test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Since it seems a Cardassian faction is off the table.....

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    what they need is a c-store cardassian weapon and uniform pack

Add in a C-Store purchasable unlock for the character creator so someone can make a Cardassian player character as well.
    That ought to hold the Spoonhead fans for a bit.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I just want to see race unlocks across the board. I see no reason why a human can't join the RR, an Orion join the Federation, or a Reman join the KDF...
    One does not merely join the RR.....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    I just want to see race unlocks across the board. I see no reason why a human can't join the RR, an Orion join the Federation, or a Reman join the KDF...
    One does not merely join the RR.....

Okay there, Boromir...
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • boachevboachev Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »

But let us face it, given the investment a STO captain at endgame requires to be at the upper end of the scale, very few people would have a Cardassian main. Most players would make one, play him a while and from time to time, spend some money on him to reward the development team's efforts, and then return to their main.

Probably the case.

Though ever since I rolled my AlienGen "Hirogen" I've barely touched my Fed main. Haven't even bothered with the new FEs or the Anniversary Event, been enjoying my hunter too much.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    A Cardassian faction with Alpha Quadrant bred Vorta and Jem'hadar could easily fit in with the current plot line as Cardassia is already apart of the Alliance and figures into many missions, so it would not be hard to create a Cardassian faction, compared to say Borg Cooperative, Breen, Dominion, Terran, or Kazon factions would be.

So a Cardassian faction would be doable pretty easily like what was done for the Romulans, a lot of it's already set up in the plotline.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    New factions do make sense, if they are set up in a way so that they can be easily integrated into the main storyline and don't require too much attention afterwards. In that sense, TOS is a perfect addition.

Cardassia is for some strange reason still rebuilding 30 years after the war, and doesn't really have its own military, except for a very small space policing force (this could be seen as similar to Japan in the 1970s). Sure that force will have a few ships, but a player character Cardassian would be destined for greater things, so he'd join a bigger military at some point in their career (as in, after the minifaction-specific missions are through) and would use their ships and crews, even at endgame.

That's a conceivable way how a Cardassian mini-faction could work.

But let us face it, given the investment a STO captain at endgame requires to be at the upper end of the scale, very few people would have a Cardassian main. Most players would make one, play him a while and from time to time, spend some money on him to reward the development team's efforts, and then return to their main.

I like the idea. It would work ship-wise like a reverse Romulan. Tiers 1, 2, and maybe 3 are restricted to Cardassian only. 4, 5, and 6 are for the faction you choose. Couple it with a Delta/Temporal event and you've got me sold.
    One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    A Cardassian faction with Alpha Quadrant bred Vorta and Jem'hadar could easily fit in with the current plot line as Cardassia is already apart of the Alliance and figures into many missions, so it would not be hard to create a Cardassian faction, compared to say Borg Cooperative, Breen, Dominion, Terran, or Kazon factions would be.

So a Cardassian faction would be doable pretty easily like what was done for the Romulans, a lot of it's already set up in the plotline.
    Ooohh... Kazon....

Breen: boring
    Terrans: E-vile
    Borg: nice idea, but it'd take a lot of work to make.
    Dominion would also take a lot of work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • themadprofessor#9835 themadprofessor Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    I want a Mirror Recruit event similar to how they did with Agents of Yesteryear.
    Space Barbie Extraordinaire. Got a question about Space Barbie? Just ask.

Things I want in STO:

1) More character customization options such as more clothing options, letting the toon complexion affect the entire body, not just the head. Also a true RGB color picker applied to all costume and appearance options, which would allow for true appearance customization and homogenous colors instead of "this same exact color looks vastly different on two different pieces."
    2) Bridge customization, not bridge packs. Let us pick a general layout and adjust the color palette, console appearance, and chair types, as well as more ready room layout options.
    3) Customizable ground weapons, i.e. The aesthetic look of phaser dual pistols but they shoot antiproton bolts. For obvious reasons this would only apply to standard ground weapons.
    4) For the love of Q please revamp Plasma Ground Weapons. They look like demented Supersoakers right now.
    5) True Vanity Impulse and Deflector effects similar to Vanity Shields.
    6) A greater payout for hitting T6 Reputations. Currently it takes more time and resources to get from T5 to T6 than it does to get from nothing to T5. Make that grind really pay out at the end.
    7) Mirrorverse Refugee event similar to AoY/Delta/Gamma, complete with new Mirrorverse recruits for all factions.
    8) Independent Faction, because yo ho yo ho a pirate's life for me!
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Seriously... Bringing up the C's again is just beating a dead horse.
    One that was dead since before Mirror was released.
  • andorianblueandorianblue Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    I'd like to see Cardassians as a playable race. They play a big part in Star Trek so it makes sense that players would want to it. To me, it makes more sense to have them than some of the other playable races already in the game, like the Letheans (who were featured in a total of two episodes) or the Rigellians (who were also only in two episodes).

I think having it as a Cstore race available to both Fed and KDF makes the most sense. Having another half-faction in the game just seems silly to me, plus two of the most recognizable Cardassian ships are already lockbox prizes. As Cardassian uniforms and weapons, make them available at the lobi store.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    I'm torn over the whole Faction thing. Mostly because I think STO would've been better if set up as a 3 Faction game from the beginning: FED, KDF, ROM, and adding mini-Factions (Cardassians, Ferengi, etc.) later using the Romulan alliance mechanic. But we didn't get that.

