test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Featured Episode: Of Signs and Portents

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
The Featured Episode of Season 12: Reckoning is called "Of Signs and Portents," and will feature your Captain teaming up with Dr. Kuumaarke and General Rodek to investigate mysterious protomatter detonations.

Full details here:
http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10359283-featured-episode:-of-signs-and-portents

Comments

• psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Someone is calling down the terrible, destructive power of Protomatter on the frontier in the Alpha Quadrant, not far from Lukari space. What is unclear is who - or why.

Gee, I wonder who it could be? :P

I'm looking forward to the mission. Feels like it's been ages since we got one.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • saekiithsaekiith Member Posts: 534 Arc User
    I sincerely hope I am not the only one that immediately got triggered to watch Babylon 5 again...
    Selor Andaram Ephelion Kiith
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Yup, you are the only one.. :wink:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • shepard05shepard05 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    please have an omni-directional plasma beam weapon for a reward
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I see the Klingon representative with the Lukari Commander. Who did Starfleet send?
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    I hope we'll also get to visit the Lukari homeworld.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,316 Arc User
    shepard05 wrote: »

Unlikely. Having said that, it will be interesting which direction the devs take for the rewards.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    goodscotch wrote: »
    I see the Klingon representative with the Lukari Commander. Who did Starfleet send?

Starfleet: jeez, that iconian war was tough. we lost 99% of our fleet, half our starbases, dozens of systems. Its going to take us years to recover from this. Good thing the galaxy is peaceful now, and we're all friends.
    Lukari: Hey, someone is using Protomatter over here. I think its the Tzenkethi...
    Starfleet: oh ****, not them again... um... do we have any ships to send? no? ok erm... ask the Klingons
    Lukari: gah
    Romulans: don't you want an Epohh friend?

LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    shepard05 wrote: »

Unlikely. Having said that, it will be interesting which direction the devs take for the rewards.

We are long due for a warp core set

It might be like the past anni sets, which would suck. The Deflector/Impulse/Shield will be from the anni episode and the Warp Core is from the Anni Project meaning if you miss it, you're SOL until you can gamble for the Phoenix box!

I honestly hate that, the full set should be from the mission. If the console is on the ship that's fine, but the amount of sets in game missing a warp core is already bordering on the ridiculous and they need to stop contributing to that.
  • aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    last years anni was a 4 piece weapon set, and the 4th was on the ship itself. However, given that this years Lukari ship has full space-set, weapon set and ground set on their rep, I'm wondering if there is any point in doing similar on the FE? Better if they gave us a Lukari boff or something.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • sunseahlsunseahl Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    Cryptic: "We're Committed to Discov-WAR-ery! What? No we didn't say war... we said Discov-WAR-ery. you know... exploration of strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations... Discov-WAR-ery."​​
    Member of the "Disenchanted"
    We don't want what the Feds have. We want the equivalent. We want fairer treatment. Concern, desire, greed to some extent, and passionate belief that the enough people would buy KDF items to make it worth Cryptic's while.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    aliguana wrote: »

Starfleet: jeez, that iconian war was tough. we lost 99% of our fleet, half our starbases, dozens of systems. Its going to take us years to recover from this. Good thing the galaxy is peaceful now, and we're all friends.
    Lukari: Hey, someone is using Protomatter over here. I think its the Tzenkethi...
    Starfleet: oh ****, not them again... um... do we have any ships to send? no? ok erm... ask the Klingons

Klingons : Bah we are warriors not space explorers
    Starfleet : But "someone" is using protomatter weapons
    Klingons : Like starfleet hasnt done THAT before , for all we know it could be YOU
    Starfleet : We would nevrdo such a thing EVER
    Klingons : Remember genesis?
    Starfleet : [Redacted all files on project genisis is classified]
    Klingons : HAH see you cover up your indescretions by making them secrets, but secrets have ways of coming to light you miserable to'bahs
    Romulans : Get your cute and cuddly epohhs here
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User

Klingons : Like starfleet hasnt done THAT before , for all we know it could be YOU
    Klingons : HAH see you cover up your indescretions by making them secrets, but secrets have ways of coming to light you miserable to'bahs

Hmmm.....Maybe we'll be getting an omni-directional weapon that fires epohhs with protomatter bombs attached to their backs.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,390 Arc User
    edited January 2017
    Who do you think is holding the camera? :P
    The Romulan representative is off-screen chasing an epohh.
    The 23rd Fed is off-screen getting a temporal debriefing about how the timeline is secure.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User

Hmmm.....Maybe we'll be getting an omni-directional weapon that fires epohhs with protomatter bombs attached to their backs.

LOL you know id actually pay money for a weapon like that imagine the BFaW xD
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    I really hope they mention Project Genesis at some point.

Also a nod to maybe material of Klingon Academy (which is a "direct prequel" of sorts to Star Trek VI:Undiscovered Country ) of the Klingon Cadets going through 'training to this day' about a war with the Federation they were still doing --quoting TVtropes:
    The final academy mission features what can only be described as General Chang's wet dream of an assault on Earth, which ends with the Klingons unleashing a modified Genesis Device which rips apart matter at the molecular level, without bothering with that tricky "rearranging it into life-sustaining patterns" stuff.

