test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Unofficial Literary Challenge #33 Discussion Thread

starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
edited March 2017 in Ten Forward
This is the discussion thread for ULC 33: "What Happens on Drozana..."

As usual be courteous and polite.

EDIT: Gorram it, I had to repost it because the forum censor ate the entire thread when I went to edit it the first time. @pwecaptainsmirk @ambassadorkael#6946, can you PLEASE have somebody from tech support fix that "post needs approval" thing?
"Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
— Sabaton, "Great War"
VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
Post edited by starswordc on

Comments

• takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    Nice prompts, and thanks for using mine. :)

Will need to see if I have any ideas. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Ohhh yeah, that approval thing will get you. And I think Smirk left a long time ago. Also, nice prompts. I never really thought about Fleet Week, but I guess that still goes on in NYC.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Ohhh yeah, that approval thing will get you. And I think Smirk left a long time ago. Also, nice prompts. I never really thought about Fleet Week, but I guess that still goes on in NYC.

Dang, you're right, I forgot all about that.

And yeah, that's basically the inspiration. I'm sure you can come up with some wacky hijinks for the Phoenix-X crew. Me, I'm going to riff on a story my dad told me from his Navy days. Even though the Masterverse is basically dead (what with sander dying and marcus getting banned), I wanna use Tyria Sark for this and it's off-topic enough I don't think it'll cause problems.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Nifty prompts!
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
    starswordc wrote: »
    And yeah, that's basically the inspiration. I'm sure you can come up with some wacky hijinks for the Phoenix-X crew. Me, I'm going to riff on a story my dad told me from his Navy days. Even though the Masterverse is basically dead (what with sander dying and marcus getting banned), I wanna use Tyria Sark for this and it's off-topic enough I don't think it'll cause problems.

Gah. That sucks. :-/ Looking fwd to what you got. I like your Naval-type perspective in your stories.

I'm currently building my Klingon fleet, so I'll try the KDF take. Since I've got three ULC stories down for both Sigon and Deloss, I might do a crossover between them.
    Do you guys think we could get the entry thread pinned every month?
  • aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Probably have to ask around, I'm sure we could get them stickied, or even create a new thread linking to the new ULC's, like the old index that's still pinned.

To bad we can't just get that one unlocked.
    Hey @jodarkrider, would you or anyone else be ok with pinning our ULC entry threads every month? Our current one to be pinned for March is here --> ULC33
    Maybe we should make a New (Unnofficial) Literary challenges Index, so we can link the previous ULC's and the newer ULC Annual's?
    edited March 2017
    Gee, it seems both Gregs and Zinuzee get quite a Surprise! in my latest ULC prompt, inspired by my take on Prompt 1, while their ship is up for refit.
    Hehe. He one-upped her in the end. Nice work! Now I'm hungry.
    edited March 2017
    Here's mine! I almost went with the First City as my location, but did Drozana in honor of the challenge title.

In-story connections (spoilers):
    • Deloss' comment of whipping an alternate universe crew into shape references when Qu put him in one in ULC30.
    • Sigon being boarded and dishonorably saving Menchez's life from the Kazon-Rokka is from ULC28.
    • Sigon invading Raatooras every year is a reference to Captain McCary stumbling upon his invasion tradition in ULC17.
    • Stuart the Devidian was last encountered by Captain Iviok in that film set pocket universe in ULC08.
    Post edited by hawku001x on
    *Can't Breath*

Lethargy by consumption of neural energy...

You gave it a name!
    Now it'll just keep coming back like a lost puppy!
    edited March 2017
    lol Yeah, I named him in ULC8 back in 2015, after a certain Trek film director.
    aten66 wrote: »
    Gee, it seems both Gregs and Zinuzee get quite a Surprise! in my latest ULC prompt, inspired by my take on Prompt 1, while their ship is up for refit.

Interesting and sweet (and tasty-sounding).

You know you're in a utopian future when the pasta actually cooks at the listed time to correct firmness. :)

Here's mine! I almost went with the First City as my location, but did Drozana in honor of the challenge title.

Something really struck me as funny with that last line in the first section, not sure I can describe why, but just the Klingon warriors mutely agreeing with the philosophy and wandering off...

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!

Something really struck me as funny with that last line in the first section, not sure I can describe why, but just the Klingon warriors mutely agreeing with the philosophy and wandering off...

Haha. I do think that even those guys should have a certain level of shared awareness.
    edited April 2017
    Who's posting the challenges for April? Any chance you can tag @Ambassadorkael in the first post (or PM) and see if he'll pin the next ULC thread? o:)
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    I'll do it if no one objects.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Go ahead, I'm too distracted by Mass Effect Andromeda.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Solaris is docked, the crew is resting and all's right with the galaxy ... or is it?

Slowly trying to catch up ... still. I've seeded ideas along the way to make effort but I'm almost a year behind :( Anyways, I hope you enjoy. You maaaaay recall some of these characters from 2016, lol
    Nice work! You think it's about one thing but it ends up being another.
    I half-suspected the bartender was going to come back with that larger glass... :)

• cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Thank you for reading! Antonine, it's funny you say that because it did cross my mind! Then I thought, him being on SED may mean he wouldn't make Jim's problems worse ...

I've got 34 done, just need to make time to get it here and on my blog :)

35 is giving me some heartburn :P