test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do members of the Cryptic staff post in these forums?

2»

Comments

• kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Edit: Re: Name Change
    Um. . . why? STO isn't canon,
    I'll need to screen cap this quote for the threads that pop up weekly about STO being or not being "canon."

I was thinking of adding it to my sig for similar reasons
  • observatorrobservatorr Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Ok, that supports my statement about the writers who created Locarno but does nothing to clarify whether or not people under the IAMTIW would recieve further payments if their characters were used anywhere else.
    I just learned that the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers is not actually a union. Tie-in novel writers don't have their own union, so it's highly unlikely that they can get royalties for anything more than book sales.
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    I wonder if they play there own game.
  • wendysue53wendysue53 Member Posts: 1,569 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Ok, that supports my statement about the writers who created Locarno but does nothing to clarify whether or not people under the IAMTIW would recieve further payments if their characters were used anywhere else.
    I just learned that the International Association of Media Tie-In Writers is not actually a union. Tie-in novel writers don't have their own union, so it's highly unlikely that they can get royalties for anything more than book sales.

If they do novels, then they may be members of one of the writer's unions, and/or also a part of the tie-in groups. Just because they are part of a group instead of a union doesn't exclude them from standard contract sets. You can pull all that info up through the Writer's Association.

The determining factor is whether they are working as an independent author under contract or as an employee of the franchise, which makes all kinds of alterations to how a given contract works. There are other points I could bring up, but none of us want to sit here for a week or two listening to legal jargon, and I try to leave that stuff at work.