test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

TRIBBLE MAINTENANCE AND RELEASE NOTES - FEBRUARY 17, 2017

Comments

• frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I also find it weird that we beam down mines, but yet we can't beam them down on our primary target, and so it would be nice to have a doff or even mod that allows you to deploy mines at your target's location.

I would love to have fine control over the deployment of mines and bombs. Right now, we have to aim by dead reckoning and hope that we estimated the spawn position relative to our character correctly. However, spawning demolitions directly below the target wouldn't really work. NPCs tend to run away from demolitions, and by the time the bomb or mines finish arming (especially with the 6.5-second delay for mines), the NPCs would have moved out of the way. Instead of spawning demolitions directly below the target, it would be preferable to be able to click on a precise location for deployment. However, I know of no other ability that works this way; I'm not sure they have the code for it. The closest thing we have to this is being able manually position our bridge officers, and that doesn't even work correctly all the time.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    In my opinion it would be better to improve the abilities of engineers instead of nerfing them. In STFs like Brotherhood of the Sword my Drones and Generators are almost useless because they get destroyed within seconds. Tactical captain have their grenades and stuff but everything i have as an engineer can be, and will be, destroyed. If you are going to nerf engineers even more we really need a career change token

Maybe a shoulder mounted turret or a mortar-backpack that can't be destroyed instead of the current kit modules could be an option.
  • kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Very unhappy about the stealth module change, it was entirely what I liked about tactical gameplay on the ground being just like a ground version of battlecloak! This kind of ruins it for me. Apparently my fun WAS wrong.
    After reading the patch notes again, I have more questions.

Stealth aspect of Stealth Module no longer scales outside of Kit Module Rank.

This is phrased a bit strangely. If I understand correctly, it means: "The stealth aspect of Stealth Module now scales only with the rarity of the kit module."

Resolved an issue where hull regeneration rate would fluctuate excessively when entering or leaving combat.

Does this fix the issue for both Nanite-Reinforced Circuitry consoles and the leadership trait? Those are the two causes of this bug that I found when testing hull repair rates. Of course, I'm not ruling out other causes as well.

Resolved an issue where Graviton Spike would not trigger if the shot killed the target.

There's a UI bug that's been bugging me for a while. If the target is exposed and dies before I can fire an exploit shot, the secondary-fire icon in my tray continues to flash. It would be nice if it stopped blinking upon death of the target.
    qVpg1km.png
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    asuran14 wrote: »
    I also find it weird that we beam down mines, but yet we can't beam them down on our primary target, and so it would be nice to have a doff or even mod that allows you to deploy mines at your target's location.

I would love to have fine control over the deployment of mines and bombs. Right now, we have to aim by dead reckoning and hope that we estimated the spawn position relative to our character correctly. However, spawning demolitions directly below the target wouldn't really work. NPCs tend to run away from demolitions, and by the time the bomb or mines finish arming (especially with the 6.5-second delay for mines), the NPCs would have moved out of the way. Instead of spawning demolitions directly below the target, it would be preferable to be able to click on a precise location for deployment. However, I know of no other ability that works this way; I'm not sure they have the code for it. The closest thing we have to this is being able manually position our bridge officers, and that doesn't even work correctly all the time.

I agree that being able to determine the exact area you will deploy the mines would be the best option , like with a ground targetting reticle as some games use (not sure we could utilize such a feature in sto though.). There is also the fact of looking at how a change like that could be implemented in a console an pc version, with the fact of having a module or doff that makes your mines deploy on the target's location (maybe around it like within a certain distance/radius of your target). Also most of the other abilities like this that has you launch a attack on the area around your primary target, like orbital strikes or grenades, have the same fact of the enemies running out of the area of effect (which I use various science rooting/stunning abilities for this.). As such that would mean you need a method of either rooting/stunning, or drawing the targets back into the area of effect of such things. I could see maybe if it were the idea of having a mechanic module that allows you to deploy your mines/bombs on the target's location it might also reduce the arming time, while also reducing the damage of the mine/bomb to compensate for the shorter arming time an also the ability to deploy them closer to the target.
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be better to improve the abilities of engineers instead of nerfing them. In STFs like Brotherhood of the Sword my Drones and Generators are almost useless because they get destroyed within seconds. Tactical captain have their grenades and stuff but everything i have as an engineer can be, and will be, destroyed. If you are going to nerf engineers even more we really need a career change token

Maybe a shoulder mounted turret or a mortar-backpack that can't be destroyed instead of the current kit modules could be an option.

but....tactical!! you should never want to play anything but TACTICAL!!!
    Don't you know what Fun is? don't you get that this is Starfleet Tactical Online??

