test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"My God,man! A T6 NX issued before a T6 Miranda! Are you out of your vulcan MIND?"

Comments

• keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Perhaps they are going in date order so few dozen more TOS erier ships to go before a Miranda :P
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    I would love to see a T6 Miranda, as it was canon. And as mentioned previously, they were still in use throughout TNG and DS9 (and while they did blow up a lot, if you watch the Dominion War episodes on DS9, the Miranda's always were in the "Destroyer Wing" being ordered everywhere. Kinda lends credence to them being Tac ships)
  • jkwrangler2010jkwrangler2010 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    From Memory-Alpha: "The Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Technical Manual describes this vessel [U.S.S. Centaur] as an Excelsior-class starship variant, describing it as being among the ships "constructed from salvaged components, components in work, and custom assemblies fabricated by the individual fleet yards."

Starfleet probably recommissioned old ships due to the needs of the Dominion War. While a lot of Miranda-class ships were still being used for light duty, most were probably sitting in storage somewhere. Militaries around the world keep older vehicles/ships in storage to be scavenged for parts and to be pushed back in to duty if needed. The U.S. Air Force stores/decommissions old aircraft at the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Center at Davis-Monthan AFB, Tucson, AZ. The U.S. Navy has reserve fleets "Ghost Fleets" on both and west and east coasts.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    you mean like this one?

latest?cb=20140824020425&path-prefix=en
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    At this point, why not?

And I'd love to see the Planck-class in STO.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    Best line in thread: "Just keep making noise and eventually your completely nonsensical request will be fulfilled."

So true.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    While a T6 Miranda is one of the few remaining ships I'd buy, I'd rather see a T6 22nd century Intrepid first :)

nv_intrepid_ortho__updated__by_unusualsuspex-d77kgc4.jpg
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I find people arguing against the Miranda hilarious. Nothing is ridiculous anymore. I thought the Temporal Light Cruiser was pretty stupid, but now we have the NX in the lobi store. At this rate we could have a T6 Phoenix and I wouldn't blink.
    Tza0PEl.png
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I find people arguing against the Miranda hilarious. Nothing is ridiculous anymore. I thought the Temporal Light Cruiser was pretty stupid, but now we have the NX in the lobi store. At this rate we could have a T6 Phoenix and I wouldn't blink.

Phoenix T6 shuttle? Yes please! T6 22nd century Shuttlepod first though please!
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    The Intrepid is such an ugly ship, but I really want it for some reason! :P

Of course, they'll probably put in the Lobi store...
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Everyone has something that they are waiting for. One of my wishes has been fulfilled though... a T6 science vessel specifically for the KDF and RR factions.

Still waiting for the T6 Vor'cha battle cruiser though...
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Just throwing this out there for consideration. This year is the 35th anniversary of The Wrath of Khan. An end-game Miranda, even a T5-U, would make me a very happy player.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
    Just throwing this out there for consideration. This year is the 35th anniversary of The Wrath of Khan. An end-game Miranda, even a T5-U, would make me a very happy player.

Sounds like a great reason to make the summer promo-box ship a Miranda
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »

You and me both...
    Tza0PEl.png
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

Agreed, there's no good reason not to have an endgame Miranda, especially when every other T1 ship - well, except the Oberth - is available at T6.

But equally, railing against the Temporal Connie and NX-refit is also comically missing the point; the link between tier and (in-universe) size or age was explicitly abandoned in 2012, with the release of fleet ships. After that, all you're really left with is popularity and/or licensing; frankly, Cryptic showed remarkable restraint in waiting this long.
  • kekvinkekvin Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    Personally they should just scrap the tier system and just have upgradable ships. Stats/ officer seats unlockable based on your level
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    Anything us possible... for 6 years we were "told" "No endgame Connie", then we got 2 different ones within months of each other, and now a T6 NX class, and 23rd century dreads. sooooo.. Ill be waiting patiently to add a T6 Miranda class ti my hangar as well :) But of course, we need a T6 Nova/RI first...
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    staq16 wrote: »

Agreed, there's no good reason not to have an endgame Miranda, especially when every other T1 ship - well, except the Oberth - is available at T6.

But equally, railing against the Temporal Connie and NX-refit is also comically missing the point; the link between tier and (in-universe) size or age was explicitly abandoned in 2012, with the release of fleet ships. After that, all you're really left with is popularity and/or licensing; frankly, Cryptic showed remarkable restraint in waiting this long.

*nods*

Also, I'd day ship Tiers have pretty much become obsoleted because of people generally, and easily, reaching lv. 50 within the first 2 weeks of playing. That argument cuts both ways, though: you make Admiral so fast, there's no point in reworking the whole ship Tier system for it. Besides, even for as short as it takes, it really *is* a good thing that you can't immediately fly everything on your first day.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • zerokillcf2011zerokillcf2011 Member Posts: 545 Arc User

Phoenix T6 shuttle? Yes please! T6 22nd century Shuttlepod first though please!

So odd question on Lobi shuttles and small ships: I was poking around on the exchange last night and saw the lobi small craft going for well over 100 mill ec. Do they actually SELL at that price? Same for the Liberated Romulan Science officer, one listed at 125 mill, the rest over 500 mill. Do those sell, or just wishful thinking listings?
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    staq16 wrote: »

*nods*

Also, I'd day ship Tiers have pretty much become obsoleted because of people generally, and easily, reaching lv. 50 within the first 2 weeks of playing. That argument cuts both ways, though: you make Admiral so fast, there's no point in reworking the whole ship Tier system for it. Besides, even for as short as it takes, it really *is* a good thing that you can't immediately fly everything on your first day.

My AoY alt was level 60 in about 1-2 days thanks to the xp weekend (didn't play him the first week just so I could power level, lol)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User

So odd question on Lobi shuttles and small ships: I was poking around on the exchange last night and saw the lobi small craft going for well over 100 mill ec. Do they actually SELL at that price? Same for the Liberated Romulan Science officer, one listed at 125 mill, the rest over 500 mill. Do those sell, or just wishful thinking listings?

100 Mil would actually make some sense - a shuttle is, what, 300 lobi vs 900 for a T6 ship - and the latter seem to go for around 300M EC or a bit more.
  • panicbutton5panicbutton5 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    jaguarskx wrote: »
    Everyone has something that they are waiting for. One of my wishes has been fulfilled though... a T6 science vessel specifically for the KDF and RR factions.

Me too. I would have been completely content if I had been lucky enough to get a D7. Sadly holding out hope for a T6 Vor'cha now.
  • painfullylargepainfullylarge Member Posts: 174 Arc User
    I would much rather have a T6 Oberth. In fact, give it a 5/1 fore/aft weapons (or at least 4/2), 0 device slots, and 1/5/5 console configuration.

Or if you can't give it a nice little tactical flavor...how about making it a "true" sci ship. 2/2 fore/aft, 5 device slots, 2/7/2 console config. Something that screams for an exotic-only build.
    A T6 Miranda would actually be a nice opportunity to introduce a ship with commander tac, commander eng, and commander sci variants, each utilizing a different mission pod
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    More than likely if they do a T6 miranda, it will be in the lobi store or a lockbox unlock.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    A T5/T5-F Miranda would have been a nice addition as "T5 secondary ship" in the Undiscovered lockbox :).
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Quit picking on my Miranda!!

I do not name the U.S.S. Token Red Shirt for nothing!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    First, I'm all for the Planck being in game, it's a heck of a ship.

