test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

kolothdaxkolothdax Member Posts: 9 Arc User
Hello All.

I know this may seem like commonsense to most but I witnessed a situation where one player intentionally ripped off another player and got away with 155 keys.

While it was poor judgement of the female players to hand over the keys in the first place, a part of she did so because she was referred to the person by her fleet leader who meet the scumbag in question in ESD zone chat. Based on this referral she was more trusting of the thief.

Some simple rules when trading and you'll never get into trouble:

1) NEVER trade items on the promise the transaction will be completed at a future date.
2) Need to buy something more than a billion EC? Use keys. ALWAYS do it in a single transaction.

Cryptic can't protect you from making a poor decision on a trade. And with predators around like this you need to spread the word about this type of scam and the person who is going around trying to do it. He is actually proud of himself too.. I saw him brag in a channel about it and then get banned.

Lastly, the community reaction that I have seen to this incident is touching. Many players have contributed something to try and give her something back. She saved a few years worth of stipends and when it was taken from her she was devastated. I can only imagine that she feel better now after seeing how the community reacted.

I am just doing my part to ensure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Regards,
Koloth

PS: I have carefully consider this post to not violate the Community Rules. I checked against the following criteria.

1) Flaming and/or Trolling - I am warning the community not insulting a player.

2) Harassing Material (repetitively insulting, defaming and/or otherwise harassing) - Some of you may think I am defaming the player I named above but when you look at what defaming actually means:

Defame: damage the good reputation of (someone); slander or libel.

libel, slander, malign, cast aspersions on, smear, traduce, blacken the name/character of, give someone a bad name, defame someone's character, sully someone's reputation, run down, speak ill/evil of, back-bite, run a smear campaign against, calumniate, vilify, besmirch, tarnish, stigmatize, disparage, denigrate, discredit, decry, insult, lie about, tell lies about

So to defame someone is normally done with lies and slander from baseless "facts". However, I have offered proof of this xbcstoners actions and he isn't denying it yet. He laughs when he recalls the "Thanks for the free keys. CYA! comment he made before beaming out.

Obscene/Vulgar/Inappropriate Objectionable Material - None here.

Posting Private Correspondence - None here.

Hate Speech - None here.

Post edited by jodarkrider on

Comments

• kolothdaxkolothdax Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    The truth is the truth
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    truth like this with a name attached is considered 'naming and shaming' by mods unfortunately
  • kolothdaxkolothdax Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    That isn't my intention. It is to warn other players about him.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    hope it works, before the thread gets locked :)
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    From what I've gathered in several chat channels, that person is a problematic type of player indeed.

Haven't had any personal issues with him, but I've seen more people complain about him.
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    Obligatory Inb4 lock

That being said I am aware of said person and that he is a known troublemaker in the game. The information is good to share, so if those of us who have seen this be sure to stay alert and alert others if we see any similar behavior going on, whether it be this user or anyone else.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    kolothdax wrote: »
    Sadly, you haven't offered any proof since screenshots can be faked. Thus, you're in violation of the TOS. That's why they have that in the first place.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »
    Sadly, you haven't offered any proof since screenshots can be faked. Thus, you're in violation of the TOS. That's why they have that in the first place.

I'm interested to see how you fake a screenshot so that it would appear like a legitimate STO chat conversation.
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    tempus64 wrote: »

I'm interested to see how you fake a screenshot so that it would appear like a legitimate STO chat conversation.

Really? Wow. Who made the image in your sig? You think someone couldn't do the same thing to make up a fake conversation in the chat box? It's easy.
  • grendelthewise#0990 grendelthewise Member Posts: 640 Arc User
    I'll be on the hunt for him in game.
    Fleet Admiral of the U.S.S. ATTILA KHAN-CDA (NX-921911).
  • comrademococomrademoco Member Posts: 1,694 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2017
    The trade systen has a 'confirm option' for that very reason, both parties can accept the deal but the confirm button must be pushed by both parties as well...

But op, I suggest, strongly suggest you don't bring up the TOS and that you do remove the name ... Specially when you actually are name/shamming, even the person deserves it...
    Post edited by comrademoco on
    6tviTDx.png

• azuries#1043 azuries Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Removed comment as I realised you are talking about pc and I was talking about Xbox lol.
    Post edited by azuries#1043 on
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    The truth is the truth

The actions you described are deplorable, however rules are rules, and it is against the rules to post someone's ingame name on the forums.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    As terrible as this is and not sure why you made this gender specific... The only person breaking the rules at all is you by naming him in this thread, he technically has done nothing against the game rules, this is something your friend will have to learn a costly lesson from.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    @tempus64 The image in my sig is an actual screenshot of a ship in the game that I wrote some text on.
    Really bad comparison to support your claim about faked screenshot.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    thnks for the info. i would suggest contacting the gm through the web page with the evidence. i am sure the team will show him 155 keys of grey...

zone chat is the ultimate villain
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    The trade system is pretty safe with multiple confirmations before a transaction is final. Sorry your friend got ripped off, but she should have known better.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    @tempus64 The image in my sig is an actual screenshot of a ship in the game that I wrote some text on.
    Really bad comparison to support your claim about faked screenshot.

Because as long as someone can match the text that STO chat uses, then they can create proof of you saying whatever despicable thing they want you to say. For example, I could create "proof" where you say that Star Trek V and Threshold are the best Star Trek movie and Star Trek episode when the actual discussion involved something innocent.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    Naming and shaming you say?

200.gif
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    How much have people given her so far? I'd be willing to pitch in what i can.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    @jodarkrider please review this thread and take appropriate action. Thank you.

@mods please review the threads and posts that @v......h made and take appropriate action. Thank you.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    The truth is the truth

Indeed... and the truth will set you free... in this case, free from the forums and possibly the game, because you will be banned for breaking the ToS.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    It was definitely deplorable actions and why I do not do private trades with anyone except family members/trusted friends.

The only thing I have to say about it is What goes around comes around. That person will get what's coming to them in time.

What you sow, you will also reap. Remember when you sow seeds, such seeds will multiply. So sow good seeds whenever you can, for you will not be able to withstand the horrors of sowing bad seeds when it comes back on you ;)
    Post edited by echatty on
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    I appreciate this information. Sadly, there are some people who are in this game and take advantage of others. These types of people should be banned permanently from the game.

For all those people who simply post a comment about the forum rules, this is not necessary and you add absolutely nothing to the thread.
  • haxxsaw#9362 haxxsaw Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    kelador wrote: »
    As terrible as this is and not sure why you made this gender specific... The only person breaking the rules at all is you by naming him in this thread, he technically has done nothing against the game rules, this is something your friend will have to learn a costly lesson from.

And it is people like you who tend to ignore the real victim by placing blame on them and some type of sympathy for the culprit who make this type of situation even more sad.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    I appreciate this information. Sadly, there are some people who are in this game and take advantage of others. These types of people should be banned permanently from the game.

For all those people who simply post a comment about the forum rules, this is not necessary and you add absolutely nothing to the thread.

... we are attempting to save the OP from a forum vacation ... rules are rules and this one is usually strictly enforced
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
This discussion has been closed.