test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PRESS STATEMENT: PWE layoffs = no effect on ☪ STO ☪

This week, Perfect World Entertainment did experience a reduction in staff of under 30 employees. Perfect World employs thousands of people from all over the world and decisions like this are always difficult. However, we are incredibly grateful for the contributions of those individuals impacted and will do our best to help each of them through this transition. This reduction in workforce will not impact any of the games published by Perfect World Entertainment

http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/03/rumor-perfect-world-is-undergoing-layoffs-damage-extent-unknown/

Comments

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I think it's amazing how companies can issue a statement that contains more than 50 words and only one actual fact.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    4c9.gif
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    I don't know what lead up to this but it seems in every compnay when there is a change in leadership layoffs follow. In many cases it's simply the new boss wants a fresh page and nobody hired by the last one in his upper tier of managers or team leaders. Don't know if thats the case here but if it is it is a rotten move if that what transpired here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Well, they just tweated that Cryptic was hiring for all sorts of positions.

@trekonlinegame: Cryptic Studios is hiring for many new positions! Check out our openings:

https://www.crypticstudios.com/openings
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    A tactic to clean house of people with "bloated salarys" only to rehire those positions at a much lower rate to save money?
    But senior community manager isnt listed on the jobs page.
    The one laying off is PWE, the one hiring is Cryptic. So the people that actually do stuff and make the game need more people and the ones that don't, the bean counters, and the directors of 'grindology' don't.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    A tactic to clean house of people with "bloated salarys" only to rehire those positions at a much lower rate to save money?
    But senior community manager isnt listed on the jobs page.

Classical business model for fast and cheap labor. In the past 7 years we have seen real good people leaving this side of PWE. CaptainSmirk. Lots people hate him but he was so cool doing twitch events and lots of freebies for the community. Who can forget Brandon? He was probably the greatest PWE community manager there was...long gone and yes lay offs took their turn.

Even Mr EPs (exec producer) took their turn...this is what number 3 or 4 already in 7 years? wow talk about job stability.

tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    forgetting something. Cryptic is owned by PWE, right (or am I reversing that again?)? But it's a sub-company, not the same one.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Hey it is a perfect time for all of you who gloat they can do better to put up or shut up.

Apply now!
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    what he said.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    "However, we are incredibly grateful for the contributions of those individuals impacted and will do our best to help each of them through this transition."

Then hire her back already.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @meimeitoo I like that passage. What [i]exactly[/i] does a company do for laid off employees? They get the letter and are never mentioned ever again. But of course the company "helps". It helps those to seek "new challenges" or to "broaden their horizon".
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Hey guys,

Just to clear this up, there haven't been any layoffs at Cryptic.
  • theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    Hey guys,

While that is really great to hear; certain staff which officially was with PWE is beloved enough within the STO/Cryptic community to be worried. We ain't no kid community; most adults here probably understand very well that there would not be any layoffs if everything was awesome.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "However, we are incredibly grateful for the contributions of those individuals impacted and will do our best to help each of them through this transition."

Then hire her back already.

Yep, I think that qualifies as "will do our best" :)
    coolbatman wrote: »
    ......always wondered what blizzard would do with this game if they got their hands on it.....

When was the last time you took a look at WoW? Blizzard would utterly destroy STO in their try to balance everything out, streamline everything (nothing to distribute at levelups), would enforce a hard holy trinity, then would announce a big (to be payed for) expansion pack for 1 year later which gets cancelled after 3 years of development together with the rest of the main game.

STO is good where it is. Sure, Cryptic could take a page from Blizzards Q/A playbook (or even several... or the whole book :p ) but other than that: No thanks.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    Hey guys,

"Look, Igor, the monster lives!"

If you had read my posts up above you would have known that PWE was the one laying off but Cryptic was HIRING.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    Sad to see that Trendy was let go (or anyone for that matter) But I was sort of sad that she wasn't as active with the STO community anymore when she was promoted (...at least that's what I heard happened, I could be wrong about that fact).

While we can't really know what's going on behind the scenes and why these decisions are really made, it always seems like it's the Customer Service and Community Reps that get hit by these layoffs more than other positions within PWI. CS and CR's are an incredibly valuable asset to any MMO company, especially with the slow down of communication between the game makers and the community over the last year since AOY was released and the promotion of it died down. It's bad enough that they seem to be made to juggle several game communities at once, the constant fear of being let go has to add to an already incredibly stressful job.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    If you had read my posts up above you would have known that PWE was the one laying off but Cryptic was HIRING.
    Lots of people fail to draw the distinction, sharp as it is.

OTOH, like the man said, if you think you can do a better job than the current crew - Cryptic is hiring!!​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Hey guys,

While that is really great to hear; certain staff which officially was with PWE is beloved enough within the STO/Cryptic community to be worried. We ain't no kid community; most adults here probably understand very well that there would not be any layoffs if everything was awesome.

I'm betting nobody in the upper management at PWE are taking a pay cut, either.

This layoff continues to give me the impression this is a purge, not a "restructuring". 30 employees (out of thousands) doesn't really tell me that PWE is in a financial crunch and had their hands forced to make "tough decisions". This is about the bean counters getting tired of having to face reality through employees like LaughingTrendy who actually show a genuine interest in their customers and have tried to make a meaningful change within the company for the benefit of those customers.

PWE wants to surround themselves with Yes Men who want to reinforce their beliefs that everything, is in fact, awesome.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    I never said or implied that I could do a better job. I recently retired from an IT job after 39 years, don't need any more of that. :)
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alethkiraenalethkiraen Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    Hey guys,

Just remember to turn down the PWE 'promotion' when it's your turn and enjoy the confused look on their faces.
    fRhmZXV.gif
    To boldly funk where no-one has funked before.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    ltminns wrote: »
    I never said or implied that I could do a better job. I recently retired from an IT job after 39 years, don't need any more of that. :)
    Oh, I wasn't referring to you (necessarily :smile: ), I was referring to all those folks in these forums who proclaim that the only reason their favorite change doesn't happen is because the developers are all either lazy, incompetent, or both. So, y'all think you can do better? Prove it - and get paid for doing so!

(This actually works, too. One of the devs on Champions, Kaizerin, started off as just another player who was terribly dissatisfied with the costume parts and combinations available. She was particularly against the idea of disallowing a combination just because it would clip - sometimes clipping can look awesome! So she built her own costume software, then she applied to work there, and now we have better costumes than ever thanks in part to her efforts.)​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    Am I the only one here who could NAWT care less because she's a pro & will be employed soon enough? Her good name & stellar rep will open doors the wee minds here can barely conceptualize. Probably be a whole lot happier, too. Sure she might miss some things about the old job (a few friends most likely) but this is life. We should be happy for her.
    Post edited by nickodaemus on
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Am I the only one here who could care less because she's a pro & will be employed soon enough? Her good name & stellar rep will open doors the wee minds here can barely conceptualize. Probably be a whole lot happier, too. Sure she might miss some things about the old job (a few friends most likely) but this is life. We should be happy for her.

By exactly how much less could you care?

It's 'could't care' less, not 'could care less'. That means you do care, at least a little.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nickodaemusnickodaemus Member Posts: 711 Arc User
    edited February 2017
    artan42 wrote: »
    Am I the only one here who could care less because she's a pro & will be employed soon enough? Her good name & stellar rep will open doors the wee minds here can barely conceptualize. Probably be a whole lot happier, too. Sure she might miss some things about the old job (a few friends most likely) but this is life. We should be happy for her.

It's 'could't care' less, not 'could care less'. That means you do care, at least a little.

Actually, it's COULDN'T. So if you are going to go all "typing/grammar police", I'd recommend you double check yours first jag-oaf.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    artan42 wrote: »

Actually, it's COULDN'T. So if you are going to go all "typing/grammar police", I'd recommend you double check yours first jag-oaf.

Amazing, you do pay attention.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!