test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Worth playing with other races?

ksmith420#7383 ksmith420 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
So i downloaded star trek online about a week ago and chose the romulan race for my faction. I am really enjoying the storyline and missions and was wondering how different the other faction race storylines are? Is it worth it to make a character for each? Or does it all just merge together rather quickly? If there is atleast a few episode sections that are different, that would make it worth it to me. Any input?

Comments

• Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    The storylines eventually merge, but imho there's enough faction-unique content to be worth creating a new char (except TOS feds, they only get a few more unique missions than normal feds).
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    The different faction storylines are pretty different until the start of 'The Vault' missions - Wasteland is an identical mission set but can have different missions following.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/List_of_missions
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    I enjoyed playing all 3.5 of the different faction stories (Rom, KDF, Fed, TOS-Fed). You can pick different careers (Tac, Eng, Sci) so you get to try those different skills out too. On the ground an engineer plays much differently than a tac.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    You can click the following link to see the missions for each faction. At the start each faction has their own unique missions. I would say each faction has roughly 40 unique missions. There are some story arcs the are shared between the faction an mixed in the unique missions like Wasteland and Yesterday's War. However, once you reach the Cardassian Struggle story arc all factions will share the same missions.

The 23rd century Federation is a mini-faction of the normal Federation that allows you to create a captain from the TOS era; The Original Series. The only difference in terms of missions is the tutorial which encompasses 6 missions, and a "wrapper" mission called "The Once And Future Agent" which introduce 25th century captains to the Temporal War.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Episode

I play all 3 factions. It is nice to play the unique faction missions. The downside is I spend more Zen to purchase starships from the C-Store compared to only playing a single faction.
  • Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    So i downloaded star trek online about a week ago and chose the romulan race for my faction.

Is the rom kdf or fed align? Create another toon for the other side that you choose so you can play both side. The other 2 faction just play for the storyline until it merge then delete the toon if you dont have the time.

OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    The Romulan one is by far the best but the other factions do have unique storylines.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The beginning of the game is tedious to a veteran, but until a certain point Eng, Sci and Tac as well as Fed, KDF or Romulan actually do play very differently. If you enjoy the story content you should go for it. Just be advised that in the endgame and after some time in the story everything gets streamlined: You will get more and more universal abilities, the story plays out the same and ultiamtely all ships perform roughly equal as well. So STO is most diverse in the early levels and very uniform in the later stages.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    stee1maxstee1max Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Fed or Rom tacs and no regrets for the storyline, sooner or later you will realize replaying the episodes is the worst part of this game.
  • Options
    tiberious#6095 tiberious Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    If you're happy with your Romulan character, create a TOS Fed, Tac one preferably, to get benefits for being a Temporal Agent.

I have 5 characters, 4 at rank 60. Going forward with my Temporal Agent currently rank 20, I'll mainly be playing that and my main Fed Sci character.

I may delete my Fed Tac and Rom Sci rank 60 captains since I'm at end game and everything is starting to feel the same for both characters and ships. Just keep a Fed TOS Tac, Fed Eng and Fed Sci character as that is where the end game focus is. Too many other games I want to play.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I quite enjoyed the klinks fekhiri story arc, may just have been as it was a welcome relief to the tedium of waiting on a pvp arena to appear or the seemingly endless grind in whatever nebula they sent you to when klinks were only there as a pvp faction.

Downside is that even now klingons are pretty neglected so most of my time has been spent on the fed side.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    KDF now has plenty of T6 ships including (finally!) science after a 2-year wait. I wouldn't call them neglected any longer.