it to vanish and you to be the only person who still has a copy, not even knowing where it came from... like, literally at all. Oh, and anyone notice that Shadow's little chaos snap blast thingies are red and blue now? Yeah, I changed it. Problem, fans of purple? Yeah, I know you got a problem with that one, but you can just deal with it. After all, according to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly... alright, alright, I'll spare you the entire Bee Movie script, just Google it if you want. By the way, ever wonder how your characters would've ended up if they evolved in another universe? Yeah, that. Think about it. Ok, so you probably didn't bother reading up to here, but whatever, here's a surprise for you guys over at ESD (RP) who were crazy enough to read this: Emperor Nat of the mcfreakin' Terran Empire is gonna be right all along! The universe is gonna go BOOM! *Thumbs up to the insanity*
    Oh, now don't tell me you want in on all this! Well, ok. Look this that Egg Pawn hanging outside your window, pointing his laser rifle at you, waiting for my next order. He's doing his part. He helps conquer the weak-minded. He roboticizes the weak-bodied. Heck, he even helps keep the useless people from causing any trouble, but you know what? Join. Find the closest Nataran Empire roboticization center near you and join the ranks, before the ranks find you. Oh, I know, you figure it must be so satisfying to know I basically rule the world now, and you know what? It is, but do you want to know the true definition of satisfaction? Well, let me tell you a little story. One day, you see a brand new event. They're giving out boxes that give old event stuff. Your dilithium is plentiful. You buy a whole lot of Phoenix packs on your main, and open them all. You get one epic token. Then, you decide, that since you have all the Breen ships and don't give a damn about the others, you exchange it for an ultra rare, and grab yourself a Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and for the hell of it, a Voth Bulwark. You open both, leaving the Bulwark in your vast masses of starships as you jump into the bugship and deck it out, deck by deck, into the most awesome Jem'Hadar ship you can. You fly it. You enjoy it. Eventually, you get bored and leave, leaving the old Bulwark never flown... until later. Your main is long complete. Your new alt main, based off some character you pulled out of nothing just to explain away some starship being in service without the command of your dear admiral, is also complete. Mostly. Their reps and doffs are hard at work, getting you stuff. You realize the potential, and head back for your dear admiral, pull the most Voth themed build you can out of thin air, and suit up in your giant ship in the shape of you know what. You head out... and cause all sorts of havoc. Enemies scream out your name as their very life is drained away by your swarms of Aceton Assimilators. They complain to the devs of your OPness when you revive yourself from death every time you die. Do you show any form of mercy? No. After all, this isn't the United Federation of Planets, this is mother frakkin' Starfleet, where you explore strange new worlds and kick butt never kicked before. Oh, and you realize that I just wrote another speech rivaling your own signature. Cool. Oh, wait, that's just the original draft, it is part of my signature now. Oh, and yes, I am aware that I have become a Canadian Regent; one day, sooner than you'd expect, we'll suddenly decide to take over the world and declare an "alliance", and I shall become it's Regent. You know, like the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance in the mirror universe of our beloved Star Trek. Oh, who'll we be taking over with? I dunno, maybe [REDACTED], or maybe aliens from outer space. Guess you'll have to wait and find out, won't we? Until then, don't ask too many questions, or else my Breen allies on Titania might pick up on your -- [REDACTED BY BREEN CONFEDERACY FOR REASONS] Also, psst... keep an eye out for flying Tribbles! Also walls. Big, great walls, separating entire continents apart. Walls patrolled by Tribbles. Flying Tribbles. Flying Nukara Tribbles. Don't worry, it's not like they were on Venus with a herd of Tholians or anything, they just like the extreme heat and brutal weather like acid rain and hurricane force winds as the norm. Oh, and definitely keep your eye out on any two-tailed foxes, because if they ain't glowing, they're definitely an imposter. Possibly an Undine, we caught one of those once in my place once. Oh, and if you find a two-tailed fox that doesn't like the cold... most certainly ask him to say sorry. If he refuses, DESTROY HIM WITH A DOOMSDAY MACHINE, BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE THAT WOULD BE ENOUGH AGAINST SUCH AN OVERPOWERED IMPOSTER!

• psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    Dunno, I liked another Twitter suggestion:

- Earth 2
    - Earth 3
    - Earth 3+
    - Earth 3+ GS
    - Earth 3+ GS Black
    - Earth 3+ GS Red/Gold
    - Earth 4

Then again, there's always the classic:

- Grumpy
    - Sleepy
    - Happy
    - Bashful
    - Dopey
    - Sneezy
    - Doc
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Figured out a good list of my own:
    -Sonic
    -Tails
    -Knuckles
    -Amy (Rose)
    -Eggman
    -Fang
    -Metal Sonic

Yep, literally the playable character roster of Sonic Drift 2. Really unknown, but why not?​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    They orbit a red dwarf right?
    1. Lister
    2. Cat
    3. Kryten
    4. Rimmer
    5. Holly
    6. Kochanski
    7. Talky Toaster/Ace/Dwane Dibbly/Mr Flibble/other Holly?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • icerose20icerose20 Member Posts: 18,379 Arc User
    Since alot of red dwarf are flare stars, the planets better have a pretty strong magnetic sphere or their atmosphere would leaked out like the current Theory on Mars's atmosphere.

Names for the planets: Westmalle, Westvleteren, Achel, Chimay, Rochefort, Koningshoeven, Engelszell.

Ancient Griffon insult

That one is so stupid, he lost a Rock/Paper/Scissors game to a Pony.
    Flaring wouldn't cause the atmosphere to "leak out"; Mars' loss of atmosphere occurred because the surface gravity is about 1/3g, only twice that of the Moon. On the other hand, radiation is a danger, which is why one of the gases astronomers will be looking for in their atmospheres is ozone (a sufficient concentration, not much more than Earth's ozonosphere, would protect the planetary surface from radiation, making it more likely for life as we know it to develop).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Also consider the possibility of solar flares, since the planets are a lot closer. It's also suggested that the star's light is mostly infrared; humans wouldn't be able to see very well on those planets, if at all. Safe to say, if anything lives there... it'll be weird. Or the Remans, which are a surprisingly likely (but still unlikely) possibility given the low regular light paired with the possibility of the planet(s) being tidally locked.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    doesn't superman's homeworld (Kai-el, i think) orbit a red dwarf? that's always a possible name if so​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    doesn't superman's homeworld (Kai-el, i think) orbit a red dwarf? that's always a possible name if so​​
    Kal-El's homeworld is (or rather was) Krypton. Naming one of those worlds after Krypton, though, might be a bit of a bad omen (aside from the fact that Superman's powers, as well as the tonnage of kryptonite we've seen in the comics, would seem to imply Krypton was more of a super-Earth...).,
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    I'd name them after all the Bajoran planets. :)

-Bajor I
    -Bajor II
    -Bajor III
    -Bajor IV
    -Bajor V
    -Bajor VI
    Name them after the Death Stars.
    1. Death Star
    2. Death Star 2
    3. Starkiller Base
    4. Starkiller Base 2 (Episode 9)
    5. Solardestroyer System (Episode 10)
    6. Solardestroyer System 2 (Episode 12)​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    Heres a few names they should be called

1 : John Glenn

2 : Neil Armstrong

3 : Yuri Gagarin

4 : Buzz Aldrin

5 : Gus Grissom

6 : Valentina Tereshkova
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

1 : John Glenn (first American to orbit Earth)

2 : Neil Armstrong (first man on Moon)

3 : Yuri Gagarin (first man in space and first man to orbit Earth)

4 : Buzz Aldrin (second man on Moon)

5 : Gus Grissom (first man to return to space)

6 : Valentina Tereshkova (first woman in space)

Have a problem with Buzz Aldrin since he was the second man to walk on the moon. I suggest replacing Buzz Aldrin with Alexei Leonov (first man to do a space walk). Alan Shepard is a possible replacement for John Glenn since he is the first American in space.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »

1 : John Glenn (first American to orbit Earth)

2 : Neil Armstrong (first man on Moon)

3 : Yuri Gagarin (first man in space and first man to orbit Earth)

4 : Buzz Aldrin (second man on Moon)

5 : Gus Grissom (first man to return to space)

6 : Valentina Tereshkova (first woman in space)

Have a problem with Buzz Aldrin since he was the second man to walk on the moon. I suggest replacing Buzz Aldrin with Alexei Leonov (first man to do a space walk). Alan Shepard is a possible replacement for John Glenn since he is the first American in space.

leonov i could agree on glenn? no john glenn stays.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Trappist? Some of the best beer on Earth:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trappist_beer
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    questerius wrote: »

And we just found a very good reason to go to the Trappist system. Why limit themselves to some of the best beer on Earth when they could be some of the best beer in the galaxy.
    questerius wrote: »
    Not a coincidence, either - the research group that discovered the system is Belgian. They also named their next project, using telescopes to examine the planetary atmospheres in that system, after a Belgian cookie.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    jonsills wrote: »
    Flaring wouldn't cause the atmosphere to "leak out"; Mars' loss of atmosphere occurred because the surface gravity is about 1/3g, only twice that of the Moon. On the other hand, radiation is a danger, which is why one of the gases astronomers will be looking for in their atmospheres is ozone (a sufficient concentration, not much more than Earth's ozonosphere, would protect the planetary surface from radiation, making it more likely for life as we know it to develop).

That and the weak Martian magnetic field not providing much of a shield against the solar wind, I thought.

As for names:
    1. Ebisu
    2. Benzaiten
    3. Bishamonten
    4. Daikokuten
    5. Fukurokuju
    6. Hotei
    7. Jurōjin

(The seven lucky gods of Japan.)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    Or we could just call them Trappist-A, Trappist-B, Trappist-C, etc and let whoever gets their first to give them a proper name. After all, it is possible that they are already colonized and named.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    How about Earthy McEarthface?

->[. ]
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
    Ok, here's one list of suggestions, in order from the first planet, Trappist-1b, to the furthest, naming them after similar planets we all know and love:
    1. Tholia - I do believe the possibility of a Venus like atmosphere may not have been ruled out just yet, so naturally, I'd suggest we name it after Nukura Prime; however, naming it after the Tholian homeworld would make it more consistent with the others.
    2. Vulcan - Cuz it looks like the Vulcan homeworld, and given that the next world out is probably colder than the world in question, this one might be the right temperature, too, although nobody has a clue if it has the right atmosphere.
    3. Remus - The planet might be tidally locked, and hey, it kinda looks like Remus too.
    4. Andoria - The average temperature is apparently just a little colder than the typical Andoria summer...
    5. Rura Penthe - Like Andoria, but bigger, colder, and possibly has further extremes; given the cold, I'd suggest Rura Penthe, just because it's cold.
    6. Undecided - Cold, but possibly livable. I'd suggest some kind of well known Class L planet, but Memory Alpha has none with names.
    7. Breen - It's so cold, it's probably a frozen wasteland, and even then, anything living there would probably need cold suits to survive in our temperatures, just like the Breen.​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

whichever one turns out to be inhabitable (if any) i'm nominating Bob for the name​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • lazarxlazarx Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    NASA tends to oversell their discoveries to pump their brand. You're talking about seven planets all in extreme close range to their parent star. Those artist conceptions of those worlds that has been circulating? Pure absolute fiction. We actually have no data as to what those worlds look like, or if they are any more than bare rocks like a set of oversize Mercurys, Being that close, solar winds would have stripped the atmospheres away long ago. It's a very interesting system which shows us that our theories of solar system dynamics need refinement. But there is no reason to believe that these are future homes for Humanity.
    lazarx_2855.jpg
    Well, we can dream of a system containing the homeworlds the Tholians, Vulcans, Remans, Andorians, and Breen, can't we?​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.

lazarx wrote: »
    NASA tends to oversell their discoveries to pump their brand. You're talking about seven planets all in extreme close range to their parent star. Those artist conceptions of those worlds that has been circulating? Pure absolute fiction. We actually have no data as to what those worlds look like, or if they are any more than bare rocks like a set of oversize Mercurys, Being that close, solar winds would have stripped the atmospheres away long ago. It's a very interesting system which shows us that our theories of solar system dynamics need refinement. But there is no reason to believe that these are future homes for Humanity.
    What is your evidence for the solar wind of a cool, dim star like Trappist-1 stripping Earth-sized planets of their atmospheres? Do you have data indicating that these worlds do not have substantial magnetospheres to protect them? Or are you guessing, just like everyone else, only with less data than the research group (not, incidentally, affiliated with NASA - they're Belgians) who discovered them?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    whichever one turns out to be inhabitable (if any) i'm nominating Bob for the name

seriously? nobody got the joke?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

whichever one turns out to be inhabitable (if any) i'm nominating Bob for the name
    seriously? nobody got the joke?
    Why Bob?​​
    2jwMZnF.gif
    Winning.