I also like the Intrepid though calling it Intrepid class is a bit of a stretch since Voyager is of the Intrepid class. Make her an NX class, or an NX Gamma class.
    I always though the Luna-Class was a spiritual successor of the Miranda-Class.
    I always thought the immediate successor to the Miranda was the Nebula. Then the Nebula to the Luna. Where IS the tier 6 Luna by the way anyway?

ssbn655 wrote: »
    Well with the DOD holding the wallet and talking the talk Lockheed Martin magicly figured out that a 3/4 of a billion price reduction was a doable. Like I said money talks both in the game and in real life.

Well that's easier when you also reduce the numbers in the order. That said, the F-35 was always a piece of TRIBBLE anyway.
    The idea of a T6 Miranda is simply ridiculous. As said before, it's the 'red shirt' of the fleet.. the garbage they send into the battle to draw fire off the good ships. People think that just because you see them on screen in current Star Trek that it was somehow refit and turned into some awesome fighting machine.. it's scrap.

Now, while the idea of a T6 version is asinine and completely stupid.. so is the idea of a T6 Connie and the dumbest thing ever.. a T6 NX class. With that in mind, I'm absolutely certain that a T6 Miranda is on the horizon. It might not make any sense, but we're talking about a game where everyone in Star Fleet is an Admiral flying around in Iconian ships the size of a small moon.

What makes sense is irrelivant, if they think it will sell, they'll make it. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid though. Just keep making noise and eventually your completely nonsensical request will be fulfilled.

The only possible rationalization is that they're temporal ships outfitted to be an NX or a Miranda or a Constitution in external cosmetics only. You can't refit a 22nd or 23rd century ship to something equivalent to an advanced 25th century starship, the upgrades you're making would be building a new ship. Look at what it took to bring the 2245 built Enterprise from mid 23rd century to late 23rd century 2272 standard in ST: TMP. You might as well just build it from scratch.
    If you're talking about the Miranda and not Nebula, why would you want it?

In ds9, during the Dominion war, they were all destroyed immediately. I mean, some of them we f**ked up. I asked why they were still using a ship from the Wrath of Khan days?

When watching ds9, I began to see the Miranda as the red shirt crewman on ToS. If I saw that ship, I was like, "Oh, they're gonna die."

On a side note:
    Why did Starfleet have Mirandas kicking around to use in the Dominican war but no Constitution classes? I think the producers felt the audience wouldn't like to see the "Enterprise" get slaughtered. Starfleet must have had a ton of these ships kicking around and thought, "Why not use thsee against the Jem'Hadar? It'll get rid of these finally and make some room."

Well there were HUGE rules about not using the Constitution in the TNG era, like the Stargazer was originally supposed to be a Connie but they punked out at the last moment. It was really weird to me.

Also the Miranda is a younger ship class than the Constitution. The Constitution is circa 2245 the Miranda is contemporary with the refit so it's around 2270. And Starfleet had concluded they'd pushed the Constitution as far as they could by 2290, heck by 2285. That said, it should be noted that we did lose a Constitution Refit at Wolf 359. They pulled her out of mothballs for the cause.

But the Constitution was designed to be a front line deep space exploration ship. The Mirandas were always scout ships, patrol vessels, ships that weren't required to go far abroad. When you're calling ships up for a massive war, the ships on deep space exploration are the LAST ones to get to the party while the patrol ships within Federation space are always close at hand.
    kekvin wrote: »
    Personally they should just scrap the tier system and just have upgradable ships. Stats/ officer seats unlockable based on your level

Well...yeah.

tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • rhazedurilerhazedurile Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    kekvin wrote: »

There is much wisdom in the above post.

Put any other "specials" like universal consoles in the Z-Store along with ship "costumes" as different unlocks for upgrades to the standard ship classes.

Technically, that is what they're doing now, I know, but I like the idea of being able to select the ship I want to fly, and then purchasing upgrade tokens for different tiers. If I want to fly an Oberth for the entire progress of my captain (and I totally would, btw...love that oddball little ship), then I would buy tier upgrade tokens all the way up the chain.
    dZWjlSs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.