I like the idea of a shoulder mounted turret. Maybe like Guncannon from Gundam. but yeah. this game pretty much is Tactical Captain Online. All 7 years I've played I'VE NEVER SEEN A DEV ROLE A ENG OR SCI.

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

Don't you know what Fun is? don't you get that this is Starfleet Tactical Online??

I like the idea of a shoulder mounted turret. Maybe like Guncannon from Gundam. but yeah. this game pretty much is Tactical Captain Online. All 7 years I've played I'VE NEVER SEEN A DEV ROLE A ENG OR SCI.

How about a badass power armor suit for engineers to mount these cannons on?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
    gradii wrote: »

I actually thought that would have been a nice are drop engineer fabrication module from the Voth box, either with it being us calling down a stole Voth suit or a faction specific designed mech suit. Which could replace our normal modules for a veriety of abilities that are built into the mech, and varied based on the mech-module you used to summon it down, or maybe have the built-in abilities of the mech based on the type of modules you have other than the mecha-calling one (like universal might give one type, mechanic might give another, and fabrication gives another.), and that the stats of the mecha might be based on your gear or the mark and quality of your gear. I could see this module having either a set duration it can last after being called down, or having it being a toggle that has a variable cooldown based on how long you are in the mecha before you left it (either thru it dying or you toggling it off.).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »

this is not brotherhood of steel online​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    sarah2774 wrote: »
    nerf is bad

eng says nerf sci and tac
    tac says nerf eng and sci
    sci says nerf tac and eng

Solution give all access to other ability then no need to nerf by ground traits, That way you cannot get all ablility as there are limited ground traits.

That is possibly the dumbest thing I've read in months, and it's been a bad couple of months for stupid flying around unchecked.

That, and I'm not sure what Sarah is saying. Give all careers access to all abilities? Give everybody access to all traits? What's this about not being able to have all abilities due to limited traits? Isn't that how it already works, each player having rep and personal trait pools from which they can pick a certain number to be active at any given time?
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Gotta say I don't like the changes to the Stealth module either.

And, umm, my engs struggle on ground already where my tacs and scis manage, so diminishing the effectiveness of fabrications seems very counter-productive.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • hmkchmkc Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    Tribble has been updated to: ST.71.20170212a.4

Pulse Probe is now always treated as a control ability.
    [*] Kligat:
    • No longer always critically strikes
    • The Range is now 20 meters
    • The damage and cooldown have been reduced

NO NO...Don't touch the Kligat!
    It should Crit, great for sneak attacks!
    Next to my Type I/II Phaser it's my favorite weapon!!!!

Balance???, These changes seem to be just a lowering of standard levels which is not fun!
    Besides why balance, with the exception of resolving ie (lighting) and correcting issues (spelling) everything is working almost perfectly. With these (NURF)changes you all are doing more harm than good.

Don't do this, time would better served to work on the A.I. as to make more intelligent foes and situations!
    Kirk out!
  • sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    nerf is bad

Solution give all access to other ability then no need to nerf by ground traits, That way you cannot get all ablility as there are limited ground traits.

That is possibly the dumbest thing I've read in months, and it's been a bad couple of months for stupid flying around unchecked.

Typical, just because you don't understand you call it dumb. You should not nerf but add stuff to balance the game. You say flying around uncheck but give not solution. The solution is sarcastic in meaning since everyone not statisfied so give everyone the same strenght and ability.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    edited February 2017
    tobiashirt wrote: »
    nerf is bad

That, and I'm not sure what Sarah is saying. Give all careers access to all abilities? Give everybody access to all traits? What's this about not being able to have all abilities due to limited traits? Isn't that how it already works, each player having rep and personal trait pools from which they can pick a certain number to be active at any given time?

If you don't understand then ask don't agree it a dumb idea. No, it not how it already works as each carrers eg tac don't have sci and eng ability. Give all ability to all players. I was only suggesting trait as to retain the novelty of careers, if they give the ability in as traits then the careers can have all the ability but have to choose which ones. Trait was just an idea.
    Post edited by sarah2774 on
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • nccmax2nccmax2 Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    jfc, i always though things work like this now!
    nccmax2 wrote: »
    jfc, i always though things work like this now!

What do you mean?(things) Can you give example?
    OPv9m3F.jpg
    I guess the way I can see what Sarah is saying is that you would unlock the career specific abilities, and add a few career slots that would function something like boff slots on a ship. So a tactical officer could opt to slot the engineer career ability "Rotate shield frequency" in lieu of taking one of the normal tactical career abilities. This would mean that all three careers could produce exact same damage output in the end, but also have more potential variations of choices. Though this would be a fundamental shift an change negating in many ways the basis of having three careers, unless maybe if speccing deeply into the sub-career (science, engineer, tactical) might give you access to slotting a weaker variant of that career's career-specific abilities in lieu of their own.

It would not be a bad idea of creating more career specific abilities, while then giving the players three career ability slots that would act like boff slots kinda, and which would give the player more choices thru these slots. So like having three ground an space career-slots that you can choose to slot one of six career abilities into of each type. So maybe a engineer might have a new career-specific ability called "optimize relays" that while under the effect of might cause your ship to have the bonus cap gained form having high sub-system power level raised from 125 to 135 during that period of time. In this way you could have career specific abilities that are more inclined for dealing damage, defense, and even healing or support builds via what career-abilities you slotted.
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    Thanks, you've made Commando skills meaningless.
    edited February 2017
    Bugs

1. The cursor in the chat window is broken. On Tribble, when the chat window is selected, the cursor is not shown if the text input box is empty. On Holodeck, you can see a blinking cursor regardless of whether there is text in the input box or not. I became confused several times when trying to chat on Tribble, because my brain kept expecting to see something that wasn't there. I thought, "Didn't I just hit Enter to chat? Why can't I type? Oh wait, I can type; the cursor is just missing." Yes, the border of the text input box changes color when the chat window is selected, but that's still not visually distinctive enough. Please fix the cursor in the chat window.

2. Once Stealth Module is activated, combat actions are disabled for a period of time. The amount of time scales with the rarity of the kit module (2.5 seconds for a common module and 4.4 seconds for a very rare module). I believe this is a bug.

3. Contrary to what the patch notes say, the damage bonus of Stealth Module does not seem to scale with Kit Performance.
    Stealth Module has been re-designed:
    • Strength of damage buff scales slightly with Kit Performance and Kit Mark.

Comments on Stealth Module

1. The stealth value
    • scales with the rarity of the kit module.
    • does not scale with mark, but it didn't before either.
    • used to scale with Kit Performance, but no longer does.

2. The duration of stealth
    • does not scale with mark.
    • does not scale with Kit Performance.

3. The damage bonus
    • scales with the mark and rarity of the kit module.
    • does not scale with Kit Performance, but it didn't before either.

4. The duration of the damage bonus
    • does not scale with mark.
    • does not scale with Kit Performance.

5. Stealth Module can no longer be toggled on and off. Instead, once activated, it grants a temporary cloak that lasts 10 seconds for a common module and 17.5 seconds for a very rare module.

6. You can actually run now while cloaked.

7. The damage bonus of Stealth Module has been changed from an omni-directional attack bonus to a flanking bonus. (I don't know if Cryptic has a different definition of "flanking", but I'm going to call the new damage bonus of Stealth Module a flanking bonus, because that's the easiest way to describe it.)

8. The flanking angle of Stealth Module is not listed in the description.

9. The magnitude of the damage bonus has not changed. The duration, however, has been increased, though it's debatable how much this matters for a flanking bonus once the element of surprise is lost. I'm not sure how Cryptic expects us to use this ability. Quickly sneak behind the enemy, open fire, and then continue to chase their backsides?

Edit: Also, these changes make the module into a functionally harder to use "Ambush". The Ambush kit module would be functionally superior in every way. Please Cryptic, keep stealth module as it is; a toggle stealth buff with a minor damage bonus on decloak.

I agree: Cryptic has changed Stealth Module into a higher-stealth, weaker-damage "Ambush" that only works from behind.

Data

The following data was taken from level 60 characters with zero points in Kit Efficiency. Before testing, I disabled all traits, removed all equipment, and removed all doffs from active ground duty.

0 Kit Performance (Holodeck)

Common Stealth Module Mk VII
    +455 Stealth
    When effect ends: 8.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

Common Stealth Module Mk IX
    +455 Stealth
    When effect ends: 9.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

Very Rare Stealth Module Mk XII
    +473 Stealth
    When effect ends: 27.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

Very Rare Ambush Mk XII
    +110% All Damage for 15 sec
    +245 Stealth for 15 sec
    1 min recharge

100 Kit Performance (Holodeck)

+470 Stealth
    When effect ends: 8.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

+470 Stealth
    When effect ends: 9.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

+488 Stealth
    When effect ends: 27.5% Damage Bonus for 5 sec
    20 sec recharge

Very Rare Ambush Mk XII
    +165% All Damage for 15 sec
    +252.5 Stealth for 15 sec
    1 min recharge

0 Kit Performance (Tribble)

+456 Stealth for 10 sec
    +8.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 10 sec
    (Combat actions disabled for 2.5 sec)
    1 min recharge

+456 Stealth for 10 sec
    +9.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 10 sec
    1 min recharge

+468 Stealth for 17.5 sec
    +27.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 17.5 sec
    (Combat actions disabled for 4.4 sec)
    1 min recharge

Very Rare Ambush Mk XII
    +110% All Damage for 15 sec
    +245 Stealth for 15 sec
    1 min recharge

100 Kit Performance (Tribble)

+456 Stealth for 10 sec
    +8.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 10 sec
    1 min recharge

+456 Stealth for 10 sec
    +9.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 10 sec
    1 min recharge

+468 Stealth for 17.5 sec
    +27.5% Damage Bonus to attacks from behind for 17.5 sec
    (Combat actions disabled for 4.4 sec)
    1 min recharge

Very Rare Ambush Mk XII
    +165% All Damage for 15 sec
    +252.5 Stealth for 15 sec
    1 min recharge
    Post edited by frtoaster on
    qVpg1km.png
  • dukedom01dukedom01 Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    Dear Cryptic. Please do not forget to add an activation timer to the remaining few abilities you have missed.
    Nothing...
    says...
    fun...
    more...
    than...
    having...
    to...
    wait...
    every...
    other...
    click...

