test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Keep a close eye on your mail for messages from PWE (gifted ship and spec points)

Comments

• Options
    rikwesselsrikwessels Member Posts: 367 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    rikwessels wrote: »
    you know what this theater does ( from a marketing perspective ) ? It makes me think twice about spending any $$ whatsoever - in the foreseeable future - on anything in the Z-store . I would think the exact same way if I did get the email and someone in my fleet didn't . It is bad marketing in the extreme ...

You know, that was my first reaction too. But Cryptic doesn't give a sh*t; and, at the end of the day, I'll just be hurting myself not buying stuff I really wanted. And Cryptic knows that, of course. So, nothing left but to feel groggy for a while, and to commend Cryptic for playing the playerbase out against each other like this.

I have played a lot of MMO's and have never seen a worse "promotion "( ever ) . Sure, you have similar promotions in other MMO's but they always tell their players what criteria makes them eligible to receive the "prize " . Folks comparing this to the outfit don't understand either : the difference is everyone gets that outfit ,regardless of if you already own it .Next time I get an email from Cryptic asking me to spend $$ on something , I already know how fast that one will be thrown in the bin ( faster than you can say "oh, an email !" ) . And again: I'd feel the exact same way if I had received the email and others hadn't .
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    reyan01 wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Stupid question time...... I received the code; if I claim this on a currently sub-level 50 character do I get the insta level 50 to 60 XP boost token rather than the spec points?

The token would be more useful to my currently low-levelled TOS character than the spec points would be to any of my already level 60 ones.

Good question. I redeemed the code via the website and logged in a few hours later on a lvl 60 character. I do not have a "insta-60" option under promotions, but I have two "10 spec points" - I have no idea wether this is random or character specific.​​
    Neither do I, and am reluctant to claim until I know one way or the other. As I said, would rather have the XP token to use on a new character than the spec points to use on my existing ones.

considering an xp token was never mentioned best bet is to assume it will not
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    Mm, actually got one this time. It's an interesting ship but I'm not sure it will get me out of my Vengeance. I'm not sure anything will get me out of that monster though lol. But I won't say no to the free adm card, trait, and wide angle torp. Thanks Cryptic!
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    cerritourugcerritourug Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Ive got the code but after claim it, only got the 10 spec points.. Cryptic, keep insulting your player base please.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    seeing as they are doing the season 12 givaways event I am surprised this ship and the spec points weren't part of that promotion for everyone to claim but I am still grateful I got the email. :)
    Stupid question time...... I received the code; if I claim this on a currently sub-level 50 character do I get the insta level 50 to 60 XP boost token rather than the spec points?

The token would be more useful to my currently low-levelled TOS character than the spec points would be to any of my already level 60 ones.

Good question. I redeemed the code via the website and logged in a few hours later on a lvl 60 character. I do not have a "insta-60" option under promotions, but I have two "10 spec points" - I have no idea wether this is random or character specific.​​
    Neither do I, and am reluctant to claim until I know one way or the other. As I said, would rather have the XP token to use on a new character than the spec points to use on my existing ones.

considering an xp token was never mentioned best bet is to assume it will not

True - but again, would be nice to know for sure.

to the best of my knowledge they will be credited to the character for use when the spec tree becomes active and may even bump a lv50+ character to level 60 but whether or not this happens you can be sure the points will not be lost even on a character who is well below lv50.
    much similar to how you can claim a ship giveaway even if you only have a character who is not able to use the ship due to level but can then use the ship once the level requirement is met.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    Ive got the code but after claim it, only got the 10 spec points.. Cryptic, keep insulting your player base please.

Yes! Free stuff is insulting! :|

When you get the promis of free stuff, you waste time and install the game again and you get TRIBBLE, yes, it is.. if mcdonals promiss a free burger, you drive to the place and u only get a coka, then yes, is an insult.

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    you know what this theater does ( from a marketing perspective ) ? It makes me think twice about spending any $$ whatsoever - in the foreseeable future - on anything in the Z-store . I would think the exact same way if I did get the email and someone in my fleet didn't . It is bad marketing in the extreme ...

You know, that was my first reaction too. But Cryptic doesn't give a sh*t; and, at the end of the day, I'll just be hurting myself not buying stuff I really wanted. And Cryptic knows that, of course. So, nothing left but to feel groggy for a while, and to commend Cryptic for playing the playerbase out against each other like this.

I have played a lot of MMO's and have never seen a worse "promotion "( ever ) . Sure, you have similar promotions in other MMO's but they always tell their players what criteria makes them eligible to receive the "prize " . Folks comparing this to the outfit don't understand either : the difference is everyone gets that outfit ,regardless of if you already own it .Next time I get an email from Cryptic asking me to spend $$ on something , I already know how fast that one will be thrown in the bin ( faster than you can say "oh, an email !" ) . And again: I'd feel the exact same way if I had received the email and others hadn't .

