test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Yet another Starfleet-only lobi ship

Seeing the potential for profit, the Lobi Crystal Consortium has agreed to help update the technology of yesteryear… for the right price if and only if you're in the right faction.

Those wacky ferengi, always thinking about their profits sales restrictions. Just like canon, no?

<insert 6-page rant against faction restrictions here>

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I dunno, I'd prefer if faction ships remained C-Store items. But of course, for KDF and RR it might sometimes be preferable to have a Lobi/Lockbox ship then no ship at all?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    Would it be any different if it were the fed prize out of the lockbox itself? They don't want a Klingon flying around in one any more than they want a Fed flying around in a Scimmy. Roll a Fed character if you really want to fly the Refit, just like I rolled a Rom to fly a Scimitar.
  • keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    Less people play Klingons and Rommy's so they are going to make more fed only ships as its a bigger sales market.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    I'm more interested in the possible rage over the NX being a lobi offering while TOS fans had their ship virtually unobtainable as a promo ship.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Well unless you are in the whale faction which is Fed you are out of luck for a lot of things. Cryptic would rather farm the whales Fed side then encourage people to play the other factions more with more offerings. Just no profit in that unless you want one of the new dreads in the up and coming lock box. Then the non whale factions would get a ship cause key sales to gamble for said ships means more profits.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If they want more profit they can sell the ship to everyone.
    warpangel wrote: »

Did they sell the Temporal Light Cruiser to everyone? No.

Do they sell faction specific ships to everyone? No.

Is the NX-refit a faction specific ship? Yes.

Was there a complaint like this when the Kelvin Constitution or the Vengeance came out or is this some weird desire to just have the NX available to everyone?
    ash352 wrote: »

Did they sell the Temporal Light Cruiser to everyone? No.

Do they sell faction specific ships to everyone? No.

Is the NX-refit a faction specific ship? Yes.

Was there a complaint like this when the Kelvin Constitution or the Vengeance came out or is this some weird desire to just have the NX available to everyone?
    There were some pretty big complaints over the fact that the Vengeance was FED only. There were also some pretty hilarious complaints that the KDF/ROM pack with the Vengeance trait and console were unavailable to FEDs.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    There were some pretty big complaints over the fact that the Vengeance was FED only. There were also some pretty hilarious complaints that the KDF/ROM pack with the Vengeance trait and console were unavailable to FEDs.

I honestly don't get the issue. It's a Federation ship. If they release a Romulan only ship in the Lobi store would I complain because it was Rom only? No, I'd see if I wanted it on my Rom character and get it if I did. Why are people expecting something that's faction specific to suddenly break the rules laid out for years at this point of "If it's a faction specific ship it goes to that faction." Did we suddenly enter the period of Cryptic's development where they just toss out all faction restrictions and let us space barbie in any way we want even if it makes no sense when I wasn't looking?
    edited January 2017

I honestly don't get the issue. It's a Federation ship. If they release a Romulan only ship in the Lobi store would I complain because it was Rom only? No, I'd see if I wanted it on my Rom character and get it if I did. Why are people expecting something that's faction specific to suddenly break the rules laid out for years at this point of "If it's a faction specific ship it goes to that faction." Did we suddenly enter the period of Cryptic's development where they just toss out all faction restrictions and let us space barbie in any way we want even if it makes no sense when I wasn't looking?
    I was fine with the Vengeance being FED only. I'm also fine with the NX being FED only. There were a few players that were upset because the Tal Shiar ships were for any faction and felt that the Vengeance would be the same. Or they felt that there should be a comparable Lobi offering for the KDF and Roms besides the trait/console box.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Trolling?

It's a Federation ship, so limited to the Federation faction.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I honestly don't get the issue. It's a Federation ship.

Because it's an addition to the lobi store that only Fed players can have; I don't see any KDF/Rom players complaining that they can't own an NX refit, more that there's no equivalent for their respective factions. Some people might think KDF/Rom players are justified in feeling sidelined yet again. They might even think that charging half price for a console and a trait (even if they do look much more interesting than the Vengeance ones) is just rubbing salt into the wound.

Can you imagine them ever adding a KDF-only or Romulan-only ship to the lobi store?

I've always thought the right way to do this sort of thing is what we had with the Temporal lockbox: faction-specific ships in a single requisition pack. I'd hoped the Kelvin/23C ships would follow suit but they made the rather strange decision to have the game award faction-specific requisition packs based on which faction the character opening the lockbox is*.

Thankfully it looks like they have reverted to the old way with the prize ships in the Undiscovered lockbox, but the Kelvin stuff is still hampered because ship requisitions (T6, T5, Secondary, etc.) from Infinity lockboxes are bound to character, so if your Rom alt wants a T'laru it has to be them opening Infinity boxes.

*If you 'win' with a Kelvin box you get a requisition for either a Connie, a D4x or a T'laru, rather than a requisition you can trade between factions. It's this that resulted in D4x's and T'larus going for stupid money on the exchange while Connies sold for much less, despite being equally likely to drop from the lockbox. On the other hand, I were to 'win' a Temporal Science Vessel requisition I could give this to any character and they would receive their faction's ship when they use it.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User

considering the borg infused Romulan ships can be used by any faction yet the nx is fed only i can understand the anger to a degree.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    I'm surprised that someone made a genuine complaint thread about how the T6-NX is making it in game. Sure, it's not the C-store but neither is it a promo box.
    I'm more interested in the possible rage over the NX being a lobi offering while TOS fans had their ship virtually unobtainable as a promo ship.
    TOS fan: "It's only ENT." :tongue:
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Did they sell the Temporal Light Cruiser to everyone?
    They should.
    Do they sell faction specific ships to everyone?
    They should.
    Is the NX-refit a faction specific ship?
    The C-Store version I have on my romulan says no.
    Yes there was. Not that that's relevant.