That is something that annoys me since season five.
    Ceterum censeo Otha supplendum in praemiis.
  • ccc#9312 ccc Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    > @majortiraomega said:
    > Overall these changes are fantastic. I've been saying for years that all ground skills need to have a minimum cooldown. However, I strongly dislike three of the changes listed here.
    > coldsnapped wrote: »
    >
    >
    > * Tactical Initiative (ground) now lasts 30 seconds, but only affects your own kit modules.
    > * Tactical Initiative and Chroniton Jolt now indicate that they don't affect each other.
    > * Tactical Initiative (ground) no longer puts you into combat on activation
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The entire point of running Tactical Officers is to provide team wide damage buffs and team wide cooldown reduction. This game is supposed to be a team based game. Eliminating the effects of Tactical Initiative from the entire team greatly hurts teamplay and puts the focus more on supporting oneself.
    >
    > I cannot stress enough how bad this change is to the game. I understand where this change is coming from; there is a huge problem of having too many tactical officers on this team all spamming Tactical Initiative in order to get everything on minimum cooldown. This was most notably a problem because the game never had minimum cooldowns on captain powers and many kit modules. We finally got minimum cooldowns put on many kit modules after many of us Ground PvPers submitted countless requests to Cryptic.
    >
    > This skill needs to remain team wide and effect both kit modules and captain abilities. If it does not, then players will switch to all short cooldown abilities and modules such as Overwatch or the Engineering module Equipment Diagnostics will never see play. Tactical Initiative is what allows players to run somewhat decent, but excessively long cooldown effects, such as the above mentioned Equipment Diagnostics. 90 seconds in ground combat is eternity; especially when you've got modules such as Chroniton Mine Barrier or Weapons Malfunction in completion.
    >
    >
    > * Stealth Module has been re-designed:
    > * Players can now attack when under the effect of stealth module after a period of initial time.
    > * Attacking will break the stealth aspect of the buff.
    > * Is now a duration based click ability with a 60 second cooldown, which will start when pressed
    > * Buff is now Bonus Damage when attacking from behind.
    > * Buff starts when the skill is activated but remains regardless of whether the stealth aspect of the buff is lost.
    > * Stealth aspect of Stealth Module no longer scales outside of Kit Module Rank.
    > * Strength of damage buff scales slightly with Kit Performance and Kit Mark.
    > * Duration is still improved by Stealth Module Armory Duty Officers.
    > * Overload Integrity Field can no longer trigger Expedient Repairs each time it heals an ally.
    > * Radiant Nanite Cloud no longer always shows a buff icon while slotted.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If this change were ever made in space to the Romulan Warbird Cloak there would be an uproar. Stealth Module is fun and unique because it is a toggle ability. It isn't overly powerful, but it doesn't need to be. I and many players enjoy the current functionality of the Stealth Module and would be extremely disappointed if this change were to go live.
    >
    > Edit: Also, these changes make the module into a functionally harder to use "Ambush". The Ambush kit module would be functionally superior in every way. Please Cryptic, keep stealth module as it is; a toggle stealth buff with a minor damage bonus on decloak.
    >
    >
    > * Players can no longer be affected by multiple Medical Generators, Shield Generators, Force Field Domes, Protomatter Generator Drones, or Photonic Barrier Generators at the same time.
    > * Players can still be affected by one of each.
    > * Their descriptions have been updated.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > As with Tactical Initiative, this change is extremely punishing to engineers. The Engineering captains rely heavily on their fabrications. Removing the ability to stack the effects eliminates teamplay and once again focuses on making the player build around protecting oneself only. This is a very bad design in a multiplayer game.
    >
    > Other than that, these are some great changes to the game. I'm especially looking forward to the minimum cooldowns on captain abilities and the security escort changes.

Tira: CRYING FOR YEARS. JESUS H CHRIST! SHUT THE FK UP AND BE HAPPY WITH SOMETHING! THANK YOU!
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    "Ambush" that only works from behind.

That's what she said

• chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    lucho80 wrote: »
    "Ambush" that only works from behind.

That's what she said

You have a talking ewe?
  • nulonunulonu Member Posts: 507 Arc User
    Hmm a bit surprising they'd bother. Not sure if I'll be motivated to log in though. The escort change is LONG overdue so bravo for finally getting around to it.
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I don't get it... When they rolled out the kit revamp, they also tried the "timed stealth module" thing, but then they changed it back to toggle, because people didn't like it... And now they are doing it AGAIN? What the fridge?
    edited February 2017
    Bugs

1. The cursor in the chat window is broken. On Tribble, when the chat window is selected, the cursor is not shown if the text input box is empty. On Holodeck, you can see a blinking cursor regardless of whether there is text in the input box or not. I became confused several times when trying to chat on Tribble, because my brain kept expecting to see something that wasn't there. I thought, "Didn't I just hit Enter to chat? Why can't I type? Oh wait, I can type; the cursor is just missing." Yes, the border of the text input box changes color when the chat window is selected, but that's still not visually distinctive enough. Please fix the cursor in the chat window.

It turns out that this bug affects more than just the chat window, and it occurs in whenever the cursor is in the leftmost position, not just when the text box is empty. See the thread below.

Text input boxes fail to display cursor in leftmost position

When is this build going live? Will it go live on Thursday, or will we see further balance changes on Tribble before they're all pushed to Holodeck?
    qVpg1km.png