In the latter stages of the game you get an all-too-real example of this trope, when Melkor uses a supernova weapon on the star system that is responsible for the production of 80% of all the Klingon Empire's dilithium. This in turn sets up another example in the sixth film, as the only other place with enough dilithium to serve the Empire's needs is the moon of Praxis, which goes kablooie at the start of that film.

....and for the heck still involving Starfleet's Flagship The Enterprise with a simulated James T. Kirk on it. Or, an updated version Picard's Enterprise. Or depending if they decide to have cadets go through both versions for a feel of how the Federation got "weak" over time.

Also the plot of the civil war that happened to the Klingon empire in that game could be an interesting for heck of the Gravitational Hyper mass black hole things.

Would be better if there was a "holodeck" mission of that simulation from Klingon Academy (not the same, property rights and all, but similar) of the assault on Earth that showed this to give people an idea of how the weapon works... (sadly not enough time to do such I assume as the story arch is already planned out probably)

BUT...if they could give info of such to an NPC or the Lukari star base or some console in some mission that you can read up on, which would be easier to add at this point, to describe the events of STII, STIII, Klingon Academy/Simulation of Assault on Earth with Genesis Bomb+Enterprise attack run, and slight events with some Genesis like device used to detonate some star with protomatter into a black hole that took out the Klingon Empire's main Dilithium production during Civil War that lead to Praxis blowing up, and the resulting Khitomer Accords(ST VI).
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Soooo what about those 23rd century Klingons, and Star Fleet?, we done with them? will they get new lives, and reconstructive surgery?
    GwaoHAD.png
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,112 Arc User
    It always cracks me up when the geniuses at Cryptic marketing don't say when (IE the date) the episode will become available. I guess they think everyone coming to the website and reading that blurb is intimately familiar with STO's update schedule. LOL.

(I mention this because it's said to see players in game asking how to play the mission.)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0UmNCj3s0
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    Make no mistake, I'm glad that Kurn/Rodek will be coming back... but the character we seem to be getting doesn't quite make sense.

What I want to know is how Rodek is a "legendary general"? Or even a general at all...
    Kurns memory was wiped, DNA altered and given a new identity as someone else in a different family.
    Which means if he wanted to join the KDF he had to start from the bottom again... At the age of, what 40ish going through officer school to get a commission?
    Then to become a general in such a short amount of time, it is not logical.

I can see if all this was based on Kurn, but this isn't Kurn. We know he is Kurn, but he doesn't.
    I hope they tell a well constructed story to go along with all this...
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
    Make no mistake, I'm glad that Kurn/Rodek will be coming back... but the character we seem to be getting doesn't quite make sense.

What I want to know is how Rodek is a "legendary general"? Or even a general at all...
    Kurns memory was wiped, DNA altered and given a new identity as someone else in a different family.
    Which means if he wanted to join the KDF he had to start from the bottom again... At the age of, what 40ish going through officer school to get a commission?

I can see if all this was based on Kurn, but this isn't Kurn. We know he is Kurn, but he doesn't.

How long did it take us, the player, to go from Ensign to Fleet Admiral? Not very long.

Not saying it's realistic, but it's hardly unprecedented in the game.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User

How long did it take us, the player, to go from Ensign to Fleet Admiral? Not very long.

Not saying it's realistic, but it's hardly unprecedented in the game.

In game wasn't our toon already a Captain? The tutorial has it our toon is a cadet being the first officer and the Admiral, after all that happened, made us captain. And a year later we are an Admiral.

That is best I remember.

• jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Now that I have played through the mission, I have a little bit of feedback to offer. Before I get into that though. Being here since the open beta, I have seen everything come and a lot of the best content of this game removed or retooled into TRIBBLE. There have been some note worthy actors lending their voice to this game as well with only Nimoy impressing me with his talents.

The mission wasn't too short and didn't feel long enough to make me loathe the grind. The beginning of the mission feels a little familiar, moving from moon to moon, but being down to the planet is where this mission really takes off. The map is very well done! It's colourful, the various watefalls and movement of the water is a very nice addition, and even the cave really shows off what a little creativity can do for a mission. This map is now one of my favourites maps that STO has ever seen.

The voice acting of Mr. Todd ranks up with Nimoy for me. He captures his character well and demonstrates how Klingon voice acting should be in STO. Well done, sir! Thank you for taking pride in your work! Not sounding like you are just sitting in a room bored out of your mind reading an incredibly boring script really goes a long way for making a missing very enjoyable. I sincerely hope PWE pays you well for your exceptional talent and welcomes you back many more times to contribute to this game.

I had some collision issues on the ground map (especially with the Tzenkethi flinging me around) but yeah, it was beautiful.

Interesting that they're trying to destroy those crystals... I wonder what they could be? What's so dangerous about them that destroying entire habitable worlds - most of which are potential colony sites - is considered an acceptable means of destroying them?
    NJ9oXSO.png
    -Thomas Marrone
  • defufodefufo Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Well, the ground map is beautiful, but the rest of the mission? I'm not impressed, least of all the Tzenkethi. Won't go to the battlezone, maybe skip the Lukari reputation alltogether.

Space - the final frontier. These are the adventures of Tovan Khev - told by his loyal servant ... err... Commanding Officer.