test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Klingon character revamp in the works

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    since when is dreads the only style available in STO?
    It is for Klingon characters. You have five variations of dreadlocks, bald, top knot and if you happen to have it worfs s1 cut​, that's about it. Might be high forehead long as well, but I think Klingon characters have the least hairstyle options available. Plus the dreadlocks aren't even canonically accurate but, as it seems, a 100% Cryptic invention.​​
    I just looked on my DR Gorn(what? I don't actually like Klingons). I checked 3 Klingon Boffs he had and saw the same 7 options on each.

3 variations of dreadlocks, bald, top knot, a long mostly straight style, and braids (looks like dreads but only on the sides).
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I just looked on my DR Gorn(what? I don't actually like Klingons). I checked 3 Klingon Boffs he had and saw the same 7 options on each.

3 variations of dreadlocks, bald, top knot, a long mostly straight style, and braids (looks like dreads but only on the sides).

The long straight one should be "high forehead, long" and they are only four dreadlock styles then. When you have the TNG anniversary worf haircut you have eight klingon hair options - mind you, the dreadlock options look all pretty much alike anyway.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I compiled some options that exist in the game into this thread.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • dalmaciusdalmacius Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    What about options for a real Klingon body with all their protruding bone structure? Presently Klingons have Klingon heads but human bodies. I'd like my Klink to have everything Klingon when I wear only my shorts on Riza.
    Now I have a Klingon head but the rest is human. Hmm, why do you think they wear their spinal protection?
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    dalmacius wrote: »
    What about options for a real Klingon body with all their protruding bone structure? Presently Klingons have Klingon heads but human bodies. I'd like my Klink to have everything Klingon when I wear only my shorts on Riza.
    Now I have a Klingon head but the rest is human. Hmm, why do you think they wear their spinal protection?

Last year, my Klingon female characters had the spine visuals while in their swim wear. Did they disappear on us this year? I will go check later.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    all I would like to see for KDF is more bank consoles scattered around first city and especially at the KDF shipyard.
    feds have so many bank terminals at ESD your practically tripping over them.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    The initial announcement for improving the Klingon character uniforms and visuals was quite some time ago. I'm thinking they moved on. Whatever got done is what they could do in the time allotted. Onward and upward.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    The initial announcement for improving the Klingon character uniforms and visuals was quite some time ago. I'm thinking they moved on. Whatever got done is what they could do in the time allotted. Onward and upward.

indeed this thread has been revamped more then KDF will ever be.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Source:http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1215316/tribble-maintenance-and-release-notes-may-12-2016#latest
    Tribble wrote:
    • Klingon Update:
      • Updated the lighting on most male heads and male and female necks to add more cohesion to the look.
      • Tweaked Klingon forehead and nose ridges to better blend with face textures.
        • Also sharpened the textures, giving the impression of increased resolution.
      • Increased slider range for female Klingon cranium and forehead width.
        • It is now possible to make these features wider.
      • Improved skinning and fit of Male and Female Klingon Sashes.
      • Klingon Male Pauldrons have a more natural fit, shape, and skinning.
    • Added a few more skin tone options to Human, Klingon, and Ferengi for players.
    "In the works" really means "In the works".
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    Hey @crypticjoejing, I know all the other content coming with Agents of Yesterday is totally going to overshadow the Klingon improvements, but I love the updates you've made! I can finally use sashes and pauldrons together without awful clipping, and everything fits so much better!
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    One more thing coming soonish: more skin tone options for Klingons http://imgur.com/9bkakFz

@crypticjoejing With this done, when can we expect the Playable Borg to receive some love in regards to proper full body skins and such? 5 years and hundreds of dollars is a lot for unfinished character models.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    It's not done. They still owe us Klingons more hairstyles and ridges. Preferably ones from actors from the shows and movies.

Big thanks to @crypticjoejing for updating the Klingons. I have not yet had time to look at his work in-game on my kling. But it's much appreciated and I look forward to using them to improve their appearance.
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    a big thx to @crypticjoejing
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    Check out the facial features and the shoulder armor! Looks better!
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    Greetings Captains, I know it's been a while but I've got a couple new updates for you.

First, finally got around to updating the female pauldrons with similar improvements that the males had a while back. The goal being to make them less floaty, improve skinning, decrease clipping, and overall make a more natural fit. http://imgur.com/a/hMEtS

Next, we're finally unlocking the D'k tahg Dagger for players! :Dhttp://imgur.com/a/ohxUh
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    as an actual melee weapon or just decoration? because people want function way more than eye candy​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • crypticjoejingcrypticjoejing Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    as an actual melee weapon or just decoration? because people want function way more than eye candy​​

Sorry, just a visual part of the uniform.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

Sorry, just a visual part of the uniform.

Still, awesome!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited January 2017
    vile necroman.....errr HIYA Mr Developer doing us all a big favor! :D

Stuff looks great too!!
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    So far i like what i am hearing.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

In general I'd agree, but

(a) Some good news is still better than no good news
    (b) Personally I don't care about melee, so all is good here :)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Definitely looking better in the comparisons :).
  • cactolithcactolith Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Greetings Captains, I know it's been a while but I've got a couple new updates for you.

First, finally got around to updating the female pauldrons with similar improvements that the males had a while back. The goal being to make them less floaty, improve skinning, decrease clipping, and overall make a more natural fit. http://imgur.com/a/hMEtS

Next, we're finally unlocking the D'k tahg Dagger for players! :Dhttp://imgur.com/a/ohxUh

Looking forward to the revamp!

Also a good thread necro. :P
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I really like to see some progress on this, even though it has to happen in someone's spare time and not as part of the official development plan. I must however ask why it is such a big issue to include more (canon) melee weapons for Klingons. Having the decoration is already quite nice, but what makes it so difficult to include those, the animations seem to be already in the game. The D'k tahg in particular could possibly simply replace the unarmed melee option for Klingon characters, not become a completely new item.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • afree100afree100 Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    Awesome!
    Starfleet M.A.C.O. KDF Honor Guard