Yes, I don't think these types of promos are very good. It's simply not nice setting players up against each other like this: favoring just 'a happy few', based on no apparent criteria, breeds confusion, hostility (towards Cryptic, I haste to say: I don't harbor any ill-will towards those lucky enough to be chosen), and a general sense of unfairness.

The problem is severely compounded, of course, by ppl telling you about their winnings (why, not just telling you, but basically 6 pages full of rubbing it in your face). I must admit I never really get that. I see threads like 'Ooo, I only used 1 key, and got a Bulwark!' Although I don't open lockboxes myself, I always fail to see what purpose is served by doing so, other than to gloat. Were that to happen to me, I'd just keep the fact to myself, and not feel the need to throw it in other people's faces. Of course, from their perspective, they likely just want to share the news of their good fortune.

Anyway, didn't like the Gold-plated Ferengi promo either (even though I received one). Which, in many ways, was actually worse, as they had a more-or-less defined criterium there (being a 'loyal customer' -- which still could mean just about anything, including being picked out of a hat), but then left folks angry amongst each other for also being a loyal customer, and why didn't they get the ship then?! (And those feeling weren't jealousy, but simply entirely justified questions).

So, tl;dr, yeah, this promo sucks.

3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

You likely already have the ship on that toon, so you can't claim another one. I'll take your 10 spec points, though, if that helps un-insult the matter. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options

You likely already have the ship on that toon, so you can't claim another one. I'll take your 10 spec points, though, if that helps un-insult the matter. :)

I dont have the ship, it saids that I need 3000 zen to have it. And if I could, I give away thouse 10 spec points to the first person I see on the ESD..

Division Hispana
    www.divisionhispana.com
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    (...)
    Anyway, didn't like the Gold-plated Ferengi promo either (even though I received one). Which, in many ways, was actually worse, as they had a more-or-less defined criterium there (being a 'loyal customer' -- which still could mean just about anything, including being picked out of a hat), but then left folks angry amongst each other for also being a loyal customer, and why didn't they get the ship then?! (And those feeling weren't jealousy, but simply entirely justified questions).

Ever thought about that the "loyal customer" part could simply be flufftext because, you know, Ferengi?

Best bet is those giveaways are completely random. And you cannot be more "fair" than doing random draws. However, often people do not understand what "fair" means - to them it's winning=fair, not winning=unfair. That's why we can't have chance elements in games any more, or those games that have them receive a lot of flak for it.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    @cerritourug From what I saw when my sister's code was redeemed, the free Archon is in the Promotion tab.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    (...)

Ever thought about that the "loyal customer" part could simply be flufftext because, you know, Ferengi?

Yes, in fact, I did think of that, when I said about loyal customers that it "... could mean just about anything, including being picked out of a hat." I'm 86% sure is was, indeed, just fluff text.
    Best bet is those giveaways are completely random. And you cannot be more "fair" than doing random draws. However, often people do not understand what "fair" means - to them it's winning=fair, not winning=unfair.

Random draws don't necessarily make things super-fair: they can be seen as just as unfair, only with mathematical precision. :)
    That's why we can't have chance elements in games any more, or those games that have them receive a lot of flak for it.​​

And rightly so. It's like if Cryptic were to decide, one day, that some ppl no longer get any perks with their new LTS, and others get everything. People wouldn't put up with that. People simply love equality -- and, consequently, being treated equally. I like it that way.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    (...)

Yes, in fact, I did think of that, when I said about loyal customers that it "... could mean just about anything, including being picked out of a hat." I'm 86% sure is was, indeed, just fluff text.
    Best bet is those giveaways are completely random. And you cannot be more "fair" than doing random draws. However, often people do not understand what "fair" means - to them it's winning=fair, not winning=unfair.

Random draws don't necessarily make things super-fair: they can be seen as just as unfair, only with mathematical precision. :)
    That's why we can't have chance elements in games any more, or those games that have them receive a lot of flak for it.​​

And rightly so. It's like if Cryptic were to decide, one day, that some ppl no longer get any perks with their new LTS, and others get everything. People wouldn't put up with that. People simply love equality -- and, consequently, being treated equally. I like it that way.