I feel like the Cardassians should be their own mini-Faction, that gets folded into FED or allowed to ally like ROM, but I can't help but think that we've gone on too long for that now. There's now too much to get them caught up with the other Factions in the game. And the likelihood of getting playable Cardassians wouldn't come until Cryptic rolls out a Gamma Quadrant Expansion. Being that as it may, the best I think we can hope for is a playable race for either one or all of the Factions.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    They should at least add them as a select-able species for Feds with their own unique trait.
  • fluffymooffluffymoof Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    I'm torn over the whole Faction thing. Mostly because I think STO would've been better if set up as a 3 Faction game from the beginning: FED, KDF, ROM, and adding mini-Factions (Cardassians, Ferengi, etc.) later using the Romulan alliance mechanic. But we didn't get that.

The core issue with 3 factions winds up being PvP. It's simpler (MUCH simpler) to have two factions when it comes to PvP compared to three.

Drawing from WoW, it would not be feasible to have a place like Alterac Valley with 3 factions, because you ahve to kill off two sides instead of just one. You could theoretically lose just by going on offense (A kills B's leader and C kills A's. Since C's is still alive, C wins). So War Campaigns like this are just right out.

You could do Capture the Flag, but only if there's one flag to cap. You could do a Resource Run kind of affair also, but with three factions, it could go on for a while.

One of the many Tellarite Goddesses of Beauty!

If there are posts here that do not appeal to you, or opinions you disagree with, the best way to deal with that is to resist the urge to add comments. Instead, engage with the content you like! Don't feed the trolls!
  • mkm1911#2674 mkm1911 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    I've been saving open character spaces for this, so I hope it'll still come to fruition
  • ktonof1aqktonof1aq Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    This needs to be one of those "most created" threads.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,248 Community Moderator
    fluffymoof wrote: »

The core issue with 3 factions winds up being PvP. It's simpler (MUCH simpler) to have two factions when it comes to PvP compared to three.

Drawing from WoW, it would not be feasible to have a place like Alterac Valley with 3 factions, because you ahve to kill off two sides instead of just one. You could theoretically lose just by going on offense (A kills B's leader and C kills A's. Since C's is still alive, C wins). So War Campaigns like this are just right out.

You could do Capture the Flag, but only if there's one flag to cap. You could do a Resource Run kind of affair also, but with three factions, it could go on for a while.

Except that's a moot point since the only PvP in STO now is the forums and zone chat. :D
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    just use tzenkethi proto-matter bombs on spoonhead worlds... and the issue is resolved for the best
  • korithian1korithian1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    While I'd like to see them as a faction, I wish they would just add them as a C-Store unlock so that I don't have to use Alien, meaning on click at the image designer could turn me into a anything.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    fluffymoof wrote: »

Except that's a moot point since the only PvP in STO now is the forums and zone chat. :D
    Don't forget the exchange.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    They should at least add them as a select-able species for Feds with their own unique trait.

Yeah...that is what I'm really hoping for now.
    But... Card's aren't Feds. They are questionable allies, but not members... and the rest are enemies.
    Wasn't the main C's on DS9 in the show just 'diplomats/spies' and all that. Of course that was before the wars, but still...
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    wendysue53 wrote: »
    But... Card's aren't Feds. They are questionable allies, but not members... and the rest are enemies.
    Wasn't the main C's on DS9 in the show just 'diplomats/spies' and all that. Of course that was before the wars, but still...

theres a Cardi at every major war briefing cinematic... I'd say they have a fair part of what little they're allowed to have militarily invested in this alliance, thus a race unlock for either faction is sensible imo... and I hate the spoonheads
    wendysue53 wrote: »

theres a Cardi at every major war briefing cinematic... I'd say they have a fair part of what little they're allowed to have militarily invested in this alliance, thus a race unlock for either faction is sensible imo... and I hate the spoonheads

...and they aren't the only ones. There were some spoonheads in Delta Quad, but I forget which species.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Any future addon faction will probably be done just like the Romulans were. It is in the game and it is working as intended. And how Cardassian would it be to have five. maybe six Cardassian specific tutorial missions and then drop off into the faction neutral storyline we all play?

Next, the Obsidian Order. Which is what the we-want-Cardassians crowd is really hoping for. Just like the we-want-Tal Shiar groupies were. Wouldn't this be playing as a monster? To do it properly the rest of the playerbase would have to have shoot on sight orders. Such chars would likely be excluded from teaming with anyone for any game content other than other Cardassians. Who are also part of the Obsidian Order.

I still think a C-Store unlock, such as the Caitians or Ferasans are, is the way to go on this.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,820 Arc User
    Any future addon faction will probably be done just like the Romulans were. It is in the game and it is working as intended. And how Cardassian would it be to have five. maybe six Cardassian specific tutorial missions and then drop off into the faction neutral storyline we all play?

Next, the Obsidian Order. Which is what the we-want-Cardassians crowd is really hoping for. Just like the we-want-Tal Shiar groupies were. Wouldn't this be playing as a monster? To do it properly the rest of the playerbase would have to have shoot on sight orders. Such chars would likely be excluded from teaming with anyone for any game content other than other Cardassians. Who are also part of the Obsidian Order.

I still think a C-Store unlock, such as the Caitians or Ferasans are, is the way to go on this.

I always figured if they ever got a faction it would be just like the Romulans...they would fit rather perfectly in a similar story and situation...Romulans have the Tal Shiar and Cardassians have the True Way.

But since they decided to release the Keldon I figure the faction isn't going to happen...so hoping for a race unlock...maybe a decent space racial trait!