test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

✡✡✡ Leonard Nimoy Memorial Anniversary ✡✡✡

just watned to remind everyone that monday febuary 27th is the memorial of leonard nimoys death so lets all get together at the spock statues to celebrate the life of an amazing man and icon to so many! hope to see you there!

7TaYXdj.jpg

Comments

• carcosa#4225 carcosa Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    um where's the statue?
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    It's on Vulcan.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    So you're celebrating his being dead for a year? Sounds weird.
    Why not choose his B-day or something. Dying isn't really an accomplishment.
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    um where's the statue?

There ARE TWO actually. One on Vulcan the other on New Rom.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    If I bring a Spock piñata, is that good or bad etiquette for such a gathering? Just seems like bashing the image of the person you're honoring would be bad, but kids always pick their favorite superhero so that would make it... good? And would the type of filling make a difference in that judgement? Candy, broccoli, tribbles? :/

mr-spock-pinata.jpg
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    So you're celebrating his being dead for a year? Sounds weird.
    Why not choose his B-day or something. Dying isn't really an accomplishment.

It.. ain't. You might have gathered from some answers (and maybe from the first memorial right after he died) that this is a honeypot for some of the worst elements of the community going all out of their way embarrassing themselves, everyone else and generally generating a bad time for a lot of people. If you want to mourn his passing do your sanity a favor and visit his statue alone at any other day but such a day.

And if you want to celebrate/party his life his statue on Vulcan on his day of passing would be one of the worst locations & days anyway.
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I won't be able to attend, but I hope all who do have a blast! And for those who frown upon this, I'll just leave you with 5 festivals in the greater world today in which those who passed on are remembered in fond celebration.
    1. Day of the Dead
    2. Qingming
    3. Bon
    4. Chuseok
    5. Gai Jatra
    Post edited by cactolith on
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Oh please, the only problems came from people who couldn't understand that not everyone mourns the same way.
    Oh, the irony.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    What time or is it an all day thing?
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Doing so on a game online is just not the same as doing it in real life, it's just a lesser experience that way.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    And here in the US, in New Orleans, death is celebrated much the same way.

But others prefer to remember with silent reflection and memories and don't want that interrupted by someone forcing disco balls on them.

I'm sure there will be enough instances on that day so that those who celebrate/reflect/whatever will have an instance to remember him in without making others feel uncomfortable.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    So the OP must be the new stalking horse.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited February 2017
    @saurializard

There is no irony, I was here on the forum and in the game when Nimoy died and you didn't see the people who wanted to celebrate his life complaining about those who were in the mood for a solemn memorial, but you did see those "solemn mourners" complaining non- stop about those who chose to celebrate his life in the fine traditions of many cultures.
    Maybe because those who "wanted to celebrate his life" disrupted those who were "solemny mourning" instead of finding a few instances and saying on zone "hey, if you want to celebrate his life instead of mourning his death, come to instances <insert numbers here> so we can all aknowledge Nimoy each in our way without disrespecting the others, thanks", for example.
    #TASforSTO
    edited February 2017
    @saurializard

There is no irony, I was here on the forum and in the game when Nimoy died and you didn't see the people who wanted to celebrate his life complaining about those who were in the mood for a solemn memorial, but you did see those "solemn mourners" complaining non- stop about those who chose to celebrate his life in the fine traditions of many cultures.
    Maybe because those who "wanted to celebrate his life" disrupted those who were "solemny mourning" instead of finding a few instances and saying on zone "hey, if you want to celebrate his life instead of mourning his death, come to instances <insert numbers here> so we can all aknowledge Nimoy each in our way without disrespecting the others, thanks", for example.

so you think you shouldnt have to see/be around people you disagree with?
    That's exactly what I'm saying but not in the same way you try to twist it. I accept everything I hate's existence (with certain harmful exceptions) in-game or IRL, I just don't accept when they shove it in my face on purpose and follow me to keep doing it, and I don't think I'm the only one.
    #TASforSTO
    @saurializard

so you think you shouldnt have to see/be around people you disagree with?
    That's exactly what I'm saying but not in the same way you try to twist it. I accept everything I hate's existence (with certain harmful exceptions) in-game or IRL, I just don't accept when they shove it in my face on purpose and follow me to keep doing it, and I don't think I'm the only one.
    no one is "following" you. the world does not revolve around you.
    You're free to not approve if you disagree with what i said.
    #TASforSTO
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Stirring up trouble. Leviathan must be SFD.
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I saw a memorial for someone I knew recently happening in town.
    Chose not to run into the middle of the service with boombox, disco balls, confetti and "amusing" zombie" version of him as a costume...
    Thought for some bizarre reason, that it might not go down too well.
    But of course I know I should have, I mean its my right to celebrate this chap by interjecting myself there any way I choose afterall, and anyone offended is if course an imbecile as it was in a public area.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    Edit: on topic, I'm sure a few Delta 1 guys will be there in some fashion briefly :)
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    Stirring up trouble. Leviathan must be SFD.

I thought he was banned. And I don't remember him making such false equivalencies in his posting.

Anyway, I did find the "Ghost Spock" to be amusing. That was the one with the missing head, if I recall correctly. Or maybe I'm getting it mixed up with the equally amusing "Zombie Spock".

Some people take Star Trek too blasted seriously.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Wait for Alphonse and Gaston to chime back in, that will confirm it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns