test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Da big *NEW TREK TV SHOW* thread!

Comments

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    We've got the name of the new lead character now...

Lieutenant Commander Rainsford

Found it here...

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/star-trek-discovery-what-we-know-so-far-201737992.html

B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    Oh, so it's another prequel like Enterprise? Alright then.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    DSC is set ten years prior to TOS right? I wonder what the reason they didn't recast Ben Cross was?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    So, my theory of DSC being about the genesis of Sarek's peace initiative with the Klingons... ain't dead! :smiley:
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
    edited January 2017
    So NOW, they are willing to be "flexible" with the release date of the show...

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/star-trek-discovery-stuck-in-spacedock/

Perhaps maybe Fuller will be coming back, maybe they decided his guiding hand is necessary for it to be the Hit show they want it to be.

Here's hoping...

I'm thinking we may not see this now till the fall of 2017.

B)
    I think you're right.

And, I wonder about the Fuller thing, too. That drama seems unnecessary, now in retrospect...
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    Doug Jones tweeted today that they started shooting the pilot
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User

Why does this sound like they're trying to can it?
    I don't think they're trying to can it.

Maybe CBS is shooting too high, or not high enough... but, the fact that filming has begun should prove to be good news.

They better have lots of details in blu-ray special features, LOL.
    edited January 2017
    We know this already, but here a newer article about the guy playing Sarek...

http://gazette.com/tv-talk-veteran-character-actor-added-to-star-trek-discovery-cast/article/1595179

And here is a recent interview with the lead actress...

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/25/walking-dead-sonequa-martin-green-star-trek-discovery-sasha/

B)
    This delay probably also means that STO will be able to get stuff from "DISCOVERY" into the game by Christmas this year.

B)
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    daveyny wrote: »
    This delay probably also means that STO will be able to get stuff from "DISCOVERY" into the game by Christmas this year.

B)

I wouldn't be so sure about that. thats assuming that it'll even come out this year. thats looking less and less likely. thats assuming it doesn't get killed entirely before it hits the air, which is still a possibility, especially given what a trainwreck its been so far
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I don't think the delay is a product of malice. I think it is more likely that they simply rushed out the announcement and estimated release date for the Trek anniversary without actually having any idea of what the show would be. From what I've seen it usually takes around a year or more to get a TV show up and off the ground, so it is no surprise that they have had to delay things.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Yes but Gotham's Azrael cast as Sarek :)

Neat. I remember him better from that short-lived series The Cape. I liked him there.

And I think he has a face that's very easy to make to look Vulcan.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited January 2017
    We also have an updated logo, on the right...

dsc-logos.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Much, much better in my opinion. If the Discovery herself gets a similiar overhaul I wouldn't mind.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Much, much better in my opinion. If the Discovery herself gets a similiar overhaul I wouldn't mind.

7rM4aGE.png
    OHCfQah.png

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uOkN6kgxS4w
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited January 2017
    Sigh. I preferred the old one. That is clearly a DS9 era ship. How hard can it be to get the ship right? It needs to take design clues from either Kelvin era ships (which would still be in service) or brand new cutting edge ones like the TOS Constitution. Not the 24th century.

Edit: The original design is still in the video so fingers crossed it stays. Gods forbid Star Trek try anything new for a change instead of the same Akira over and over again.
    31821577453_773d24f574_o.png
    ​​
    Post edited by artan42 on
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited January 2017
    THE CAPTAIN'S CHAIR...

https://youtu.be/j9QHrNdgX4U

Still no actual release date though.

B)
    edited January 2017
    angrytarg wrote: »

7rM4aGE.png
    OHCfQah.png

https://youtube.com/watch?v=uOkN6kgxS4w

It does kinda-sorta look like a relative of the NX-01 though.

I just wish they would go with an earlier version of the Constitution's Nacelles.
    B)
    So, this video features a look at the new uniforms. Anyone see a capture of it?

Also, I guess the little horn riff is the Discovery theme. It's appeared in almost every official video, and it ain't the classic Courage fanfare.
    @mhall85
    31823289503_8cb934d451_o.png

I like it. I like the blue, it resembles the ENT, Kelvin, and Franklin era uniforms as well as the excursion uniforms from BEY.

#TASforSTO

valoreah wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Edit: The original design is still in the video so fingers crossed it stays. Gods forbid Star Trek try anything new for a change instead of the same Akira over and over again.

The Galaxy, Defiant and Intrepid class ships looked nothing like an Akira to me. Nor did the Prometheus, Ambassador...

It sort of made sense for the NX class to be a saucer with 2 nacelles IMO.

Why would any of those ships look like the Akira, they were all built after or around the same time.

I was complaining about the NX, the Franklin, the Intrepid Type, the Ares (from the fan film), and that little ship in the DSC teaser. At least the NX had the decency to have tubelike nacelles.

#TASforSTO

Thanks, @artan42.

I agree, it's a neat direction to go in. I like that you can also clearly see the Operations/Engineering logo in that pic. It fits.

I wonder if these will be Discovery-only uniforms? I think the DS9/VOY uniforms were considered "deep space" variants of the TNG-era uniforms. Maybe this is something similar...
This discussion has been closed.