It's also simply bad for business to p**s off a substantial part of the playerbase . When someone opens a lockbox and tells everyone in chat they got a ship ( or the system messages ) , that's an entirely different thing too. Those people chose to participate in the lockbox lottery . What is even worse is that no dev - or anyone else ,for that matter- explains the reasoning / criteria behind this .. it has folks wondering what it is all about and makes them even madder at Cryptic ,directly affecting the bottomline ...
  • Options
    knockedup#2486 knockedup Member Posts: 32 Arc User

The description in the promotion-tab in the c-store says you can claim it on any toon but you can open it only with a lvl 50+ toon.
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    fantastic, my Feddie now has an actual Federation ship (as opposed to Breen. which is a nice ship, but...). My Rommy says thanks for the 10 spec points, trees now full :) My Klingon is sulking cos, yet again, they get nothing... *awww poor thing, I'll buy you a T6 B'rel one day, I promise*
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Glad I found this thread. I got an email as well and I have been off the game since the Winter Event. Mostly due to video card crashing. Soon as I get me a new card I'm back in the game.

Thank you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I've been keeping an eye on my email for a full day now; still nada. :)

"It's not the despair, Laura, I can stand the despair; it's the hope." -- Clockwise
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    Redeem the Archon in the Promotion Tab on a Level 50+ character, that then unlocks it for all other eligible toons on your account.

The XP/Spec token WILL NOT level a character below Level 50 to Level 60, only toons that are at least Level 50. Excess goes to Spec Points. Level 60 toons get 10 Spec Points. We learned this from another ragefit thread where a player incorrectly assumed he could do as much and made a new character for the express purpose of going from Level 1 to Level 60 without doing anything but use the token.

Considering the plethora of differences between the self-reported players that received the email, including those that had already bought the ship, it seems apparent that they were randomly selected. Therefore, EVERYONE HAD AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY to have received this promotion. Random selection from the entire playerbase is the epitome of fair.

Obviously, this promotion was meant to only go to a small number of players by design, as with past email promotions. The only FAIR way to do that would be to randomly select the receipients. At the point of selection, everyone had an equal shot at being selected. Just because, you, a specific person, did NOT get randomly selected, doesn't mean that the selection process is unfair. It just means, you weren't selected. If no one had mentioned anything about this promotion, you wouldn't know that you had "missed out" on anything. And in truth, you haven't missed out on anything, because the very same ship is available in the C-Store right now. Want it? Go get it. Oh, and the XP/Spec Points? Everyone has an equal opportunity at those, too. It's called, Play the Game!

Think about the ships that have been given away to the entire playerbase in the past. They've been ships that have been around for awhile and/or not done well with sales in the C-Store. I'm sure we'll see one given away to everyone during the next week (although, I'm already anticipating the wailing of those who already bought it and demanding a refund, decry it not being their preferred Faction's ship, or any number of other self-entitled reasons). The T6 Intel Archon/Sovereign is a relatively new ship, which just recently had a Command Variant offered in another promotion. This ship is not going to given away for free to the entire playerbase anytime soon, if ever, considering its hero ship status. Not when its moneymaking potential is still there.

Cryptic purposefully setting players against each other with promotions like this? Do you know how ridiculously machiavellian that sounds? You make it sound like some super-villain plot at world domination. Get over yourself. And each other. The sense of entitlement raging through these forums just hit Epic Gold.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    Redeem the Archon in the Promotion Tab on a Level 50+ character, that then unlocks it for all other eligible toons on your account.

The XP/Spec token WILL NOT level a character below Level 50 to Level 60, only toons that are at least Level 50. Excess goes to Spec Points. Level 60 toons get 10 Spec Points. We learned this from another ragefit thread where a player incorrectly assumed he could do as much and made a new character for the express purpose of going from Level 1 to Level 60 without doing anything but use the token.

Considering the plethora of differences between the self-reported players that received the email, including those that had already bought the ship, it seems apparent that they were randomly selected. Therefore, EVERYONE HAD AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY to have received this promotion. Random selection from the entire playerbase is the epitome of fair.

Obviously, this promotion was meant to only go to a small number of players by design, as with past email promotions. The only FAIR way to do that would be to randomly select the receipients. At the point of selection, everyone had an equal shot at being selected. Just because, you, a specific person, did NOT get randomly selected, doesn't mean that the selection process is unfair. It just means, you weren't selected. If no one had mentioned anything about this promotion, you wouldn't know that you had "missed out" on anything. And in truth, you haven't missed out on anything, because the very same ship is available in the C-Store right now. Want it? Go get it. Oh, and the XP/Spec Points? Everyone has an equal opportunity at those, too. It's called, Play the Game!

Think about the ships that have been given away to the entire playerbase in the past. They've been ships that have been around for awhile and/or not done well with sales in the C-Store. I'm sure we'll see one given away to everyone during the next week (although, I'm already anticipating the wailing of those who already bought it and demanding a refund, decry it not being their preferred Faction's ship, or any number of other self-entitled reasons). The T6 Intel Archon/Sovereign is a relatively new ship, which just recently had a Command Variant offered in another promotion. This ship is not going to given away for free to the entire playerbase anytime soon, if ever, considering its hero ship status. Not when its moneymaking potential is still there.