And yes I want everything to be available to everyone.

I honestly don't get the issue. It's a Federation ship. If they release a Romulan only ship in the Lobi store would I complain because it was Rom only? No, I'd see if I wanted it on my Rom character and get it if I did.
    I'd get it on my romulan then complain on behalf of everyone else who wasn't allowed.
    Did we suddenly enter the period of Cryptic's development where they just toss out all faction restrictions and let us space barbie in any way we want even if it makes no sense when I wasn't looking?
    Not yet, but we really should.

And making sense has never been a feature of the faction restrictions. We have things like this NX-class where I can fly the Starfleet original, but the ferengi of all people refuse to sell me the upgrade.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Well, the Romulan equivalent of the Lobi ship is already in the C-store, though idk why they didn't include the enterprise BoP for the klinks, could've then made both ships available to romulans based on which faction they aligned with.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Unless the NX is as much of a beast as the Vengeance, KDF / Roms will likely do well on this one. While it's not explicit, the fact that the NX's console can be used on any starship suggests it will get put into a console/trait pack for other factions - which means you get the juicy stuff for a fraction of the price. Not a bad deal at all, IMO.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    It says exactly that in the blog..
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    And making sense has never been a feature of the faction restrictions. We have things like this NX-class where I can fly the Starfleet original, but the ferengi of all people refuse to sell me the upgrade.

Faction restrictions apply to other playable factions (at T5/T6, with the exception of the bugged Ambassador class give-away that let Rom/FED fly a high-tier dish-rocket). And the Ferengi probably just have to get around to updating the Ferengi box for consoles. However long that takes is up to Cryptic priorities (ie. how to arrange boxes best over the long term.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Trolling?

It's not trolling. @warpangel sees factions and groups as limiting player choice. Less focus should be done on story and setting while more focus should be put on sandbox elements.

Klingon captains should be able to captain Federation ships, Federation captains should be able to captain Romulan ships, etc. Turning STO into some kind of Star Trek themed Mad Libs does not appeal to me in the slightest, but to each their own.
    staq16 wrote: »
    Unless the NX is as much of a beast as the Vengeance, KDF / Roms will likely do well on this one. While it's not explicit, the fact that the NX's console can be used on any starship suggests it will get put into a console/trait pack for other factions - which means you get the juicy stuff for a fraction of the price. Not a bad deal at all, IMO.
    For a ship collector a console/trait pack is not "the juicy stuff."
    redvenge wrote: »
    Trolling?

It's not trolling. @warpangel sees factions and groups as limiting player choice. Less focus should be done on story and setting while more focus should be put on sandbox elements.

Klingon captains should be able to captain Federation ships, Federation captains should be able to captain Romulan ships, etc. Turning STO into some kind of Star Trek themed Mad Libs does not appeal to me in the slightest, but to each their own.
    To each their own, exactly. I wish.
    And yes I want everything to be available to everyone.
    Everything is available to everyone. You can play all 2.5 factions.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    would be kinda interesting if the KDF or RR got a lobi ship once in a while
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2017

They do have those, just not to their faction because generic bad guy ships like Dominion and so forth fill that need while also filling the need to feed the Fed whale faction that Cryptic gives preferential treatment to. If all the Romulan and KDF players left cause they weren't getting ships nobody but those players would really care because CBS just wants money and Cryptic also just wants money while farming the Fed players wallets.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    The argument about people not playing KDF and ROM because they don't get enough content is and always has been complete [modded] because it assumes people ever created one of those characters in the first place. When you first download the game you look at the options and pick the one you like most, you likely know next to nothing about the game or the history of the various factions so that plays no part in your decision. The metrics given to us clearly show that out of all created characters roughly 1/3 combined belong to those two factions, and although people can delete characters they don't play most people usually won't unless they have a good reason. The fact is they just aren't that popular.
    [Offensive part of the post moderated out]
    Post edited by jodarkrider on
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    lsegn wrote: »
    The argument about people not playing KDF and ROM because they don't get enough content is and always has been complete [modded] because it assumes people ever created one of those characters in the first place. When you first download the game you look at the options and pick the one you like most, you likely know next to nothing about the game or the history of the various factions so that plays no part in your decision. The metrics given to us clearly show that out of all created characters roughly 1/3 combined belong to those two factions, and although people can delete characters they don't play most people usually won't unless they have a good reason. The fact is they just aren't that popular.
    [Offensive part of the post moderated out]

The very first toon I ever created is a Romulan and I aligned with Klingons. My second toon was a Klingon. Wasn't until my 4th toon that I created a Fed. I don't really spend money on ships as they rarely put out anything KDF/Rom that I feel is interesting. I've bought the, what is it, 3 total KDF/Rom outfits? It's sort of this self fulling prophesy. Not much to purchase which leads to little money being spent, thus they don't produce much content.
    There is a romulan lobi ship.

It's sold cross-faction.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    There is a romulan lobi ship.

It's sold cross-faction.

I meant added from time to time
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Im a TOS fan and though how they handled the T6 connie was depolarabe, i checked down and got the KT Intel Dreadnought and have been very content with it :)