Cryptic purposefully setting players against each other with promotions like this? Do you know how ridiculously machiavellian that sounds? You make it sound like some super-villain plot at world domination. Get over yourself. And each other. The sense of entitlement raging through these forums just hit Epic Gold.

This entire post is BS . I'll tell you why : if I buy a lottery ticket and don't win anything I have no reason to moan about it , because by buying the lottery ticket I accept the rules of the lottery .If I buy a lockbox key and get zilch , you will not hear me complaining because - again - by opening that box with the key I accept the rules of that particular lottery . In this case I am
    - unaware I am participating in any sort of lottery
    - completely clueless on the rules thereof ( or lack of said rules )
  • Options
    apolloxl5apolloxl5 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I got the E-mail for the new T6 Sovereign (Archon), but I play on the PS4. So will I be able to get it when it appears on that version of the game (since I used the redeem code)?
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @rikwessels

Man you are comedy gold, you should try some open mike nights you'll probably kill.

I highly doubt this constitutes as comedy . If all of this was "inconsequential " then how come this thread is already at 7 pages ( never mind threads on Reddit ) ?

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    lan451 wrote: »
    Mm, actually got one this time. It's an interesting ship but I'm not sure it will get me out of my Vengeance. I'm not sure anything will get me out of that monster though lol. But I won't say no to the free adm card, trait, and wide angle torp. Thanks Cryptic!

Know the feeling i got it finished mastery and put it in my mothball fleet, my vengeance is a much much better ship what really puts me off on the T6 sov , is the boff seating the intl uni seat is used up with a sci toon, beause there isnt a sci boff seat.
  • Options
    azrael605 wrote: »
    @rikwessels

Because people like you like to make drama about nothing.

you don't know me AT ALL and are showing precisely what is wrong with this promotion in just a few posts ( calling me "comical ", pretty much dismissive across the board )

• Options

This entire post is BS . I'll tell you why : if I buy a lottery ticket and don't win anything I have no reason to moan about it , because by buying the lottery ticket I accept the rules of the lottery .If I buy a lockbox key and get zilch , you will not hear me complaining because - again - by opening that box with the key I accept the rules of that particular lottery . In this case I am
    - unaware I am participating in any sort of lottery
    - completely clueless on the rules thereof ( or lack of said rules )

I would say that THIS entire post is BS, but you are right about one thing: You're completely clueless.

You are an unwitting partcipant in a random selection lottery every day. It's called life. Any number of a myriad of things could, can, and will happen to you simply by random chance. This happens to be one of them. Congratulations! You're winning!
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    I'm admittedly a little annoyed by these types of promotions. I was more annoyed by the Nagus give away because of that line about rewarding loyal players. It irks me that I've been playing regularly for about 5 years, and have put a lot of money into the game, but am still not considered a loyal or valued player/customer. Cryptic should have just said they randomly picked players out of a hat... I think that would have upset people a little less.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    apolloxl5 wrote: »
    I got the E-mail for the new T6 Sovereign (Archon), but I play on the PS4. So will I be able to get it when it appears on that version of the game (since I used the redeem code)?

unlikely... as this promotion is for PC, thus if redeemed it would apply to your PC based STO account..
    However there is only one way to actually find out
  • Options
    nikephorus wrote: »
    I'm admittedly a little annoyed by these types of promotions. I was more annoyed by the Nagus give away because of that line about rewarding loyal players. It irks me that I've been playing regularly for about 5 years, and have put a lot of money into the game, but am still not considered a loyal or valued player/customer. Cryptic should have just said they randomly picked players out of a hat... I think that would have upset people a little less.

The only thing that annoyed me about the Nagus Marauder is that, to date, there is literally NO OTHER WAY to obtain that ship except through some sort of chance giveaway. Similarly, with the Mirror Guardian and T6 Command Archon, they are/were tied to limited promotions, which are, at present, otherwise unobtainable. Perhaps, in the future, they might be added to the Infinity or Phoenix Boxes, but for now, they are beyond reach for most. And THIS ship, the T6 INTEL Archon, can still be obtained by anyone who wants it, because it's in the C-Store. NO ONE who actually wants this ship will miss out in getting it. Is it irksome for those that didn't get the email? Yes, I concede that some mightvfeel that way. I didn't receive a T6 Andromeda when that email promotion happened. Was I disappointed? Yes. But I moved on, because I can still get one from the C-Store whenever I want. Even so, there are bigger issues in the world than a digital ship.
    GrWzQke.png